Thoughts on family having destination wedding?

What are your thoughts?

Financial burden to family members or it's their wedding type mentality Phone Post 3.0

It's both a financial burden and a "it's their wedding--let them spend their money and do what they want"mentality. Let the family members choose to spend their money the way they want and not go if it's too unaffordable... That's why I only go to about 1/4 of the weddings I'm invited to... It's too expensive to constantly travel for weddings...

Fine for them, don't expect everyone to attend though. Phone Post 3.0

Stea1th - What are your thoughts?

Financial burden to family members or it's their wedding type mentality Phone Post 3.0

One of my best friends had a destination wedding (Belize) a couple of years ago and 8 of us managed to go. We live streamed it for those back home to watch, too. He and his bride had a second ceremony/reception 6 weeks later for those that couldn't make it due to work schedule/finances, etc.

It's their wedding, so it's their choice. 

Tend to be financial burdens, I wouldn't expect as high of a turn out if people have to spend a couple thousand dollars just to go to the wedding.

I find it extremely naive and presumptuous to think those invited will want to use their money and vacation time to watch the couple get married...

It's their wedding their choice.

If it's too expensive don't go. Don't feel obligated to go!.

In fact most people that I know that had a destination wedding, did so because they wanted a small wedding.

The didn't want to slight anyone by not inviting them.

So they had a destination wedding counting on that very few people would actually go!. Phone Post 3.0

A destination wedding is fine, the bride and groom cannot get upset if people don't show up for the wedding Phone Post 3.0

A couple of my very closest friends have had them. I didn't go to either and it was a bummer. I had no desire to burn a week of my vacation and all of my vacation money to go on someone else's trip. It would have cost several thousand dollars to do something I would not do on my own. At first I was a little mad, but then it is their wedding and they can do what they want. A wedding is special for them. I felt bad because in one of them the groom's mother didn't go because she couldn't afford it and refused to let her son pay for the trip.

One of them had a second wedding reception a few months later and it was fine.

Barbasol OOTFFTT - A destination wedding is fine, the bride and groom cannot get upset if people don't show up for the wedding Phone Post 3.0

if this were the case, I'd completely agree, but every one of them that I've been invited to, the bride and groom harbored resentment for anyone that didn't go...

Zekolas - It's their wedding their choice.

If it's too expensive don't go. Don't feel obligated to go!.

In fact most people that I know that had a destination wedding, did so because they wanted a small wedding.

The didn't want to slight anyone by not inviting them.

So they had a destination wedding counting on that very few people would actually go!. Phone Post 3.0
Calm down with the exclamations points, asshole. Phone Post 3.0

sawdusk - I find it extremely naive and presumptuous to think those invited will want to use their money and vacation time to watch the couple get married...

Bingo, fuck 'em

I never go, and its precisely because I value my vacation time and money and don't want to blow it to celebrate some other couple get married

From IL and did a beach wedding in FL. Had about 50 family/friends show up. Then had a big ass reception when we got back. Then 400 people showed up. It was crazy...

But you expect people to not go. I had no hard feelings to people that couldnt swing it. But at the end of the day you have to do something YOU really want to do. If you plan around everyone you arent going to feel like it was 'your day'. IMO of course.

sawdusk - I find it extremely naive and presumptuous to think those invited will want to use their money and vacation time to watch the couple get married...
The couple probably is counting on it. They probably don't want everyone invited to actually come. Phone Post 3.0

i'm getting married in St. Thomas next weekend. It's where we met, so we really wanted to do it there. 

Only a few people are going ,  which is fine with us.  I'm going to setup a Ustream for everyone that can't go and wants to watch.

My friend just did his wedding in Cuba. In fucking July! I'm not sure what the weather is like in Cuba but as a Canadian I refused to go on vacation to a tropical country in July.
It would've cost $4200 for me and the family. I told him that my wife couldn't get time off work and he tried to guilt me into coming alone. I'm sure there are hard feelings on his end. Phone Post 3.0

I don't want a big wedding as I'm a very reclusive person. Going on a vacation is perfect for me. Anyone who wants to come can. Don't care. Phone Post 3.0

It is their wedding but they need to understand that a lot of people will not attend because of the cost, and they can't bitch about people not attending.

I attended one destination wedding, Puerto Vallarta, it was a blast.

i always figured that people who have destination weddings really dont care about who shows up. maybe they would offer to help financially with their nuclear family.

but even if they did that courtesy, its pretty clear that the wedding is all about them, and fuck everyone else.

sourandmouldy - My friend just did his wedding in Cuba. In fucking July! I'm not sure what the weather is like in Cuba but as a Canadian I refused to go on vacation to a tropical country in July.
It would've cost $4200 for me and the family. I told him that my wife couldn't get time off work and he tried to guilt me into coming alone. I'm sure there are hard feelings on his end. Phone Post 3.0

Hard feelings? Tough shit. Don't have a wedding in CUBA DURING THE SUMMER!