Times when Superman and Batman have killed

Interesting Newsrama article. I put this up because people took issue with Zack Snyder's remarks about Superman killing Zod.

http://www.newsarama.com/19848-world-s-deadliest-10-times-batman-and-superman-have-killed-their-enemies.html

That article is rubbish; 3 of the Batman kills are either out of continuity or never happened - and the article admits as such.

Well, this was more about the Superman ones, paw.

First off, the article is pretty slanted.  Superman killed a dragon isn't the same as Superman killed another kryptonian for most people.  The article also omits context and as I mentioned before, completely ignores continuity. That's not trivial, imo - Superman, the current Superman is only 25?26? issues old.  He hasn't killed anyone, yet.  Although DC being DC, I'm sure a bloodbath is just around the corner....(not joking about that at all, btw).

But that's not really the point.  Synder, Goyer, et al, miss the mark on this one.  Copy pasta from the other thread

/start copy pasta

Let me summarize (and I think we both agree on this)

Superman is strongly opposed to the taking of life.  There may be some very extenuating circumstances where Superman would take a life.

Here's where I think we disagree:

If that had been what Synder had said, I would be ok with that.  But Synder said "In the comics, he's [Superman] actually killed Zod a couple of times", which I assert is simply not true. 

/end copy pasta

Now folks pointed out the one instance of killing Zod, which was an alterative Universe Zod and is no longer in continuity.  Aside from that, no one produced any other instances where Superman (any version) killed Zod (again, any version - continuity be damned) that I can recall.

If Synder, Goyer, et al said something along the lines of "This is our modern take on Superman, and we wanted to show why Superman is so strongly opposed to killing - so we set up a scene where Superman feels he has no other choice but to kill Zod in order to save lives...blah, blah, blah".  I would probably still disagree, but I wouldn't make a big deal of it. 

And to be fair, from further interviews, that is the direction Synder, Goyer, et al, are going to go, iirc. 

The stupid thing in that scene wasn't the fact that Supes killed Zod (I have no problem with that), the stupid thing was that the fuckin' family Zod was about to kill could have just walked to their left to avoid the heat ray

Leigh - Paw, the "out of new 52 continuity" isn't valid - NOTHING has really happened in the new DC, so trying to base movies on the current continuity is daft.

Superman HAS killed Zod - plus 2 other kryptonians - in the comics and at the time, it was cannon. He also killed Zod in the fan favourite Superman II.

Man of Steel wasn't perfect but killing Zod was far from the worst of it. Phone Post 3.0

re: the new 52

You lost me.  I don't believe Man of Steel was made based on the new 52, nor am I asserting it should have been.

re: Superman has killed Zod

I mentioned that incident previously in my replies.  That's once --- and it's no longer in continuity.  Ergo, Synder's original statement of "In the comics, he's [Superman] actually killed Zod a couple of times" is not true.  Pedantic?  Guilty as charged. 

re: Man of Steel wasn't perfect but killing Zod was far from the worst of it

I completely agree.   I didn't like the movie, and having Superman kill Zod would be the least of my objections.

I think my objections to Synder's assertion is clear (if not, I can attempt to clarify).  My objection to this article is the author is (deliberately I suspect) pulling every possible instance Batman/Superman have killed context and continuity be damned.  I think's that intellectually dishonest.  YMMV, of course.

Leigh - When superman killed zod in the comics, it WAS in continuity. Heck, I think it still might be cos I think DC claim the previous stuff wasn't all wiped out with flashpoint but a different time stream was created. Who the fuck knows?

Regarding my new 52 comment, it was due to you saying Superman killing Zod was not in continuity, so the MOS movie doesn't reflect current superman. Phone Post 3.0

Perhaps I wasn't clear then.  I'm not saying that because Superman killing Zod isn't in continuity that MOS doesn't reflect current Superman.  All I'm asserting was that Synder's statement is false and the article Daredevil73 posted is intellectually dishonest.

As far as continuity goes - all that matters to me is what is in continuity now.  I don't give a rat's @ss about what may or may not have been in continuity several decades ago.  YMMV, of course.

Leigh - OK cool. Well you're entitled to your opinion but the fact remains that Superman did kill Zod in a comic in previous continuity, so it's not such a stretch to have him do it in the movie. Phone Post 3.0

I don't think I suggested it was ever a stretch.  Earlier in the thread I wrote:

/start copy pasta

Let me summarize (and I think we both agree on this)

Superman is strongly opposed to the taking of life.  There may be some very extenuating circumstances where Superman would take a life.

/end copy pasta

We can all argue about if Man of Steel was one of those extenuating circumstances or not....but that's beside the point.  My assertion has always been Synder is wrong - and that appears to be the case as no one has presented evidence to the contrary.  Even if we throw out continuity (and I don't believe we should) Superman has killed Zod once.  Not "a couple of times" as Synder claimed.  I hope I've made sense.