Thinking of Changing Jobs

Working a pretty secure job in government and looking to switch because I can't take the stress, mostly working with a pregnant supervisor.

A friend of mine told me to apply at his place, a huge utililty company, for an entry position which makes muchas $$$ but is completely different from my field. 

Timing isn't great but I figure I can fall back on my side biz if things go south. Anyone ever changed jobs in the middle of a possible recession?

What level of government? 

Pension after how long? How many years do you have in? 

Are your options for advancement only through getting her job? 

As someowne who has made rash and overly stubborn career decisions, I am very glad that you're wise wnough to accept going in that this a long-game move. 

1 Like

She won't be pregnant forever and when she's done she will be gone for a long time, giving you an opportunity to look great for her replacement

1 Like

LukeJitsu -

She won't be pregnant forever and when she's done she will be gone for a long time, giving you an opportunity to look great for her replacement

That should say "giving you an opportunity to look great as her replacement"

sicko -
LukeJitsu -

That should say "giving you an opportunity to look great as her replacement"

True, but it isn't uncommon for a supervisor to cover during maternity rather than temporarily give someone a higher position. Gets awkward when they return

DaveFu -

As someowne who has made rash and overly stubborn career decisions, I am very glad that you're wise wnough to accept going in that this a long-game move. 

Kind of like mid-tier. Vested after 2 more years and need 15 more years after that for full pension.

I can't advance, there's no real position opening up for me after my level as an analyst. 

Yeah, I've fucked myself before so I'm looking to the OG for wise advice LOL.

DagwoodDogwoggle -

YOU FIGURE you can fall back on your side biz or YOU ARE SECURE in falling back on your side biz?

I'm not saying you can't take a hit, but you have to KNOW what kind of hit you'll be taking and if it will be acceptable when you make decisions like this.  It's not like PJ shopping for houses he'll never make an offer on.  This is real.

Yeah I've got enough income to cover expenses from my side biz but income isn't steady now because of the gubment lockdown. You're right, thats a problem depending on how long the lockdown is.

AnotherTMAguy - 
DaveFu -

Kind of like mid-tier. Vested after 2 more years and need 15 more years after that for full pension.

I can't advance, there's no real position opening up for me after my level as an analyst. 

I was wondering if it was municipal, provincial/state, or national/federal level. 

I guess my advice would be, take your time, don't rule out working for another level of government or other agency, but go ahead and focus on the private sector to keep you motivated. Make some linkedin friends and see if they'll shoot straight with you about exactly how the sausage is made in their offices. 

DaveFu -
AnotherTMAguy - 
DaveFu -

I was wondering if it was municipal, provincial/state, or national/federal level. 

I guess my advice would be, take your time, don't rule out working for another level of government or other agency, but go ahead and focus on the private sector to keep you motivated. Make some linkedin friends and see if they'll shoot straight with you about exactly how the sausage is made in their offices. 

Municipal. Good shout on the LinkedIN, I'm going to update it and look to network.

LukeJitsu - 

Or more time to leave. More time to ponder if you like the job when bitch is not around, or can't stand it regardless.