Tim Sylvia: Wager stoppage was bulls---

Wager?! As out of shape as Sylvia looked, this fight was stopped a tad early..

TIMMEH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Lawlor -  where does Sylvia train at now?

I wasn't sure if he was training @ all b/c i hadn't heard anything around here, but did find this interview before titan...

PRO MMA NOW: Where are you training for this fight Tim and who is helping you get ready?

TIM SYLVIA: Brandon Adams is my striking coach up here in Iowa.So I’m working out up in Iowa and I just opened up a gym over in Illinois, just across the river in the Quad-Cities area. So I’m working out at both places and doing my weight training and swimming at the YMCA.

Bobby Lupo - 

Isn't he training with McCorkle and that bunch? 

thought i remember hearing mccorkle mention sylvia in regards to training for his UFC debut (or around that time).

although it was maybe stopped a second or two early, it doesn't change the fact that that fight was OVER

at McDonalds.

"although it was maybe stopped a second or two early, it doesn't change the fact that that fight was OVER"

Seriously, Tim could hardly stand when he got up.  Leaning tower of pizza.

Sean has done a great job dropping weight. His issue may have been an adrenalin dump more than a cardio issue.

I'd definitely be interested to see what the Dolce Diet could do with him.

And, as always, it makes me smile to see my new pieces on the UG  feed. :)

Tim strikes me as a guy who needs a tough gym environment to force him to push hard.  He had that back in the glory days of MFS.  The room was full of guys, known and unknown, who were really tough and to stay there you had to give 100% or you would get eaten alive.  Not sure where and w/whom he trains now, but I used to watch him @ MFS and he worked his ass off, was in shape, and made weight.  He was able to do a lot w/not much in the way of natural ability.  He did it by working hard and having guys push him.  He had no choice except to either work hard or quit altogether @ Pat's back in the day.

Just MHO.  That and a buck .25 will get you a cup of coffee.

Respectfully:

Fred

I posted the above on another thread.  I think the fight could have been let go a bit longer, considering the principles involved.  Tim was definitely rocked, but looked like he had a little left in him, even w/the stumble after it was over.  He has proven in some past fights (as he said) that he is resilient and can come back.  

That being said, showing up in the shape he did and looking so sluggish is important to consider, also.  An in shape fighter can come back from getting rocked.  An out of shape fighter usually can not, and that's how people get hurt, by letting an out of shape guy take too many shots.

Respectfully:

Fred

Youre wrong Timmy Phone Post

I little early IMO. Tim looked like crap, and not just physically. He's obviously just trying to get a paycheck at this point, but yeah, I think it was an early stop.

no tim what was bull was your weight. it looks like you don't care when you come in at 311 lbs. i know it may be more tough to lose weight at your height but it looks like you did nothing and than some. no jokes or jabs about you being fat cause it's not funny. it's also not funny that you come in at that weight and want to be taken seriously.

The stop was early, but not egregious (imo). Tim nearly falls on his face when trying to object.

I think the ref was also reacting to Tim's sloppy defense. He looked like a fan competing in a Toughman competition.

It's not like Abe was just going to let him stand up and recover then start fighting.

I like a laugh at Timmay as much as anyone else but his right knee in that fight genuinely looks fucked. I think there's a chance Timmay went into that bout essentially on one leg (which may have fucked his ability to train and his cardio too judging by the size of him). Sort of like Jim Braddock fighting with a broken hand. If so, then respect to him and his fighter's bushido for that rather than pulling out.

Personally, I would have liked it to have gone further. Either Timmay pulls an Arlowski or gets his skull caved. Either way, I'm good.

The stoppage was a bit early but IMO Tim was not going to be able to recover and it would have been stopped anyway. I think everyone can agree he was getting lit up pretty badly and was on queer street.

That's really not an accurate comparison between the Arlovski & Couture fights either, as moderate, repeated blows to the head are much worse than 1 heavy shot.

Watching a 320X240 youtube video you're not going to see the same things the ref who's right next to the fighters does, like if someone's eyes are hazy or roll back.

He could have let it go another 2-3 seconds to alleviate any doubt, but for fighter safety I say better safe than sorry.

To me Big Tim has been living off of past success for far too long. Who am I to tell the guy not to make a living, but at the same time when you come in so out of shape be ready for the result. Arrogance and fattiness do not mix well. I should know!

Interesting that he was the sole person in the SHW range for that fight. Wagner was 258. He beat another UFC fighter too--Pendergarst. I didn't even know of him.

Sylvia looked like he could barely stand before the fight started. His knees must be shot.