Thoughts on a .44 special snubby

Specifically the Charter arms bulldog with 2.5 inch barrel. I know charters are not Smiths or Rugers, and cannot handle steady diets of +p loads . I had a charter .38 that was a great little carry piece. The .44 standard loads are almost identical to .45acp standard loadings. I’m thinking about getting one for conceal carry while doing outdoor activities with the family. Anyone a fan of the .44?

Do you reload?  Last I checked .44 special cost more than .44 Magnum for inexpensive ammo.

The asthetics on that revolver and a thing of beauty.

Is it an outdoor gun?  Conceal carry?  All around?

I like the looks but one thing, and some people consider minor but capacity is only 5.  I have the ruger sp101 snub in 357...I wish I had gotten the 327 instead with the full 6 rounds.

Festus -

I like the looks but one thing, and some people consider minor but capacity is only 5.  I have the ruger sp101 snub in 357...I wish I had gotten the 327 instead with the full 6 rounds.

Mostly conceal carry. I’m fine with capacity of only 5. 240gr of lead is nothing to sneeze at. I like the looks and of the gun too. 

stanky leg -

It's overkill unless you're routinely out in your yard surrounded by rabid grizzly bears. .38 is the way to go.

It’s not much bigger then a .38 snub, and shoots a 240gr bullet. With softer recoil then a 357 mag snubby 

Homelander -

Do you reload?  Last I checked .44 special cost more than .44 Magnum for inexpensive ammo.

No. Not yet. But it will be carried more and shot less often. Price of .44 special ammo does not scare me off, since this won’t see heavy range use

I have a charter arms 38 undercover that has survived thousands of rounds over the years.  It's 40 years old and has fired the hottest 38s possible with no issues ever.  No complaints about that brand from me!

Expensive to shoot. Had same gun. Not very accurate. It was my sidearm when hiking mountain's for days.

Even if you miss the perp you are shooting at....you'll catch them on fire!

You'll put your eye out.

That thing must kick like a mother?

supersonic - That thing must kick like a mother?

.44 special is not a .44 mag

I've got a Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum but it's got an 8in barrel so a different animal. 

Fuckers stop talking about revolvers, I’m trying to talk myself out of a smith and Wesson 351 pd

Just don't listen to any dogs in the neighborhood if they start suggesting things to do 

1 Like

Co3 -

Just don't listen to any dogs in the neighborhood if they start suggesting things to do 

Hahahah. Anyone else get this reference?

I've got a charter arms 38 special snubby that I'm happy with.

topteam71 -
Festus -

Mostly conceal carry. I’m fine with capacity of only 5. 240gr of lead is nothing to sneeze at. I like the looks and of the gun too. 

Conceal carry? Are you going to carry a brick on your opposite hip so you don't end up with a limp?

If you like revolvers, and want something for carry, the model 442 Airweight is where its at. .38 Special +p, compact, light... The only scnearios I would ever want a .44 hand cannon like that is for grizzly bears and maybe in the nightstand pistol rotation. Just because that .44 is a snub nose does not make that a carry pistol.