Tiger Schulmann Name Change

people have been knocking on thier guys for years but they're not bad. they've been competing consistently for a while now.

there were quite a few that used to talk shitt about BJJ but if they're using brian now they must be changing w/ the times.

CUO v Brian would make an interesting grappling match even though brent prolly has about 50lbs on him.

as mentioned, i didnt realize brian was teaching it.  i am used to seeing dojos say mma and then have some spastic kung fu guy teach it.

I think it's good. At least they aren't claiming their "brand" or "style" is the best system.

"I have complete faith in my system." I remember hearing that in the early UFC's from TMA guys.

I have a good friend who trains MMA there who is a very good fighter. Yes, there's a lot to make fun of about their marketing and their business practices, but the gang mentality of people piling on to make fun of TSK is a bit silly.

"I got no dog in this fight, but I find it funny that a couple years ago people were complaining that he called his stuff karate while his guys were clearly doing grappling and MMA (and doing pretty well), which, so the complaint went, misrepresented karate.

Now he says he's MMA and people are feaking out over that....! I just hope these are different people."

I remember those threads too. They produce true fighters, their fight team seems to train hard/realistically/progressively, and they have a good showing in grappling, kickboxing and MMA events. Other than their contract issues, they seem to be doing everything right IMO.

They are ridculously expensive and I've heard some horror stories about contract disputes, but other than that, they're a real MMA school, maybe the first big MMA chain.

I think they do pretty well at NAGA events too..

good luck with that. let us know how it goes. also, you better hope former reality fighting champ zach maslany isn't one of the instructors at the branch - otherwise a chi blast will be the least of your worries.

"""Out here in a small town in PA we have had a Tiger S KARATE school for years between a chinese food joint and vacuum store, corny tiger symbol, hundreds of 9 year olds doing kata's, sign up for a year and get a Gi, Karate B-day parties, etc etc etc....."""

Have you checked out the adult class or are you talking out of your ass? Before you talk about the joint, check the adult program. You can't judge a school by the kids program. Ofcourse there's balloons and birthday parties, ITS FOR KIDS!! They can't get the tattoos, shaved heads and TAPOUT beanies til they're a little older.

Damn CUO pussed out big time. Guess he only does worked dojo challenges without striking.

He saw the green name and went all Buffalo Bill.

I watched the commercials that are on their website, The footage shown looks a lot more like my boxing classes than the Useless Karate classes I used to take.

So the Tiger Schulman people are jumping on the MMA bandwagon so to speak.

But wouldnt you rather see the TMA McDojo's embrace MMA and evolve with the sport.

With the growth of MMA, the demand is high for people interested in martial arts to want a place that focuses on MMA rather than just Karate.

Simply SMART BUSINESS to provide this and change their NAME and perception of their company accordingly.

I know a chubby martial arts instructor who teaches the typical McDojo type classes to the kids. Thing is, he's a really in-shape guy, just carries a lot of body fat I guess. He wrestled thru high school.,  competed in kickboxing and did well in the nineties, and is a blue in BJJ. I think if someone popped in his class and tried a dojo challenge they'd be in for a surprise.

With time comes a new sense of where martials arts are going plus the cash in

schulmans a sharp cat

I never been a fan of TSK because I believe there prices are to high. That being sad I seen there guys compete locally and they have performed well so I don't think you are getting scammed skill wise. As was stated earlier it comes down to what you are looking for. If you want the skills that are taught in MMA to better yourself and defend yourself properly and not deal with hardcore fighters this might be the place to go. But if you are serious about competing in MMA I would choose another school.

Whats wrong with overweight instructors? In Boxing, many top instructors are overweight slobs. Lou Duva, Rich Giaccetti, etc... The mark of a good trainer is knowledge, not physical appearance.

"Or? Why cant he be both?"

"Yea, I am sure I will shit all over myself if I walk in and see a badass buck 50 weighing kid with a couple "pro" fights, lol"

you talk about walking into a dojo and slapping the shit out of a instructor randomly.

someone else points out that the instructor may indeed know what they are doing and you may be the one to get your card pulled instead, and now it's "MMA thug behavior"?

who's the attempted thug here, Haole/BJ&CabbageFan?

ttt for cuo's pristine dicktuck.