This is how glove touch should be done

Ugh so frustrated with cheap shots off glove touch at the beginning of the round.  This is how a glove touch SHOULD work:

Ref: Fighter, are you ready? (Yes) Fighter, are the ready? (Yes). Let’s get it on! (Claps hands)

Fighters move *slowly* to center of the octagon with fist extended.  Fighters mutually touch gloves at center of the ring.  Then, fighters back up and RETURN TO THEIR CORNERS, then the ref says “go!” and then all bets are off (I.e. approach and attack at will).  This definitively eliminates any potential cheap shots or allegations of cheap shots, and everyone is on the same page. 

If you agree say yeah!

No. They have an opportunity to touch gloves when they meet in the center of the octagon. If they want to do it again after the ref says go, then it’s up to them to risk it. Why the hell would they bring them to the center to go over the rules, have them go back to their corners, say lets get it on, have them come out expressly to touch gloves, then back to their corners, and say okay now fight. Makes no sense.

To be clear, if a fighter throws a cheap shot off a glove touch I think they are a total piece of shit.

ArmbarKing - No. They have an opportunity to touch gloves when they meet in the center of the octagon. If they want to do it again after the ref says go, then it's up to them to risk it. Why the hell would they bring them to the center to go over the rules, have them go back to their corners, say lets get it on, have them come out expressly to touch gloves, then back to their corners, and say okay now fight. Makes no sense.

To be clear, if a fighter throws a cheap shot off a glove touch I think they are a total piece of shit.

I agree with this.

Once the fight starts it’s time to fight. Stop the buddy-buddy sparring atmosphere type of stuff and win your fight.

If you look for a glove touch again after the ref already gave you that opportunity, you deserve a cheap shot. Protect yourself at all times.

ArmbarKing - No. They have an opportunity to touch gloves when they meet in the center of the octagon. If they want to do it again after the ref says go, then it's up to them to risk it. Why the hell would they bring them to the center to go over the rules, have them go back to their corners, say lets get it on, have them come out expressly to touch gloves, then back to their corners, and say okay now fight. Makes no sense.

I get this, in a perfect world yes, but the reality is it has become the norm / social convention to do a second glove touch, so we have to establish some ground rules for that second touch…

StrikingMMA -
ArmbarKing - No. They have an opportunity to touch gloves when they meet in the center of the octagon. If they want to do it again after the ref says go, then it's up to them to risk it. Why the hell would they bring them to the center to go over the rules, have them go back to their corners, say lets get it on, have them come out expressly to touch gloves, then back to their corners, and say okay now fight. Makes no sense.

I agree with this.

Once the fight starts it’s time to fight. Stop the buddy-buddy sparring atmosphere type of stuff and win your fight.

If you look for a glove touch again after the ref already gave you that opportunity, you deserve a cheap shot. Protect yourself at all times.

Ok fine, but then the proposal is to eliminate the second glove touch, which I’m fine with, but it takes 2 parties to do that so not as simple as one guy declining (bc the declining party will be accused of cheap shot)

That's hilarious op.

Im not a fan of touching gloves. 

You do it once before the fight starts. 

That shit's for sparring. 

greco yeoman - 
ArmbarKing - No. They have an opportunity to touch gloves when they meet in the center of the octagon. If they want to do it again after the ref says go, then it's up to them to risk it. Why the hell would they bring them to the center to go over the rules, have them go back to their corners, say lets get it on, have them come out expressly to touch gloves, then back to their corners, and say okay now fight. Makes no sense.

I get this, in a perfect world yes, but the reality is it has become the norm / social convention to do a second glove touch, so we have to establish some ground rules for that second touch…

The ground rule is that when the ref says fight, and the timer starts, it’s a fight and to expect the guy not to hit you is a risk you take.

Again, if you are the type of fighter that fakes a glove touch to land a cheap shot I hold you in the highest level of contempt. But this suggestion is ridiculous, sorry.

Don't do it. High 5, hug or buy eachother beers afterwards.

I remember when Anderson fought Hendo.

When Hendo extended his glove as the fight began, Silva waved off a second glove touch and a lot of people said it was poor sportsmanship.

Just touch gloves before the fight begins and be done with it.  

That way, there is no room for what can be deemed as a cheap shot.

Absolutely not. If you’re putting enough trust in the man about to try and put your jaw in the third row that you’d let your guard down and give him a slow high five before the fight starts you deserve what comes to you. Show respect and honor post fight, but don’t put faith in someone who’s signed up to hurt you. 

I used to tell my opponent in the pre fight meeting I don’t touch gloves. That being said, Ive never had annimosity toward any opponent post fight.

This

i am not a fan of any glove touch after the ref starts the fight. if your reaching for a touch and get knocked silly, good for you, an unfortunate for the winner because its hard to add that shit to your highlight reel.

HYBRID JON - I used to tell my opponent in the pre fight meeting I don't touch gloves. That being said, Ive never had annimosity toward any opponent post fight.

Ditto. 

I always wished my opponents luck before the fight, discussed an initial glove touch and then made it clear we were both there to fight abd put on a show.

Protect yourself at all times. The start of the round means "fight" not "fellowship" .

HYBRID JON - I used to tell my opponent in the pre fight meeting I don't touch gloves. That being said, Ive never had annimosity toward any opponent post fight.

I like this 

Hocky - 

I remember when Anderson fought Hendo.

When Hendo extended his glove as the fight began, Silva waved off a second glove touch and a lot of people said it was poor sportsmanship.

Just touch gloves before the fight begins and be done with it.  

That way, there is no room for what can be deemed as a cheap shot.

I’m not an Anderson fan, but he’s 100% in the right there

Touching gloves after the round has started is unnecessary. Would prefer fighters came out of the gate swinging.

I’m team no glove touch. 

I don’t want to see any good sportsmanship until after they are done trying to kill each other. 

Ref says fight, get to fighting. Don’t waste ten seconds with a gay ass glove touch. 

After the fight by all means hug or fuck for all I care. But until the fight is over it’s a war!

ArmbarKing -
greco yeoman - 

The ground rule is that when the ref says fight, and the timer starts, it’s a fight and to expect the guy not to hit you is a risk you take.

Again, if you are the type of fighter that fakes a glove touch to land a cheap shot I hold you in the highest level of contempt. But this suggestion is ridiculous, sorry.

It becomes confusing when 1 guy comes out crouching a little but with his hand up. I don't know about his opponent but I can't tell sometimes if he's protecting himself ot looking for a high 5. Touch gloves before the fight then not again til the end. A smile or head nod is just as good if you want to acknowledge an apology for an accidental foul.