thunder bay fighters..leading edge

Vold featured in Battle at the Barn 20's main event 5/16/2007 9:47:40 AM By Ben Pherson
The Post-Bulletin

Rochester native Aaron Vold will headline Saturday's Battle at the Barn 20, a mixed martial arts event at Olmsted County Fairgrounds' Building No. 41.

Vold brings a 6-1 record into the fight and is coming off an impressive win over Jeremy Lafferty, while Elishius is 4-6. But promoter Jami Klair said Elishius' record is deceiving.

Other welterweight fights include Dan Monette (2-3) vs. Ryan Brossard (2-2), Gabe Greenburg (4-1) vs. Chris Lawson (3-1), Pete Haushaulty (2-0) vs. Eric Baste (1-1), and Andrew Elliot (professional debut) vs. Tommy McIntyre (6-5).

There also will be one middleweight (185 pounds) fight -- Kenny Calonego (1-0) vs. Tony Norlander (1-2) -- and one light heavyweight (205 pounds) bout -- Barry Frantum (pro debut) against Paul Hesch (1-9).

Calonego and Elliott are coming to Rochester from Canada. They are members of Leading Edge Gym, a highly-respected fight team based in Thunder Bay.

"I know they're both very good athletes, and they come from a great team," Klair said. "Elliott is a stud wrestler. He's making his debut, but he'll be tough. And Kenny (Calonego) only has one fight, but he's been training for this for four years."

Doors open at 6:30 p.m. with the first fight scheduled for 8 p.m. General admission tickets are available at Mickey's Irish Saloon for $25 in advance. Tickets at the door are $30.

Both Leading edge fighters won their match in the first round.Andrew won by referee stoppage due to strikes and Kenny Calonego won by triangle choke.Awesome job guys!

Guys from Leading Edge are hard core! Congrats

Rod

Congratulations guys. GREAT WORK.
Matt haven't had a chance to thank you for the t-shirt when Wayland was up visiting you.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob.Your welcome for the T.Hope to have you up again soon.Matt.

congrats to matt and everyone, leading edge is a great academy and talented group

Great job guys! Hard work & a great core of fighters putting thunder bay on the map! Great job Matt & the boys!

Thanks guys.We had three more guys make their debuts on the weekend at the Battle by the bay 5 in Superior Wisconsin.First up was Nathan Gunn who faced a guy from Duluth named David Sowers.Nathan won 38 seconds into the first round by ref stoppage.Second up for us was Mike Etherington.Mike faced Chris Lawson from Rochester who was 4-0.Mike won by armbar early in the first round.Last up was Mark Berger who fought James Trettle 1-3.Mark overwelmed his opponent and won in just 18 secons of the first round.I should have these fights up on our site soon.It looks like we will be heading down to Ashland Wisconsin in July for the next fights.Matt.

That's awesome Matt. From the sound of things I don't know if I want to come back. I'm afraid one of your guys would rip my head off. Great job, Keep up the good work.

Rob

Hi Rob.No they love you man.We have the fights up on our site at leadingedgemma.com go to the photo gallery.They were filmed by someone in the audience,I`ll have a better copy put up later. Matt.