Thoughts on Michael Chandler?

Clearly he’s VERY VERY exciting, he leaves part of himself in there every fight. For our entertainment he has pretty much sacrificed his mind and body. But as far as skill set, is he doing better, worse or as good as you thought he would in the UFC?

KO’d Dan Hooker, pretty Impressive, Hooker is solid.
Was this close to finishing Charles. Was losing the stand up to an older Tony before that KO. Stood toe to toe with Justin and Dustin was close against both of them, but just couldn’t get it done.

One of the most exciting fighters there’s ever been. But he has the same problem as Justin Gaethje. When it becomes a war they abandon the gameplan and just become brawlers

Chandler should have beaten Dustin but he made it a brawl and he gassed himself out

4 Likes

I watched most of Chandler’s Bellator career in real time. Watched him win some big fights and lose to Brooks 2x, Pitbull, Primus, Alvarez etc…

I knew he was about to turn 35 when he entered the UFC and that he was not likely gonna go 10-0 or anything like that but knew he would be fireworks vs the top 15 and thats what its been so far.

Its gone exactly as expected.

Hopefully has a few more POTN and FOTN’s left in him before he likely calls it a career in two years when he is 38.

5 Likes

Hell I think he coulda beaten Charles had he been a little more patient. He nearly finished him in that first round

4 Likes

I will always watch a Chandler fight. There aren’t too many guys out there that I say about anymore. He’s a throwback to the old school days when it was all just fist fighters fighting nhb and mma.

13 Likes

UFC should hand him a blank check.

Here for a good time, not a long time. Kill or be killed.

If everyone fought like him UFC would be the most exciting thing on the planet.

IMO wins and losses don’t matter with him.

12 Likes

I think he should be Conor’s next opponent. Interesting fight, and he deserves the payday.

6 Likes

Chandler’s the man inside and out of the cage. He’s inspirational.

3 Likes

He’s confused. Should realize he’s in UFC not BKFC or on the street. Professional MMA involves more than getting in a cage and throwing like crazy.

1 Like

Its a shame Patricio TKOed him in 1 minute.

Chandler and Patricio both debuted in Bellator in 2010 and they are the two best and most exciting homegrown fighters in the history of the promotion so when they finally met in 2019… of course it had to end too quick.

1 Like

Would be awesome for him if he got the fight with Conor. He deserves the “money fight” and let’s face it that fight would be Lit

5 Likes

I know people have varying opinions about his fight IQ, both of which have their merits, but that’s just how the guy chooses to fight and I respect him for it. I absolutely enjoy technique and strategy, but it’s also fun to watch guys like him throw caution to the wind. Swinging for the fences is a strategy unto itself as long as it works!

1 Like

…1

I think some people don’t truly get or appreciate just how long Chandler has been going at the level he has been going at.

Last month was 11 years from his all time classic fight vs Eddie Alvarez when he was an Undefeated Bellator Champion. That was 2011. Fast forward 2022.

We got Chandler in the UFC way too late and its amazing he has had the must see moments he has had.

By comparison Khabib at that time… didn’t even have his UFC debut yet and Chandler was already a Champion… and when Chandler finally made his UFC debut Khabib had retired. That’s how long his high level competition window has been and no doubt it takes a toll. I’m actually impressed he is still providing highlights like he is.

(Posted that rambling in another thread but fits this one better I think and still applies)

3 Likes

Definitely a “high risk, high reward” kind of fighter. MMA needs people like him.

4 Likes

Always tune in for a Chandler fight win or lose.

4 Likes

I love his fights, but hate listening to him talk.
Was nice to see the UFC do a expose on him for Black history month since he adopted 2 black kids.
That was, dare I say, …
Enlightening?

2 Likes

Good fighter but held back by being loyal to Sanford MMA.

Very exciting but will pay the price later in life.

He is entertaining and would rather watch him fight than a lot of guys with better records

2 Likes