This should be banned in finals

Pre-decided finishes? Team mate against Team mate? This sort of ending is disrespectful to all the others in the bracket who busted their gut trying to make it to the finals. Why bother going through the motions.

Even the ref is totally disinterested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU3Zc-LlpSg

And how do you exactly regulate this and what do you propose as an alternative?

You either don't allow teamates to compete in the same division or ammend the rules to say that that brackets can't be closed out in the case of 2 teammates in the finals.

It's pretty lame that this goes on, even Roger Gracie spoke against it at the Worlds. He said had his teammate not been injured he would most definitely have faced him in the finals.

Roger did face him last Romulo last year anyways.

To be honest I can see both sides to this. I think it varries from case to case

asscobra -  You either don't allow teamates to compete in the same division or ammend the rules to say that that brackets can't be closed out in the case of 2 teammates in the finals.
It's pretty lame that this goes on, even Roger Gracie spoke against it at the Worlds. He said had his teammate not been injured he would most definitely have faced him in the finals.

ammend the rules and people will just blatantly throw fights.

There is really no way to stop matches like that. At least the rolled and there is still a "winner" and "loser".

What I have a huge problem with is when team mates "close out" a bracket and don't have a final match. An easy way to stop that would be automatic DQ for both guys.

asscobra -  You either don't allow teamates to compete in the same division or ammend the rules to say that that brackets can't be closed out in the case of 2 teammates in the finals.

roger is the best. paper, rock , scissors as a way to determine who wins a bjj comp is really disrespectful.

it is bjj, not mma. they could have a roll and go at it, shit.

I think closing out a division is AWESOME and not disrespectful. Every one had a chance to beat them no one did.

Competing against a team mate would suck

KUIndustries - I think closing out a division is AWESOME and not disrespectful. Every one had a chance to beat them no one did.

I agree. "Bowing out" to your senior or your instructor is a huge show of respect to them and has little to do with anyone else in the division. Everyone else is already out.

Ah... this old chestnut....

If BJJ ever wants to be a spectator sport, then the practice of bowing out will have to end. No audience would seriously pay money to watch people not fight. The immediate answer is to only allow one fighter per team per division, which is a shame as we would then miss out on having Marcelo and Sergio Moraes fighting in the same comps.

Judo used never allow more then one athlete per country per division, but the last World Cup in Tokyo allowed 2 per country. It'll be interesting to see what happens when 2 Japanese (or any nation) fighters meet, but I bet you won't see anyone bowing out...

James

This and the celebrations that go on and on are the down fall of the world chapionships you would never see this in any other martial art

I can't believe people are complaining about this! There is some HUGE actual problems with the IBJJF and people are complaining about this rare occasion!

Jorx - I can't believe people are complaining about this! There is some HUGE actual problems with the IBJJF and people are complaining about this rare occasion!

lol at rare, you don't watched too many comps do you?

shen - 
KUIndustries - I think closing out a division is AWESOME and not disrespectful. Every one had a chance to beat them no one did.

I agree. "Bowing out" to your senior or your instructor is a huge show of respect to them and has little to do with anyone else in the division. Everyone else is already out.

They don't always bow out to the senior/instructor. Samuel braga bowed out to his teammate this year because he hadn't ever won a world championship I remember reading.

Dead Roman - If you dont want to compete, then you shouldnt compete. If I came up against one of my teammates in competition I would not give them the win just because they were my teammate. If you are going to compete, and dont want to go against teammates then you should make sure you can be in a differeant weight class or something.

If a teammate is planning to enter the same division as you in a tournament then plan it out ahead of time and have you or the other guy cut weight and end up in a different division.

If not then both guys should go at it in the finals. So what if they're teammates. That would be unfortunate tho cuz the other guy would know all your moves and tricks. But if 2 people from the same team were to enter the same division, they should worry about making it to the finals more than what should they do if they both make it to the finals.

My teammate and I were in the same division at the no gi Pan Ams this weekend. We discussed what we would do if we both made it to the finals, and decided we would fight. We train together and respect each other. She outranks me (they combine blue and purple belt women), but we both worked our asses off to get there. Why not see who was the better grappler for that match?

Unfortunately, I ended up not being able to go to NY, so the situation didn't arise at all. If it comes up in the future, I believe we'll fight it out, though. (Unless an instructor stops us, anyway.)

again, as someone said, this is the least of the ibjjf's problems

Hey clinzy!

Tell Andrew to send me a Team Revolution shirt free of charge, k?

I just checked the results of the No-Gi Pan, and in the open division there were two first place winners. Popovitch and Brasco I think. If that wasn't a typo then it dumb. There can be only one first place. If they decide they don't want to fight, one has to accept that he is the loser.

I remember Sergio Moraes being asked about going for his third world title, when he only won once and gave first to Marcelo Garcia the second time. That shows the problem that even though he gave up first place, he and other people are considering him the champion anyway.

I think it's one thing to be from the same team and another to be from the same school. How often do Roger and Romulo train together? I think everyone appreciated the fact they fought.