This is what I ate yesterday...

Breakfast- 4 boiled egss and a bottle of water

snack- PB&J on whole wheat, more H2O

Lunch- Mixed veg and brown rice with habenero sauce. More H2O

Snack- PB&J on whole wheat. Still more H2O

After training- Whey protein shake

Supper- Mixed green salad with peppers,onions and mushrooms w/peppercorn dressing. Alot more H2O.

I FEEL GREAT!!! What say you nutrition experts. I could eat like this every day!!!

Chango

you should try to have a protein source at every feeding. Your lunch and supper don't have any.

PB&J: lots of sugar from the jam.

Good point about the Jam. I recently switched to smuckers sugar free Strawberry jelly.

Do you think if I add sliced eggs and cheese to the salad at supper, that would help?? and maybe another protein shake after lunch?

I am not eating meat. See the "Vegetarian on a bet" thread. Also i would like to keep the daily caloric intake to around 2500-2800.

Chango

You could probably do better in the protein department.

Replace your lunchtime rice with beans. Adding eggs and cheese would be a good idea, imo.

Otherwise I think you're doing well.

The real problem that I have found with this "No meat" wager, is that I am replacing the meat that I would have eaten, with starches. Pasta, rice, bread,potato, etc.

I need to up the Veg and decrease the starch, even though I really don't like many vegetables.

Chango

ChangoBravo - Breakfast- 4 boiled egss and a bottle of water

snack- PB&J on whole wheat, more H2O

Lunch- Mixed veg and brown rice with habenero sauce. More H2O

Snack- PB&J on whole wheat. Still more H2O

After training- Whey protein shake

Supper- Mixed green salad with peppers,onions and mushrooms w/peppercorn dressing. Alot more H2O.

That's about 2000 calories, 70g fat, 234g carbs, 105g protein.

That's only about half the protein you need, and probably double the carbs, and a bit too much fat. Add another protein shake instead of the pb&j, maybe.

Since you don't say how old you are, how much you weigh, what your goal is or your BF%, not much more one can say.

the thing is starches are not really a replacement for meat.

meat = protein

starches = carbs

Totally diff. macronutrients

Can you eat fish and seafood in your bet? if so, try to incorporate some of it to your diet. Canned tuna is like protein in a can and is super easy to put on a salad.

Try this:
1 can tuna, 1 egg beaten, a bit of small diced veg., some grated cheese. Mix together, make patties put and cook it in a pan.

Cottage cheese is also loaded with protein.

Tofu (even thought i'm not a big fan...)

Sim- I understand tha tstarches are not a replacement for meat.

I understand the differences betweem carbohydrate and protein.

What I am trying to explain is that 2 weeks ago a Physician colleague and myself made a wager of no meat for 6 months.

Since that time I have filled the void that would normally be a meat portion, with additional starches or pasta etc.

I realize that my percentage of Carbohydrates has gone way up and my protein way down.

I am not allowed any meat of any sort. Cheese and eggs and dairy are ok.

I had forgotten about cottage cheese as a protein source. Thanks for reminding me! I am not a fan of Tofu either. Something about the consistancy that is not quite right.

Chango

You could also add a cup of seeds or nuts here and there. That has a fair amount of protein without being a starch.

WSP- I don't know if this helps but:

I'm a fatass!

36 years old
5'11
235 lbs
I have no idea what my BF% is.
I would like to get to about 200lbs. I think that doing BJJ will accomplish this in relatively short order, but I do want to clean up my diet.

Chango

+1 one for nuts. source of good fats as well.

But you didn't answer for fish? is it considered as meat in your bet?

also, you could try quinoa instead of rice

It is a grain that is also a good source of protein, fiber, iron (which you might want since you don't eat red meat) and other micro-nutrients.

Combine pinto beans with brown rice for a more complete source of vegan protein.

simthefarmer - +1 one for nuts. source of good fats as well.

But you didn't answer for fish? is it considered as meat in your bet?

Yeah. Almonds for a snack. Good idea!

About the fish: No dice! Can't eat anything that ever had a mama!

I have heard about Quinoa, but can't find it in a regular grocery store. I'll make a trip to Whole Foods(upscale grocery in my area)and see if they carry it.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Chango

There's a ton of debate about nutrition, i think the best thing to do is to give it a shot for a little while to see how it goes; establish a baseline, then as you tweak things you have a standard for comparison.

What you're eating looks healthy, makes you feel good, and (assuming you feel energetic) seems pretty solid. Many people feel you need to eat a great deal of protein, especially in the S&C community, but several nutritionists I have spoken to all seem to think this is silly (as an example of "some protein is good for muscle building, so I'll eat BUCKETS AND BUCKETS of protein and it will be even better! FUCK YEAH!).

I don't know who is correct (I mistrust nutritionists in general, though), but I always feel the best when I eat a lot of plants and low-fat meat (chicken, turkey, and fish instead of TONS AND TONS of STEAK).

As per the no meat thing, beans are a pretty easy source of meat-free protein.

also, with all the PB you are eating, make sure you use the all natural PB which is 100% made from peanuts. Not the hydrogenated oil version

Yeah. I'm eating natural peanut butter. The only ingredients are peanuts and salt. I love the way the oil separates out at the top!

Chango

I say add more peanut butter and water,and make sure you continue to disregard meat.

voorhees - I say add more peanut butter and water,and make sure you continue to disregard meat.

if you read the thread you would see that there is a reason why he disregards meat

I read it,its silly to follow the rules of a bet,but @the same time ask for optimal nutrition advice.

"I want to invade North Korea,but I told my wife I wouldnt use any aircraft."