This is how glove touch should be done

Real Muthaphuckkin G -

I’m team no glove touch. 

I don’t want to see any good sportsmanship until after they are done trying to kill each other. 

Ref says fight, get to fighting. Don’t waste ten seconds with a gay ass glove touch. 

After the fight by all means hug or fuck for all I care. But until the fight is over it’s a war!

Lmao @ fuck 

greco yeoman - 
Real Muthaphuckkin G -

I’m team no glove touch. 

I don’t want to see any good sportsmanship until after they are done trying to kill each other. 

Ref says fight, get to fighting. Don’t waste ten seconds with a gay ass glove touch. 

After the fight by all means hug or fuck for all I care. But until the fight is over it’s a war!

Lmao @ fuck 

LOL

greco yeoman -
ArmbarKing - No. They have an opportunity to touch gloves when they meet in the center of the octagon. If they want to do it again after the ref says go, then it's up to them to risk it. Why the hell would they bring them to the center to go over the rules, have them go back to their corners, say lets get it on, have them come out expressly to touch gloves, then back to their corners, and say okay now fight. Makes no sense.

To be clear, if a fighter throws a cheap shot off a glove touch I think they are a total piece of shit.

I get this, in a perfect world yes, but the reality is it has become the norm / social convention to do a second glove touch, so we have to establish some ground rules for that second touch…

There should only be one touch. When the ref says go there should be no glove touching or hugging. If you try to and get punched, too bad. I would be feinting glove touches all the time.

All fights should have a face off in the center. Touch gloves there if you want then go back to your corner and wait for the bell and ref to signal the start. Touch gloves again at this point at your own risk/descretion. I absolutely would not touch again and I'd let my opponent know this at the face off. Rockhold does this. 

UFC only does center of the cage face offs for the main event and championship fights and that's it.

There’s too much glove touching in mma anyway, so I enjoy seeing the “cheapshot” from the glove touch. <br />I think it was Josh Thompson v. Bobby Green (UFC San Jose) that I counted more glove touches than landed strikes.

Ideally yah who gives a fuck about the glove touch, but it seems to be a characteristic of some of the best fights I've seen. 

The ref doesnt always bring you to the middle. Many times my name was announced, the ref would say after I walked in, hey man I went over the rules any questions.

Then my opponent walks out and ref does the same to him. The announcer says our names, ref says fight.

No meeting in the middle, so a lot of times you give the look like are we touching gloves or what once the bell rings. I think a lot of these guys had that experience and ita different in big shows. It just feels natural to do it. The fan may think were angry or there is animosity. For alot of us it's just what we do and being respectful is part of it 

They should bring the fighters to the center for all fights, not just main events and title fights.  That is the opportunity to touch gloves.  When the bell rings you've got 5 minutes to beat your opponent's ass.  Don't waste precious seconds trying to touch gloves.

The should be allowed to come to the center for instructions before the fight to touch gloves. The when the ref starts the fight, they should be allowed to come back to the center to touch gloves with no punching and return to their corners. Then after they come back out and hop a minimum of 3 times each there should be ready tp parry a glove touch attempt.

If both fighters agree  before the fight, there should be a 15 second timeout for hugging after flashing moves or knockdowns. 

After the fight there should be a mandatory naked hot tub session with the opponent (no media allowed) as standard good sportsmanship practice

ArmbarKing - No. They have an opportunity to touch gloves when they meet in the center of the octagon. If they want to do it again after the ref says go, then it's up to them to risk it. Why the hell would they bring them to the center to go over the rules, have them go back to their corners, say lets get it on, have them come out expressly to touch gloves, then back to their corners, and say okay now fight. Makes no sense.

To be clear, if a fighter throws a cheap shot off a glove touch I think they are a total piece of shit.

You realize that only happens in title fights and main events right? 

The entire purpose of the glove touch is that it is performed during the fight and both fighters elect not to attack each other during it.  To make it completely without the risk of a cheap shot is against the spirit of the tradition.

Son of Neckbone -

The entire purpose of the glove touch is that it is performed during the fight and both fighters elect not to attack each other during it.  To make it completely without the risk of a cheap shot is against the spirit of the tradition.

Came to say this.

How would the scenario in the op be any different than the glove touch during the staredown? The glove touch once the fight has began demonstrates both fighters are willing to fight honourably.

how about they touch gloves before the fight and they fight when they are supposed to fight.

I think it’s funny. Entertaining. I’d like to see somebody win a UFC belt that way.

Glove touch followed immediately by concussive strike - opponent is down and dazed - camel clutch is applied to the downed opponent - opponent taps. New champion.

OP is an idiot... Glove touch is already done at the beginning. They need to stop doing it again later on or in any other rounds

All this thought going into something that’s fine as it is.

Glove touch is optional. And, yes, one of the options is to be a dick head and pretend to go for a glove touch before firing a right hand. 

You don’t want to get snuck, don’t engage in that Pollyanna bullshit to begin with. 

LOL @ all the “tough guys” on here actually vouching for cheap shots to “teach a lesson”. I like the show of respect actually, but fine when a fighter clearly says he won’t do it… or doesn’t do it. But cheap shots?

Jake Thomas -

how about they touch gloves before the fight and they fight when they are supposed to fight.

This. Once the clock starts no stupid glove touch. You have a limited amount of time to KO or Tap out the other guy so don’t waste ten seconds with your glove taping bull shit. 

How many fignts “would have” ended within ten seconds but the bell rang to save a fighter?  Maybe if they didn’t touch pee pees at the beginning of the round they would have had another 6 seconds to win the fight. 

I fucking hate glove touches to start fights.

If your opponent is dumb enough to leave himself open between the bells, you are even a bigger idiot if you don’t take advantage of it.

Protect yourself at all times,  this isn't fucking bowling

I don't hate that idea.  Or just don't glove touch at all.