Thoughts on Kelly Starrett/Supple Leopard?

Hey guys, I'm trying to get started back on working out seriously again after a pretty bad TFCC tear on my wrist. I've really become concerned with mobility, form, and injury prevention so I'm trying to get more educated on the physio/anatomy side of things. That being said do any of you wizards (vermonter, leigh, taku) have any thoughts on this book? Or suggestions for other or better resources? Thanks.

Also, just wanted to say i searched for any threads on this topic but couldn't find anything. Sorry if this is a common thread.

I didn't personally find anything too interesting in this book. Also it seemed way over-priced to me but perhaps one can find it reasonably priced somehwere. It seems to me that these days, anything of value one might find in this book could be found in other places for free or very little $$.

If you're looking for Foam rolling (golf balls, lacrosse balls etc) concepts, these can be found all over. If you're looking for a solid flexibility program, these to are all over the place. Unless you have glaring issues...A little bit of work on this stuff, on a daily basis goes a very long way. 

Add a few minutes of dynamic movement stuff to your warm-up. Add a few minutes of SMR and stretching to the the end (or even during your strength stuff as active recovery). My experience is that most just simply neglect these elements.

STRETCHING INFO:

STRETCHING ROUTINE:

TAKU

He frequently comes off as a huckster but provides good information. Phone Post 3.0

I think the book is excellent. Most people do not have full range of motion which affects their movements in various ways depending what they are doing.

He gives you a system to self diagnose movement dysfunction and missing range of motion before the resultant compromises in form lead to injury, or create movement patterns for injury.

I think the book has a lot of depth to it. Amalgamates a lot of information from all over into one reference book. Pairs nicely with the free videos Kelly features on his mwod site. Phone Post 3.0

Cool tips but poorly organized in my opinion. I reference it here and there. Phone Post 3.0

Taku - 

I didn't personally find anything too interesting in this book. Also it seemed way over-priced to me but perhaps one can find it reasonably priced somehwere. It seems to me that these days, anything of value one might find in this book could be found in other places for free or very little $$.

If you're looking for Foam rolling (golf balls, lacrosse balls etc) concepts, these can be found all over. If you're looking for a solid flexibility program, these to are all over the place. Unless you have glaring issues...A little bit of work on this stuff, on a daily basis goes a very long way. 

Add a few minutes of dynamic movement stuff to your warm-up. Add a few minutes of SMR and stretching to the the end (or even during your strength stuff as active recovery). My experience is that most just simply neglect these elements.

STRETCHING INFO:

STRETCHING ROUTINE:

TAKU

This - I don't think I got a single thing out of it. Luckily I didn't have to pay for it (yay library) but he's not speaking to me. I have even tried to listen to various podcast interviews with him and I still don't know what he's talking about.

I haven't read it, but I've skimmed his new book for runners and it looks pretty solid so far.

squidward11 - Hey guys, I'm trying to get started back on working out seriously again after a pretty bad TFCC tear on my wrist. I've really become concerned with mobility, form, and injury prevention so I'm trying to get more educated on the physio/anatomy side of things. That being said do any of you wizards (vermonter, leigh, taku) have any thoughts on this book? Or suggestions for other or better resources? Thanks.
I have the the same injury. Hope you do better than i have. Phone Post 3.0

BJTT_Pella -
squidward11 - Hey guys, I'm trying to get started back on working out seriously again after a pretty bad TFCC tear on my wrist. I've really become concerned with mobility, form, and injury prevention so I'm trying to get more educated on the physio/anatomy side of things. That being said do any of you wizards (vermonter, leigh, taku) have any thoughts on this book? Or suggestions for other or better resources? Thanks.
I have the the same injury. Hope you do better than i have. Phone Post 3.0
Oh really? What treatment have you gotten?? Phone Post 3.0

Yes. I tore it in my left wrist about 4 years ago. It was the end of my training. I had surgery but i think it made it worse. I have tried physical therapy twice with no results. DRs just say "oh well, nothing we can do". I cannot do things like a push up, hit a bag or lift heavy weights. What have you done for therapy? Any good results? Im open to options. Phone Post 3.0

BJTT_Pella - Yes. I tore it in my left wrist about 4 years ago. It was the end of my training. I had surgery but i think it made it worse. I have tried physical therapy twice with no results. DRs just say "oh well, nothing we can do". I cannot do things like a push up, hit a bag or lift heavy weights. What have you done for therapy? Any good results? Im open to options. Phone Post 3.0
Wow that's so terrible. I've only just started getting treatment, and the only thing I've had done was a cortisone shot, which helped until I tried to exercise. I'm going to see my dr. Today about a debriedment(sp) surgery. Man I hope it works out for both of us. Best wishes brother. Phone Post 3.0

For joint prep and mobility that go at a reasonable pace, I like gymnasticbodies.com material a lot. Particularly the foundation and handstand courses. Check out the forums and you can get an idea of what they do in these areas. Phone Post 3.0

squidward11 -
BJTT_Pella - Yes. I tore it in my left wrist about 4 years ago. It was the end of my training. I had surgery but i think it made it worse. I have tried physical therapy twice with no results. DRs just say "oh well, nothing we can do". I cannot do things like a push up, hit a bag or lift heavy weights. What have you done for therapy? Any good results? Im open to options. Phone Post 3.0
Wow that's so terrible. I've only just started getting treatment, and the only thing I've had done was a cortisone shot, which helped until I tried to exercise. I'm going to see my dr. Today about a debriedment(sp) surgery. Man I hope it works out for both of us. Best wishes brother. Phone Post 3.0
What did you DR say? Phone Post 3.0

BJTT_Pella -
squidward11 -
What did you DR say? Phone Post 3.0
He said that since the cortisone shot didn't work, he wants to go in and assess the extent of the ligament damage. He said that looking at my mri he is fully confident that I'll get to pre injury wrist health. He comes very highly recommend and I'm very hopeful lol. Phone Post 3.0

I wish that I could create a Bane-like mask for certain people that could take the thoughts in their head and as they spoke and convert them into salient, cohesive, single point streams of dialogue or discussion.

Kelly would have to wear this mask 24/7. I think he's got some great ideas, but I've never seen someone BOTH talk and write with such a disconnected shotgun effect to what they were trying to say. 

biggest takeaway: Chronic pain and mobility are two separate issues.

Smart guy, great ideas, horrible at all forms of communication.

He needs someone to take his ideas and create a system for it to go mainstream. Like Eddie Bravo and 10thPJJ Phone Post 3.0