Time for a money diet

In the past my idea of fiscal responsibility was working a few overtime shifts. But as time goes on and im paying for a ring, a wedding , and im looking at getting some land in the future, thats not enough.

So I looked at my banking statements the past couple months. Holyfuck do I waste money. Like simply waste it.

Average 5 dollars a day on coffee or energy drinks, 6 dollars a day on diet cokes and cafeteria food at my work place, and approx 7 dollars a day on convenience store food from when i come home from work if not more.

Easily 18 to 20 a day I waste. So easy to bring food from home and make my own coffee instead of this.

Anyway im making a pre newyears promise to myself not to do this shit anymore. Phone Post 3.0

Nice work! I agree it's amazing how little things add up and pretty low impact to limit it and save significant money.

I consider myself frugal and usually save a lot.  But it doesn't take much to fall out of that groove.  The funny thing is, when you start spending without paying attention to where it goes, you stop saving anything at all and you don't even know where the money went.  Your quality of life doesn't improve at all with the extra money spent that you don't know what you spent it on.

Yup. Im looking at 600 a month of I do this. Imagine 10 months... 6000 dollars. Looking further at my bank statements ive been doing this for about a few years.
Thier is a plot of land in colrain im looking at that hasnt moved at all. Right nexr to my favorite location in that area, if not my favorite location of all time. 6 months I could put a downpayment and own it if I just eliminate this bad habit. Phone Post 3.0

So since ive made this a priority for myself ive done very well. Ive spent on average 3 dollars a day. Usually coffee and 1 lotto ticket before I head to work and nothing spent on my way home.

I know it doesnt seem like a big deal but in the 4 days or so since I have made this post I normally would spend an average of 80 dollars.

I have spent 10 dollars since then. I had 70 dollars in my pocket and still have 60 now.

Anyway I am definitely going to stay committed to this. Phone Post 3.0

good job.  Now eliminate the lotto ticket.  The lotto is for people bad at math.  Unless you just want to look at it as $1 of entertainment as you suspend disbelief.

i'm currently reflecting on the same egregiously bad spending habits.

I'm gonna clear $100k this year and I just took out a direct deposit payday advance from my back to get me through the pay period.

Looking over my spending report it shows that I spent $1900 last month on "food/drink".

I should be flogged.

2014 is going to be the year of living within my means and having $ in the bank.

I'm also thinking of signing up for piano classes but that's not really related to the topic.

1 dollar is just for entertainment. At this rate im down to about 90 dollars a month spent a day on non essential things vs about 600 a month.

Gluck on piano classes! Id say thats s worthy thing to spend money on. Phone Post 3.0

Damn cant edit. Im saying im down to 90 dollars a month spent on non essential expenses whereas before I was around 600 a month. Phone Post 3.0

subd.  Good thread.  

nice.

Question: Does your wife/gf complicate the conservative spending initiative?

She is very fiscally responsible. She makes about as much as I do. Similar field... I am an ed nurse. She is a sicu nurse at boston medical center. I hit the girlfriend jackpot Phone Post 3.0

I'm in, let's do this! Phone Post 3.0

sourcheese - In the past my idea of fiscal responsibility was working a few overtime shifts. But as time goes on and im paying for a ring, a wedding , and im looking at getting some land in the future, thats not enough.

So I looked at my banking statements the past couple months. Holyfuck do I waste money. Like simply waste it.

Average 5 dollars a day on coffee or energy drinks, 6 dollars a day on diet cokes and cafeteria food at my work place, and approx 7 dollars a day on convenience store food from when i come home from work if not more.

Easily 18 to 20 a day I waste. So easy to bring food from home and make my own coffee instead of this.

Anyway im making a pre newyears promise to myself not to do this shit anymore. Phone Post 3.0
I was doing the same shit a few weeks ago.Now I may by one or two coffees a week,but that's it.
Stashing some bucks away. Phone Post 3.0

sourcheese - Yup. Im looking at 600 a month of I do this. Imagine 10 months... 6000 dollars. Looking further at my bank statements ive been doing this for about a few years.
Thier is a plot of land in colrain im looking at that hasnt moved at all. Right nexr to my favorite location in that area, if not my favorite location of all time. 6 months I could put a downpayment and own it if I just eliminate this bad habit. Phone Post 3.0
It's 600 bucks a month only if you spent the 18-20 bucks during weekends as well and you now cut it out Phone Post 3.0

That scary b word... Budget!! Phone Post 3.0

Its hard to do. I'm not good at being frugal with small purchases because the total is so small. The only thing i do now is that I wait to get to work to have coffee since it is free at work. Phone Post 3.0

I was thinking about making protein shakes for breakfast and bringing my own lunch to work. Between breakfast and lunch I easily spend close to $20 a day. Phone Post 3.0

Scary how easy it is to spend money. Im happy im catching it now. Wish I eas more frugal when I was young Phone Post 3.0

I'm already pretty frugal about regular spending. My crux would be work lunches. I have to get in the habit of brown bagging it more. I prefer hot lunches, but I'll probably start out by at least bringing epic sandwiches a couple of times a week.

It sounds like you have a pretty easy path to trimming the fat from your spending. Nice!