Thinking about proposing need help/guidance

Frat version at bottom of this post for you lazy bastards

So I'm 23 graduate college in December and am about to become a contributing member of society.

I've been with my girl (no pics) for a little over 4 years she graduates in May the semester after me.

Well I'm a sucker and willing to bet half my shit that I can spend the rest of my life with her.

Now here comes what I need help with.

I don't know what kind of ring to buy. I have about 2000-2500 that I can spend on it which I know isn't a ton but it's what I've got to work with.

She's mentioned she likes cushion cut diamonds in the past and doesn't like princess cut but holy shit cushion cut are way more expensive! I can get a nicer ring more carats in princess than I can with cushion for the same price.

So here's my predicament, should I get a nicer ring in a different cut or get a lesser ring in the cut she likes? I have no idea what to do.

Frat: cut of diamond my girl likes is expensive, should I get a shitty ring in a cut she likes or a nicer ring in a different cut? Phone Post 3.0

I'm wanting to get her something nicer in a different cut. Is that a bad idea? Phone Post 3.0

Figure out what amount of money would cause you to dwell on it if she jumps ship in a few years. Spend less than that.

Here's my suggestion:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Miabella-1-4-Carat-T.G.W.-Created-White-Sapphire-and-Diamond-Accent-Engagement-Ring-in-Sterling-Silver/20656732

Sorry, I'm pretty jaded. I have some friends who stayed married for more than a few years. I'm almost positive I do. I can think of one, at least.

You can always get her a nicer ring later. If she says yes to a shitty ring she deserves a better one when you can afford it IMO. Marriage isn't about a ring. Phone Post 3.0

Lol @ 23 and wanting to get married. Don't take this the wrong way but you're being a phaggot. Wait a few more years so she can get rid of some of her Krazy and it will give you more time to buy the ring she wants (if she still deserves it). 23 is waaaaaaaay too young. Have you even travelled outside the country? Phone Post 3.0

Here's what id do, but a certified diamond off blue Nile or one of the other online retailers. They're certified stones and roughly half to a third the cost you'd find in a jewelry store.

Have it set as a solitary stone on a simple gold band and tell her you want to pick out the band together that you'll have it set in later.

This way you get a way bigger diamond for your money, the diamond looks way bigger as a solitaire and you can later buy a more intricate band when finances allow, closer to the wedding date.

Diamonds are a terrific waste of money, but I bought my wife one and it's a cultural expectation. So, my sincere advice is go that route. Buy it online at blue Nile or another retailer and get the best diamond your finances allow.

I wish you well in the proposal and marriage, OP. Phone Post 3.0

Oh, another reason for buying a solitaire diamond and having it set in a simple band is that jewelry was created to "add value" over the simple cost of the stones and metals. They use cheap stones in the bands and try to make more off you. Again, diamonds don't have much inherent value so buy a GIA or EGL stone and have it set. Phone Post 3.0

I remember 23... Phone Post 3.0

BIG MISTAKE

Don't. Phone Post 3.0

I'm not gonna be a dick, but think about this...23 is VERY early to get married, especially when you've been with someone since you were 19. If you do it the odds are heavily against it lasting. But here's the good news, you can stay with her and wait longer and get married later with no ill effects. Why don't you wait it out a bit? What's the big rush? Phone Post

At your age no reason to set her up to take half of your shit.  If she's gonna be with you forever, she'll still be there when you're 30 or so and then you can marry her.  But right now is probably a bad plan my friend.

Molsonmuscle360 -

At your age no reason to set her up to take half of your shit.  If she's gonna be with you forever, she'll still be there when you're 30 or so and then you can marry her.  But right now is probably a bad plan my friend.

And this. Phone Post

Petey B - I'm not gonna be a dick, but think about this...23 is VERY early to get married, especially when you've been with someone since you were 19. If you do it the odds are heavily against it lasting. But here's the good news, you can stay with her and wait longer and get married later with no ill effects. Why don't you wait it out a bit? What's the big rush? Phone Post
I was only a couple years older when I proposed but our engagement was a year and a half.

23 is young, but not terrible. Getting engaged doesn't mean they'll be married tomorrow. If you're sure she's the one and you have similar values and wants, it'll be fine. Enjoy the engagement and don't get married the day after you propose and you should be fine. Phone Post 3.0

Conor Took My Money -
Petey B - I'm not gonna be a dick, but think about this...23 is VERY early to get married, especially when you've been with someone since you were 19. If you do it the odds are heavily against it lasting. But here's the good news, you can stay with her and wait longer and get married later with no ill effects. Why don't you wait it out a bit? What's the big rush? Phone Post
I was only a couple years older when I proposed but our engagement was a year and a half.

23 is young, but not terrible. Getting engaged doesn't mean they'll be married tomorrow. If you're sure she's the one and you have similar values and wants, it'll be fine. Enjoy the engagement and don't get married the day after you propose and you should be fine. Phone Post 3.0

With the same girl since he was 19...It's likely that by 30-32 he'll really wonder what he missed being with the same girl since he was a kid. But it's true, only time will tell. Phone Post

Conor Took My Money - 

Most 23 year olds haven't grown into the people they eventually become.

OP, there is zero need for you to get married right now. Enjoy your girl and wait to see where life takes you before proposing.

If you have been with her 4 years and still love her very much and want a family get married. Don't listen to these guys saying she will still be around in 7 years at 30. She needs commitment you are for real after 4 years of dating. If you want a family get it started. I regret not having kids until 33. My friend's kids are already 10 years old and I'm potty training. Phone Post 3.0

Conor Took My Money - Here's what id do, but a certified diamond off blue Nile or one of the other online retailers. They're certified stones and roughly half to a third the cost you'd find in a jewelry store.

Have it set as a solitary stone on a simple gold band and tell her you want to pick out the band together that you'll have it set in later.

This way you get a way bigger diamond for your money, the diamond looks way bigger as a solitaire and you can later buy a more intricate band when finances allow, closer to the wedding date.

Diamonds are a terrific waste of money, but I bought my wife one and it's a cultural expectation. So, my sincere advice is go that route. Buy it online at blue Nile or another retailer and get the best diamond your finances allow.

I wish you well in the proposal and marriage, OP. Phone Post 3.0
This is actually really good advice!!

I'm going to start looking into this.

Thanks VU Phone Post 3.0

Conor Took My Money -

I plan on being engaged for about a year and a half to two years.

My girl and I have talked about it and she wants that to.

So I'd actually be married around 25. If nothing crazy happened. Phone Post 3.0

JonsRental - If you have been with her 4 years and still love her very much and want a family get married. Don't listen to these guys saying she will still be around in 7 years at 30. She needs commitment you are for real after 4 years of dating. If you want a family get it started. I regret not having kids until 33. My friend's kids are already 10 years old and I'm potty training. Phone Post 3.0
This is something my dad told me, he regretted having kids in his 30s. Told me to do it mid 20s. Phone Post 3.0