This is about DE LA RIVA...

A well deserved TTT!!!

Hi Monteiro,

Excellent article about our Master "De La Riva".

HE DID & IS DOING A LOT OF THINGS TO BJJ.

THANKS "DE LA RIVA" FOR ALL, YOU ARE ALWAYS NUMBER 1.

Take care & God Bless You.

Your Friend in Canada,

GUILHERME MAIA

www.bjjmaia.com

ttt

I have had the pleasure of training with Rey Diogo and Andre for a year and he opened my game up with the De La Riva guard. Rey spoke highly of him alot.
I just bought the William Bittencourt DVD's on the DeLa Riva guard and it is by far one of the best instructionals I own. There is so much information in this set that I have to keep watching it over and over to remember things I have forgotten over the years. If you guys want a great open guard game you have to understand and learn the DeLa Riva guard, it is sick!

ttt

First off I just would like to say that many things on the underground are ever written well enough to receive a passing grade in a high school essay, that on the contrary was phenomenal.

Everything you said of De la Riva is true. I was fortunate enough to train with him for three weeks at his academy in Rio. I must say it was nothing short of amazing and probably the best time in my life. I was only a bluse belt then and could only imagine how much better my game would be if I remembered a tenth of the stuff he taught me. Now I am a purple belt under De la Riva and Marcello and evertime he comes to Chicago I grow gitty with excitement.

One thing Jess stated and is very very true, is that De la Riva is a great person.

Aaron J Kreke

I, too, got to train with De La Riva in Rio for a week.
It was an awesome experience from a great teacher....
Jess, if you still want to see your article in print, I'll be glad to post it (with creits) at BJJnews.com.

ttt

ttt

Just got back from Vegas. It's so cool to see how many people read and responded to this! I'm so pleased!

Andrew, I would be delighted to have this up on BJJnews.com . Is there anything you need from me, or can you just copy the article from here on the website and put it up that way? Would you like me to send you some photos of the training to go along with the story? If you need to get in touch with me, just e-mail me through the Opendoorbjj website (put ATTN JESS as the subject header) and let me know.

I have a great idea...some martial arts magazine/website out there should hire me to go around the world and take classes with various BJJ/martial arts instructors. Then I could write articles about all the different experiences, personalities and training techniques I encounter and the magazine could post/print my stories! Any takers? Anyone? Helloooo?!?!?!? ;-)

Jess

BJJSTUDENT2: You're welcome to come and train with us any time you happen to be in the SF Bay area as is anyone else reading this. The OpenDoor Academy is really all about trying to foster more of a sense of community and cooperation between different schools and the students of the various BJJ Academies for the betterment of the sport as a whole (hence the name...). I hope you get a chance to come out here and roll with us sometime.

BenBJJ: I know that DLR got his black belt from Carlson Gracie Sr. in 1986 and has been pivotal in the training of multiple BJJ champions including Minotauro, Marcelo Grosso, and others but Marcello Montiero is really the person to talk to about his history, not me. Montiero's website is: www.bjjcoach.com and there's a link there to his forum, which I know he goes on a lot. It's bit difficult to find but it's on the lower right of the main webpage. De La Riva himself isn't real hooked in with whole internet thing, and even if he was, his English is a bit on the shaky side, so Montiero is probably the best person to get info from. IF you're interested though, DLR's website is: www.delarivajiujitsu.com

There's been a lot of talk about Bittencourt's videos (which I have NOT SEEN...so I have no idea what they actually show and what they dont), and just want to point out that while DLR was one of Bittencourt's instructors, and did sanction the use of his name for his video sales, he himself had nothing to do with the making of those particular videos. He was really angry (really, REALLY angry) when he was over here because the marketing on the videos made it seem like it was an instructional coming directly from him, when in fact he had nothing to do with them at all. I think he and Bittencourt have straightened everything out, but I know that he's asked for his name to not be used (at least to the extent that it was being used) to market the tapes. To be fair, I think his biggest gripe was with the promoter of the videos and not necessarily with Bittencourt. The marketing is kind of deceptive because although the video pitches the 'De La Riva Guard', Bittencourt didn't actually study under De La Riva. He's a student of Marcello Grosso (GROSSO is a student of De La Riva's...but he isn't on the tape either as far as I know). So while Bittencourt is showing techniques to use from the DLR guard, they may not be exactly the same as those that De La Riva teaches himself . Holds shown on the tape are thrice removed from the actual source, and are therefore more vulnerable to possible misinterpretation. A copy of a copy of a copy as it were. Like I said, I haven't seen the videos so I have no idea how true they are to DLR's original teachings, but I do think that the marketing has misrepresented the authenticity and source of the content. Something to keep in mind anyway...

On his last trip to America , De La Riva finished shooting his up-coming 'Chess On the Mat' video with Marcello Montiero in which he himself teaches by showing the various moves, counters, and counter/counters which he's developed through years of study and training. I have no idea when these are going to be out on the market, but if they have even a fraction of the information shown in the seminar, they'll STILL be some of the best around. Once again, Marcello's the best person to talk to. I do know that he's looking for marketing venues for them. Anyone with hook-ups to a website, MA magazine, or other suggestions on how to bring the vids to the widest possible market, please e-mail me. I've volunteered to help market the vids in any way I can just because I was impressed with the guy and I want to see him succeed if for no other reason than it would force him to spend more time over here in America, and therefore I would be able to train with him more.

Jess

Nice read Jess. I wish i could of made it down. hope all is well.

For the record, let me tell the story behind the making of the William Bittencourt DVD series.

I have known De La Riva and Marcelo Grosso for many, many years. I originally produced the Ultimate Streetfighter series with De La Riva and Grosso. Over the years, I have had many opportunities to do more videos with these guys. For some reason or another, we just never got around to it.

Every couple of years or so, we would start a discussion about doing videos. This happend again last year. At this time, William Bittencourt was involved and some dates were put together. A schedule was made for a series of seminars and the video shoot to take place in Orlando. Basically, we had an agreed deal to shoot with De La Riva on these dates. All arrangements were booked including flights and hotels. Then, only 5 days from the shoot, we receive a call from Grosso saying that De La Riva had decided not to go to Orlando. There was no explanation or reason. Everything was cancelled including the seminars that I had nothing to do with, and our video shoot. Being in this business many years, I have learned to roll with the punches. Bittencourt himself was not happy about the cancellations. He had arranged his school times, canceled many classes and took time off from work. So, I suggested that we film without De La Riva and complete the DVDs on the De La Riva guard that we spent a considerable amount of time preparing. Bittencourt called De La Riva and was given the OK. That is the story, period.

I myself was never given a reason for the no show. If anyone is responsible for the Bittencourt series, I would say that it was De La Riva himself. The whole process started with a De La Riva series that included him and then somehow ended in a Bittencourt series. Its not like we called the guy one day and said, “hey Ricardo, we are shooting some moves on the De La Riva guard, is it Ok?”. Ricardo De La Riva was 100% involved in the whole process from start to finish and then gave Bittencourt his blessing when he bowed out.

Another thing that I would like to add is that we actually held off on the release of the Bittencourt guard series. William can confirm this. Why? Because we had heard that he filmed another series called “Chess on the Mat” and that De La Riva was involved in the sales and distribution of that series. We decided that it would be better to let De La Riva sell his series first and take his market share. However, the series never came to market and I decided that we waited long enough.

I consider De La Riva and Grosso to be friends and I have not heard of any ill feelings about the series. In fact, I had just seen both of them at a show in Brazil and few months ago. Nothing was ever mentioned. However, I am going to speak with him on this matter to clarify some of these statements about him being upset with me or Bittencourt.

Paul Viele

One last thing that I would like to comment on is the statement made by Jess, that the marketing of the Bittencourt series was shady and a misrepresentation of the product. This is also not even close to fact. The original series that was to star De La Riva himself, was to be filmed with Bittencourt as the partner. This was arranged by De La Riva himself. Bittencourt was to do the speaking and was considered the most likely choice and one of the most knowledgeable students of De La Riva and Grosso. To say now that Bittencourt is far removed from source of the De La Riva guard, and that his knowledge is second hand is just simply inaccurate. Bittencourt is a Black Belt and a Brazilian himself. He has trained with De La Riva and Grosso for many years. He may have more knowledge of the De La Riva guard of any person living in the USA. It may be an interesting “read” and a great “story” to hear about how De La Riva was somehow wronged, but it is one that is untrue and not based on fact.
Paul Viele

I own the Bittencourt set and have not seen Reys set on the De La Riva Guard but I will say that If you have both , there is enough info to give you a well rounded De La Riva guard game.

William shows alot of techniques from the De La Riva guard that I have not seen before but are very practical and in all cases very probable. I use this guard more than any other and since viewing the Bittencourt series my guard game has stepped up 100%. I swept two browns and one black belt with the new sweeps from this series a couple of days after watching them. Only swept of course before I got worked by them. Anyways I think they are a very good series and worth every penny. It can only improve your game.

Just my two cents....

look at the guys he's traied.. liborio , sperry and mintatouro brothers.. amonngst other.. not bad i would say

Hey paul Viele how you doing?
We never meet,my name is Sergio Silva and I'm black belt of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Marcello Monteiro over De La Riva Association USA.
We have been working very hard to keep De La Riva name up to the top as much as we can.I have been going to Indianapolis to teach and train with Marcello Monteiro and Monteiro have been coming here as much as possible as well.
Having De La Riva over here at my academy was something very special,specially b/c a year ago I had 2 students and in these days I have almost 70 students where I respect every each one of them.
I know Willian Bittencourt and we used train together in Florida,he is a very nice guy and a good instructor.
Would be very nice if all the misunderstanding could be put on the table and we be able to understand each outher.
Ricardo De La Riva was very upset with all this market strategy that you used to promote the DVD where in my point the view was a very good plan,the problem that I saw later on in this case that the name "De La Riva" was used a lot and the DVD was not selling Willian Bittencourt and was selling Ricardo De La Riva,after a while seen the product here and there and asked Monteiro if De La Riva was happy about his DVD's series selling in USA,Marcello told me that he kinda knew but was not "that" involve with the whole marketing envolve in this situation.(DLR is not a internet guy)so he was not able to see what people was doing with his name.Someone from a different direction came to him and asked him how much money he got from these specials DVD's.De La Riva simply said:"Nothing"
UAL,nothing??????
A lot of people tought that De La Riva was getting his cut and was pretty happy about that.But the real truth is that De La Riva did not got any cut whatsoever and his name was selling like crazy through internet and he was not aware of that.
If I was De La Riva I would pretty upset as well,specially b/c he was trying to get in touch with anyone that was responsable from the DVD's and he could not get in contact with anybody.
He saw the marketing and after all he was very upset,not becouse you guys did the tape,the main reason why he was upset is b/c you guys was not selling Willian Bittencourt,you guys was selling De La Riva in that DVD.He was upset becouse of that.
That was your strategy to make those tapes sell,and I totally understand that but using DLR's name the way you used made him upset and thinking about that strategy.Ricardo De La Riva lives in Rio De Janeiro and he just comes here for seminar and private classes,Marcello Monteiro was one of the most trusted and the guy that follow almost every single step of the Master De La Riva and him himself was pretty upset to see some kinda of statement that you just made:

"He may have more knowledge of the De La Riva guard of any person living in the USA",

That would be hard to see if you were Monteiro's that trained almost his whole life and now build this beautiful association:De La Riva association,De La Riva was present in Willian's black belt promotion under Marcello Grosso.
But I really don't wanna get envolve in that I think we should be put all the truth on the table and be able to be a part of the same TEAM.We are De La Riva Association and we should be all together on this and try not to fight.
I've been working very hard every day and I really wanna make De La Riva association very big over here at the West Coast,De LA Riva have very good representatives over here and we need to be together to be able to keep bringing DLR over here to United States.That way everyone wins and De La Riva is happy to come here and share his knowledge.
I hope everthing is well!

Sincerely,Sergio Silva

I heard a rumor that William never trained or visited De La Riva's academy in Brazil is this true ?

Mr. Viele,

My husband always says that there are 3 sides to every story: his side, her side, and the truth. It seemed odd to me that someone would make a De La Riva Guard video without DLR himself somehow involved. Now I know why and I stand corrected. I myself have been involved with video production in the past and know what it's like when people I'm depending on just fail to show. I feel like banging my head into a tree and screaming. Like you, what I've done is just gone ahead and worked with the people who DID show rather than put the whole production in the trash. I was not trying to be dishonest in my post and stated clearly that I had NOT  SEEN the videos. I haven't. When I asked if Bittencourt was DLR's student, I was told 'No, he's a student of Marcello Grosso.' I know that Chess on the Mat has been filmed but it's very possible that it's YOU that we owe thanks to for that. Were it not for the release of Bittencourt's vids I can imagine the project being put off again and again until it became nothing more than the dream that never happened. Perhaps it's Brazilians or perhaps it's just the whole Jiu Jitsu personality, but I've noticed that nothing fuels the fires of Black Belt creativity like a challenge (real or percieved) to whatever they consider thier personal domain.

Until I got your side of the story I had no idea that you had tried to include DLR in your project all along. It may be that DLR made a big mistake and underestimated your production and promotional capabilities. Like I stated before, he's not really hooked in to the internet at all and it's quite possible that he didn't realize how big the whole MA video craze has become. I can understand his frustration at having YOUR video be the first thing that comes up whenever someone types in HIS name into a search engine; you have to admit...that could be really infuriating for anyone. HOWEVER...I also have seen Brazilians be victims of thier own suspicion and scepticism time and time again. It seems like there's almost a cultural taboo against believing in the good intentions of someone they haven't known for a long, long time. And when someone doesn't believe in you, your ideas, or your honesty, doing bussiness or creating anything meaningful with that person is impossible.

I don't know DLR very well, though obviously I was very, VERY impressed with his as both a teacher and a person. I have no idea why he wasn't able to go to Orlando or the video shoot. I do know that most Brazilians I've met have a kind of 'show me the money' attitude. They need to see proof that something is REAL and not just a pile of pretty words before they're willing to put thier faith in anything...bussiness, personal relationships, projects, whatever. This is probably why out of all the peoples in the world, it was Brazilians who developed the most practical martial art ever known. But this same innate scepticism can sometimes blind them to possibilities and opportunities that could really benefit them if they could only take a small leap of faith. I dont know that this is what happened, but I agree that it's strange that you weren't given any explanation for his cancelling out on you and that he didn't call to arrange another video shoot. I'm curious, was it with HIM that you were actually arranging everything, or were negotiations happening through a third party? It's easy to imagine confusion happening in a situation such as that.

De La Riva is a good man, Monteiro is a good man, and from your post it seems that you are a man of honor as well. It's apparent that somewhere along the way a communication foul up happened. That doesn't mean it has to continue. DLR is a brilliant instructor and technician and it seems that you are a brilliant promoter. If you can get things straightened out, the entire MA community could benefit from the results and EVERYONE would win. I know De La Riva will be open to speaking with you and listening to what you have to say.

Jess

Sergio Silva,

It is a pleasure to meet you. As of today, I have already removed Ricardo’s name from our internet advertising in relationship to the Bittencourt series. The series of course is on the De La Riva guard so that cannot be changed. There are actually 3 other products on the market that are on the topic of the De La Riva guard.

I can understand his concerns about his name being used. I have had conversations with him in the past abut this. The De La Riva guard is of course no different from a Kimura arm lock named after the Japanese fighter, “Kimura”.

I wish that Ricardo himself or Marcelo Grosso would have contacted me about this. Anyway, it is water under the bridge and please inform him that we will not use his name again in relation to the series other then calling the techniques, De La Riva Guard techniques.