Time to employ 3 strike weight rule

^ Only if Dana VBlogs the confrontation between he and the weakest link. I want to see Dana punch a 6 year old girl in the stomach.

orcus -  Am I the only one thinking JDolo is so violent on this topic because he wants to keep AJ as far from GSP as possible?

Funny, actually, you truly haven't followed my views on AJ.  On top of being a guy who drops down from 50 lbs above 170, and being someone who is unsuccessful at squeezing every little last bit out of him to make said weight class of 170, he has also been given the easiest possible road.  He has been spoonfed, coddled, and pampered his entire UFC career and it's shameful.  If this guy could make the fuckin weight, and first fight someone, then beat someone worth shit, I'd be calling for GSP to tear his shit up as soon as possible.  IF AJ can't make 170, I want GSP to debut against AJ when GSP enivitably goes up to 185.  Sadly for AJ, GSP will be going up to 185 for very much a different reason than AJ.

Mydogsnameischloe - 
Steamfitter - 
Mydogsnameischloe - LOL, in a sport where two guys sign a contract to fight at 205 lbs and both guys are 220+ the day of the fight, people are this upset about "missing weight".

You make a great arguement for day of the fight weigh-ins.

You better tread lightly there. The wrestlers here get pretty grumpy when you mess with their "tradition".

Wrestling uses same day weigh-ins.

JDolo - 
orcus -  Am I the only one thinking JDolo is so violent on this topic because he wants to keep AJ as far from GSP as possible?

Funny, actually, you truly haven't followed my views on AJ.  On top of being a guy who drops down from 50 lbs above 170, and being someone who is unsuccessful at squeezing every little last bit out of him to make said weight class of 170, he has also been given the easiest possible road.  He has been spoonfed, coddled, and pampered his entire UFC career and it's shameful.  If this guy could make the fuckin weight, and first fight someone, then beat someone worth shit, I'd be calling for GSP to tear his shit up as soon as possible.  IF AJ can't make 170, I want GSP to debut against AJ when GSP enivitably goes up to 185.  Sadly for AJ, GSP will be going up to 185 for very much a different reason than AJ.

and one more thing Orcus, am i really supposed to be concerned for GSP over a guy who took 6 rounds to finish Kevin Burns.  Is that supposed to be serious.?   Kevin Burns will get beat by TJ Grant. whats next for AJ at 170 if he beats Yoshida, Marcus Davis?  Am I truly supposed to be concerned for GSP for a guy who sucks as much out of him to make 170 as AJ does?  170, 175, 180, 185, GSP blows through him, now or 5 years from now.

Haha. No, youre not. I made that connection immediately.

I usually cant stand Jdolo but I actually have to agree with him here though, I dont think being booted from the division permanantly for missing weight 3 times is harsh at all. It actually sounds totally reasonable to me.

These asian cats have all types of budo fighting at their walk around weights most of the time as it is and then they have to put up with this shit? Ridiculous.

" he has also been given the easiest possible road."

Uh...road to what?

road in the UFC so far, road to determining he can't climb to the top at 170, he can't even make the limit.

I'm not rooting for Johnson after this debacle, but his loss to Burns was definitely bullshit and most certainly should have been ruled a No Contest. That was a ridiculous ruling.

6 rounds to take out Kevin Burns, bottom line, hardly anything to write home about.

Ryase - 
JDolo -  6 rounds to take out Kevin Burns, bottom line, hardly anything to write home about.

You're right, so what road is he on? If he was on the road to anywhere he'd be fighting Koscheck not the guy Koscheck just embarassed within the last year.

clearly they attempted to pave a road for him, sadly he is unable to follow the path they intended for him to take.

definitely not the road that GSP took, who entered the UFC at an earlier age than AJ, who immediately fought another guy who at the time people believed had the best future at 170 in Karo, only for GSP to let the entire World know to think again.  The road that seen GSP fight for the WW World titile in only his 7nth Pro fight being 23 years of age.  The road that then saw GSP fight only the best possible competition that the 170 lb division could offer him.  The road that then saw GSP dominate the so called greatest WW of all time in his prime, for GSP to win the WW World title at 25 years of age.  The road that then saw GSP reclaim the WW title at 27 years of age, and hasn't looked back with it since. Definitely AJ is not on that road. 

they aren't. they were pampering him instead as I have said all along.  you people appear very confused.

A permanent ban sounds harsh, but I feel that stiffer penalties need to be applied to people who miss weight by more than five pounds. Maybe something like 30 or 40%. Or have increasing penalties for every separate occasion you miss weight. Sort of like this-

First infraction you get 20% of your purse deducted, second you get 25% deducted and so on until you get to a cap like 40 or 45%. I doubt anyone would even bother competing in a division if there was a good chance they would lose half of their winnings.

Yes- Wrestlers have same day weigh ins-

Wrestlers also not getting punched in the head.  Day of weigh ins are no good for fighter safety-

The fact that Pavia haters haven't stormed this thread yet shocks me.

sgavin -  Yes- Wrestlers have same day weigh ins-

Wrestlers also not getting punched in the head.  Day of weigh ins are no good for fighter safety-

Horseshit. Fight in your natural weight category or learn how to bake bread for a living.

same day weigh in remains no good.  more weight classes would need to be added to accomadate the discrepancies of just what are natural weight classes.  the majority of the top 10 of each division would simply be fighting one catergory above the catergory they are presently at.  It really does nothing to change anything and could really only add further complications.  there is no problem with the weigh in's being a day before the fight.  there is however a problem with being a repeat offender of failing to make weight. 

LOL, Carano would have been banned after like her 4th pro fight.

Interesting topic and lots of good points being made.  Some points are not very valid, however, and I suspect it is due to the individual allowing their emotions to dictate how they express themselves on here.  A few random thoughts:

As a wrestler, it drives me crazy when a competitor fails to make weight.  A common misconception is that the advantage lies in the amount of weight difference that exists between the individual who made weight and the one who didn't.  Often times this is less than a pound and as a result, the advantage is dismissed by most.  But that couldn't be further from the truth.  The advantage does not necessarily lie in the weight difference, it lies in the fact that one individual did not have to debilitate himself in order to get down on weight.  Often times that one pound, could be so difficult to shed, that the individual shuts down mentally and simply goes out and drinks 2 gallons of water and quits on his efforts.  I have personally seen this happen on more than one occasion.  Now why react so extreme over not being able to cut that last pound?  Because it fucking sucks and it is very difficult to do, that's why.  Now imagine you just get to bypass it.   The guy that gets that free pass is in much better shape than the one who actually put his body and mind through it. 

I like the idea of miss weight, leave the weight class.  I think 3 times is too much.  If you miss it once, it should be a huge deal, with 1 more miss resulting in having to move up.  I don't know about life time bans, but the fighter should at least demonstrate on a number of occasions, (perhaps 3) that they can make weight, before being reinstated.  This should also be after a period of suspension from the weight class, say 6-12 months for example.  So in other words, the athlete misses his 156 pound weight limit at weigh ins.  He officially weighs 158.  He should be fined a portion of his purse, (I like 33% if it's with in 2 pounds and another 33% it it's up to 4 pounds).  Any more than that and the guy shouldn't be allowed to fight in the event.  Next, after the fight, he reports on an agreed upon date to weigh in at 156.  If he makes it, he receives another date for his 2nd weigh in.  If he makes that one too, he receives his 3rd date and if he makes that one too, he is back in the weight class.  Seems like a lot of BS but it should be a lot of BS.  Otherwise just move up and fight where you are able to make the weight class.  

tempus - 
kanotoa - 
DJLastCall - Missing weight = loss on record

Uh, no that's a dumb idea. Because it's not a loss at all.

Actually, YOU were a dumb idea.

Perhaps its not the best idea, but it's a good idea....on a thread where people are brainstorming.

All of the other ideas involve penalties after missing weight.

This is the only one that would actually PREVENT fighters from missing weight.

nhbMIKE - dont they have to give the other guy part of the show money? that seems fair.

Yoshida's getting 20% of Johnson's purse.