Times Great Fighters Cheated in Big Fights

Creating this thread to catalogue when great (or very good) fighters clearly cheated in big fights. Please don’t include PEDs – that would derail the thread.

I’ll note that, to me, cheating should be intentional to be considered cheating. (So an unintentional groin strike wouldn’t count).

Many of the people below are some of my favorite fighters of all-time. But even the great ones cheat sometimes.

Definite

-GSP greased versus BJ.
-Anderson repeatedly fouled Chael in the second round of the second fight to prevent the TD, most notably ripping on his shorts.
-Koscheck faking the knee to a grounded opponent.
-DC leaning on a towel to make weight.

Possible
-I lean towards believing that Jon Jones uses eye gouges to manage range.
-DC probably purposely poked Stipe in the eye in their first fight.
-Did Usman fake the nut shot? Are there good arguments that he didn’t? (EDIT: I just rewatched and I find it very plausible that the shin hit the cup. If Usman really got hit in the liver, he wouldn’t have been able to react that way).

I don’t think it was cheating
-Fedor grabbing the ropes v. Lindland.

1 Like

Mcfaggot broke the record in the Habib fight

10 Likes

Conor definitely cheated a lot in that fight. You’re right.

3 Likes

Did GSP grease himself up? Did he ask for it?

All we know is his coach greased him up a bit between rounds.

There is no evidence that GSP himself cheated or was on board with any cheating. It’s different than those others where the fighter was in full control of the cheating action.

17 Likes

De Randamie striking Holm after the bell 2x. IIRC this was for a belt.

19 Likes

Yes. That’s a really good qualifier and I agree. TEAM GSP cheated, but there is no evidence that GSP purposely cheated.

6 Likes

GSP chose his corner and is responsible for their behavior. Like it or not, that makes him responsible.

15 Likes

I’d have to revisit it. I remember it was rough at the time. So was Mendes v. Aldo in the second fight.

1 Like

You can be responsible for something, without purposely doing it.

2 Likes

Of course he’s ultimately responsible for himself out there as it’s an individual sport.

That’s not what I was getting at though.

1 Like

That’s why I’m not arguing purpose.

It was cheating and GSP is responsible for his own corner.

Yeah, I know that you’re being clear. But, my OP left the criteria a bit ambiguous. GSP himself might not have cheated (which is what the subject line implies), but he is also responsible for Nurse’s conduct. You’re both right.

Not a big fight but a main event albeit none the less but Gunner Nelson vs Ponzinibbio, Nelson got poked against the cage a load of times, I remember seeing the slow mo of them all and that’s one dirty fighter

8 Likes

When Brock shoved a horseshoe up Mirs arse

9 Likes

I have a vague memory of being really upset about this. Similarly, the most flagrant cheater I’ve seen in the modern (ie post Gordeau) era was Kongo, who intentionally kneed people in the balls all the time.

6 Likes

Vitor winning the title because he fouled Randy

1 Like

Vitor didn’t foul Randy.

Vitor didn’t cheat there.

It was an unfortunate incident of a glancing blow causing a dangerous cut from the glove seam or whatever.

Much like Lewis vs Klitschko. Glancing blow, glove laces caused cut.

It sucks but it’s not cheating.

12 Likes

They don’t call him Cup Cheick Kongo for nothing

7 Likes

Yeah, not intentional cheating per se, but Randy still got cheated out of the title on that one

3 Likes

We all got cheated out of a fight for sure.

1 Like