Tim Ferris Sanshou legit?

I just heard an interview with Tim Ferris, author of the "4 hour workweek" book and now the "4 hour body" book.

He claims to be a national San Shou champion. I tried to find confirmation of this, is he legit or bullshido?

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54641

last page has info about the sanshou I believe.

He says he won an MMA event in Japan. I'd never heard of that promotion, has anyone else?

He says he won sanshou by exploiting the rules and that he's not a good kickboxer. Okay, that's fine but I wonder if anyone can confirm this event really happened and he won.

I'm curious about all this because I heard an interview on the radio where Ferris was promoting his new health and fitness book -- 4 hour a week. He claims his regimen was documented by independent research re: his weight loss and muscle gain.

I've read scathing criticism of his 4 hour workweek book though and want to know if he's just a deranged liar.

I know he's a legit blue belt under Dave Camarillo, but that says nothing about his books or other wild claims.

moonrunrs - He says he won sanshou by exploiting the rules and that he's not a good kickboxer. Okay, that's fine but I wonder if anyone can confirm this event really happened and he won.

I read the post on bullshido.  Just to be clear the rules on San shou - You do not win by pushing an opponent off the lei tai twice.  That is how you can win a single round.  You would still have to do that a minimum of four times in two rounds to win a single match.  

moonrunrs - 

I know he's a legit blue belt under Dave Camarillo, but that says nothing about his books or other wild claims.

hahahahaha

Bull_in_chinashop - 
moonrunrs - He says he won sanshou by exploiting the rules and that he's not a good kickboxer. Okay, that's fine but I wonder if anyone can confirm this event really happened and he won.
 I read the post on bullshido.  Just to be clear the rules on San shou - You do not win by pushing an opponent off the lei tai twice.  That is how you can win a single round.  You would still have to do that a minimum of four times in two rounds to win a single match.  

Sounds like he BS'ed it then. I would find it hard to believe he could simply keep on pushing opponents out of the ring after the first time or two he did it.

What year and WHERE did he claim to win this?

OK
this is what he claims

"In 1999, I was a gold medalist at the Sanshou (Chinese kickboxing) national championships "

My initial reaction would be to wonder if Rudi Ott was still competing at this point? I would say "yes" and thus would say he's full of it... I'll ask Rudi and get back to this

iirc Rudi was pro in 99.  I seem to recall him coaching vs. participating in amateur comp that year (maybe he was injured?). I asked him why he kept shouting "APE KILLER" to my opponent?  LMAO.(Abe)

Rudi just said he was not in the nationals in 1999 (though he was on national team). Thus, this would have been the "window" Ferris could have won the nationals. I didn't remember the year, but Rudi did transition to Pro. After that though, his spot was quickly taken by the guy from Brett's school in Oakland, then by Josh Beauregard. So it appears this claim is true, though only because there wasn't much competition that year (IMHO of course)

96-98 Rudi won three times in a row, there was one year (99) there was no "big 6" guy at 165, then there was Oakland's guy and then the "break" and Josh won both the east coast (florida) and Arnolds at 165

Is there documentation -- video, official records, etc. of this Sanshou win?

Also, he claims to have won MMA event in Japan. I wonder if there is any record of that either.

He also claims to be a "Cage fighter in Japan, vanquisher of four world champions (MMA)"

Link: http://fourhourworkweek.com/ferriss-bio5.htm

He is, quite simply, a complete liar.

He DID win the nationals in Sanshou in 1999. He is a wrestler who used takedowns to win in an "off year". Have no idea about "cage fighting"

off year, on year, if he won the title legit then he was a champ and he should get credit for that. It's not his fault that it was an easy year. Insiders will know the truth as we have pointed out, but he's not a liar. (not insinuating you called him one David, just that the validity of his claim was in question.)

Bull_in_chinashop -  off year, on year, if he won the title legit then he was a champ and he should get credit for that. It's not his fault that it was an easy year. Insiders will know the truth as we have pointed out, but he's not a liar. (not insinuating you called him one David, just that the validity of his claim was in question.)

Yes, he is a liar. He has not beaten four MMA world champions.

anek, I've got no stake in that claim. I was keeping my posts directly related to the San Shou information, which lkfmdc was also referring to.

we looked into the san shou claim, it isn't a lie, the rest I have no idea about

lkfmdc - we looked into the san shou claim, it isn't a lie, the rest I have no idea about

Interesting, thanks.