THIS is why you WANT a Peloton

The ADS.  You are being SOLD a dream

and LOL the twitter humor:

An over-the-top Peloton ad showing the super-wealthy biking in penthouses, zen gardens, and sunrooms led to one of the year's best Twitter threads

Exercise startup Peloton makes high-end stationary bikes -- and over-the-top advertising geared toward the affluent.

Earlier this year, social-media users took to Twitter to poke fun at Peloton's ads, which typically feature a physically fit person cycling in a luxurious home.

Peloton filed for its IPO on Tuesday, reporting it generated $915 million in revenue last fiscal year, which ended in June.

Peloton is known for its high-end stationary bikes -- and its over-the-top advertising.

Peloton's advertising has also gained notoriety, but for all the wrong reasons. Earlier this year, people took to Twitter to make fun of Peloton's ads. The glossy marketing campaign featured physically fit users cycling in modern, luxurious homes that often overlook a futuristic metropolis or expansive backyard. Oh, and their Peloton is almost exclusively positioned somewhere in the middle of the room.-------

https://www.businessinsider.com/people-on-twitter-are-ripping-apart-pelotons-unrealistic-ad-campaigns-2019-8

and here is a example of the twitter humor:

Clue Heywood@ClueHeywood

· Jan 27, 2019

Replying to @ClueHeywood

Probably the worst thing about putting a Peloton bike in my spotless huge kitchen is when my dumb kid interrupts the workout. Where is Consuela? She has one job!

Clue Heywood@ClueHeywood

Sometimes I'll move the Peloton bike into our gallery so I can spend time with my half gay husband while he reads Architectural Digest wearing combat boots

You want a peloton because in the breakaways you end up burning a LOT more energy due to wind resistance.

There is a reason that all flat stages are peloton stages right up until the final sprint.

1 Like

Clue Heywood@ClueHeywood

· Jan 27, 2019

Replying to @ClueHeywood

My bright and airy sunroom is a great place for the Peloton bike. I leave the arcadia door ajar so I feel like I'm actually riding a bicycle...outside!

Clue Heywood@ClueHeywood

· Jan 27, 2019

Replying to @ClueHeywood

I had my carpenter build a $9,000 finished wood riser for my Peloton bike in my glass-enclosed zen garden/home gym

Clue Heywood@ClueHeywood

· Jan 28, 2019

Replying to @ClueHeywood

Last year we painstakingly remodeled a midcentury modern house in the hills, including furniture from the period. Then I put my Peloton bike right in the middle of the living room.

Despite the comedic Twitter threads, Peloton's marketing team has said the campaigns were intentional and not a joke. In fact, the marketing had been intended for wealthy clientele from the beginning.  "We had this idea of a very affluent rider who many of our early adopters were," Carolyn Tisch Blodgett, Peloton's brand marketing lead, told the Wall Street Journal. -------(article)

but you can be certain it will be a MUST HAVE among the FAUX rich credit-debtor peasant class

FIRST RULE of getting rich?  GET RICH FIRST then enjoy the Peloton lifestyle.  Until then, buy a economy peasant class spinner from Walmart.com and use a FREE youtube spinning class

The CEO of exercise-bike startup Peloton says the company 'sells happiness' in his big pitch to investors

Peloton's IPO documents include a letter from CEO John Foley, who wrote that Peloton "sells happiness" at its most basic level.

The letter downplays the fact that, fundamentally, Peloton sells $2,000 indoor bikes, instead describing the firm as a "global technology platform" and a "media company."

"It is no secret that exercise makes us feel good," Foley wrote. "It's simple science: exercising creates endorphins and endorphins make us happy. On the most basic level, Peloton sells happiness."

The firm revealed spiraling losses of more than $500 million in its results.------

https://www.businessinsider.com/peloton-ceo-sells-happiness-more-than-bikes-2019-8

the few people i know that bought a peloton now use it as a clothes hanger...they ended up just getting back on real bikes, lol

a vigorous jog or leisurely stroll OUTSIDE and UNPLUGGED with views of REAL trees and other nature things is FREE

a spin on the peloton is not-so-free ;)

In Limbo -

the few people i know that bought a peloton now use it as a clothes hanger...they ended up just getting back on real bikes, lol

Im positive most home gym equipment eventually turns into a place to hang your clothes. 

I still don't understand what it is?

Is it just an exercise bike, but with 1000% mark up? Why?

"It is an opportunity to create one of the most important and influential interactive media companies in the world; a media company that changes lives, inspires greatness, and unites people."------(article)

LOL I connected with people on my daily walk when I said HELLO to them and there was NO CHARGE.  sometimes I even enjoy a FREE chat wiith some of the park walking regulars

Conor McGazelle -

because they are SELLING you HAPPINESS

Al Cappucino -
In Limbo -

Im positive most home gym equipment eventually turns into a place to hang your clothes. 

we actually use our home-gym equipment, love the convenience and money spent on gym fees can be used to IMPROVE our position :)

My wife's sister got one for her birthday last year and she said she wanted one too. We looked at them and apparently you can't even just pay for one outright. You are stuck making payments for a year I think. Or you have to buy a year subscription to their workout videos or something stupid like that. We didn't buy one. 

Conor McGazelle - 

IIRC, it's an above average exercise bike so they initially priced it that way with like a 150% markup.

nobody bought it. the company was failing.

then someone had the bright idea that they should just mark it up even more. like 1000%. this way people would perceive it to be even more exclusive/premium/luxury.

sales skyrocketed.

people are weird like that. when the peloton was selling at a fraction of the cost nobody wanted it. but now that it's like 3 grand and a status symbol everybody wants one.

i have a friend that has one. this friend is a hedge fund manager, has a multimillion dollar home, and pretty much only owns high end luxury stuff.

tapnaporsnapbro - 
Conor McGazelle - 

IIRC, it's an above average exercise bike so they initially priced it that way with like a 150% markup.

nobody bought it. the company was failing.

then someone had the bright idea that they should just mark it up even more. like 1000%. this way people would perceive it to be even more exclusive/premium/luxury.

sales skyrocketed.

people are weird like that. when the peloton was selling at a fraction of the cost nobody wanted it. but now that it's like 3 grand and a status symbol everybody wants one.

i have a friend that has one. this friend is a hedge fund manager, has a multimillion dollar home, and pretty much only owns high end luxury stuff.

That strategy was a big part of how Jay-Z turned some bullshit champagne into a huge brand that's now something like $300+ million of his net worth.

As I understand the story, he got into some kinda beef with champagne company Cristal. So he took over some small champagne company (don't remember the name), started putting it in his videos, and jacked up the price eleventy billion percent.

Now it's a gold mine.

Al Cappucino -
In Limbo -

My wifes tredmill made a good drying rack for clothes, after the first month of course.

theraskal -

a vigorous jog or leisurely stroll OUTSIDE and UNPLUGGED with views of REAL trees and other nature things is FREE

a spin on the peloton is not-so-free ;)

going outside entails mixing with the rabble, the peasants, and the great unwashed. who will either rape you or talk to you, whichever is worse.

I don't want a peloton because the price for that exercise bike is ridiculous.