Tinguinha's Sitting Guard review?

Anybody have this DVD yet? If so please post a review.

Have not seen it yet, but you can trust anything Tinguinha puts out. Very good teacher . . . I am kinda surprised at how quick this DVD came out, the cross guard is still pretty new.

www.greenwhaleproductions.com

Very good... Tinguinha is top notch in his instruction!

www.DogsofWar.net

I know all of Tinguinha's material is excellent. Just need a detailed breakdown of the DVD to see if it fits into my game.

E.G., Does it cover sitting guard when opponent stands?

buy it!

Ryan,
Maybe I can help. Now a little disclamer(or maybe just a little truthfulness). I have never given out a review, and my instructors last name is not Gracie, or Machado, however I train hard and do the very best that I can, so I'll try to give you the best review I can.

I have had the dvd for about two weeks now and I can say although this is a position that I am fimiliar with, it still was not one that I was comfortable using. However, I have come across this position quite often.

Fist off, the DVD is broken down into two parts. Part 1 is Controls and Sweeps of the Sitting up Guard, and Part 2 is Finishes and pass of the Sitting Up Guard.

Part 1:
In part one they start out showing what the sitting up guard is and looks like. They show the proper way to move in the sitting up guard with out getting pinned to your back and being passed.

They then move to getting the sitting up guard from the standing position. This intales getting a basic Judo grip while pulling back and tucking the leg under your butt and sitting into the sitting up guard.

Then we go to getting the sitting up guard from the closed guard. Again, this is just a matter of posting on the elbow and scotting your hips back to tuck the legs into the sitting up guard.

After teaching how to establish position and controling the position once you have it, they then move to the first sweep...The Hook Sweep... the hook sweep is when you have the sitting up guard and then grip the arm that is on the same side of the leg that is flat on the ground and then roll over that same shoulder and lift with the other leg for the sweep.

Next we move to a second hook sweep... and while doing so they also teach you a defense to the first hook sweep. Now the sweeps shown are the same sweep, however he shows what to do if there is a counter to your sweep. First off the bad guy blocks your sweep by posting his leg. They then teach you how to switch direction and then do the sweep in the other direction.

Next they teach you another sweep from the same defense used. This time your in the same position, however doing a diffrent sweep. Just a continuation of the same technique.

Now the next two techniques were a little of a surprize to me in the fact that I didn't expect to see this in the DVD, but they talk about going from the sitting up guard to the X-guard and sweeping from the X-guard. Now not having any DVD's on the X-guard it was a nice little treat. Here we work on getting the sitting up guard and then moved into a X-guard after a counter to the Hook sweep.

The next techinque talks about the player that slides back pulling away from you in your sitting up guard. The technique shown will look as if you tuck your head under the arm of the player, as he is pinning your bent horizontal leg to the ground, then while arching and twisting into the player driving him to his back.

We then move to getting the back from the sitting guard.

Then back to another sweep, this one, if you are familiar with Judo at all looks like tomoe-nage where you post your foot in the stomach of the bad guy and sit down throwing him over you head. If you can picture that then that is similer to the sweep.

The next three sweeps focus on getting the back of your opponent. One works as the opponent attemps to pass the guard, the other is, the arm drag to the back. If you have the Marcello Garcia set then this sweep is what that first video is all about. The last one has to do with getting the sweep by taking your leg and hooking the opponents leg for a single leg takedown after faking the armdrag.

And the last sweep in the DVD in part one is taking your feet and hooking behind the knees and grabbing the heels and sweeping by pushing and pulling.

Part 2: Submissions and Passing the Sitting up guard.

The first part is submissions they do a triangle, omoplata, a collar choke, and a loop choke from the sitting up guard.

Theres then seven passes that are shown then back to two more sweeps to submission setups. First is the stepping into the triangle when you are in the standing position, and the other is an armbar done the same way.

And that compleats the DVD... It says that there is about 120 mins on this DVD and 28 total techniques. The one thing that I have noticed on this DVD is that there is an incress of replays/techniques on this DVD over the Spider Guard DVD for example.

I thought that this was a real good DVD and had excellent instruction. Angles are shown from both sides so you are not guessing on the foot placement while watching the hand movement and vice versa.

My only complaint, and it applies for all his DVD's are the fact that both guys in the DVD are wearing the same color Kimonos(this time it happens to be Black), but if thats the best I can come up with then I can't complain too much.

***Note: The summary of each technique does not do the teaching on this DVD justice. The details that I got out of this DVD, I would never be able to type it all out. This is just my opinion, and can only rate it to the level of training that I have recieved in the past.

Hope this helps in your decision!

ttt

Great review. I just got the DVD and will be adding my opinion as well. So far, I love what I saw!

So is this position sort of the same as when you are trying to play butterfly guard but your opponent isn't letting you by backing out, so you're just sitting up?

www.greenwhaleproductions.com

this sounds very interesting. i may have to miss a payment on my mortgage.

damn you Tinguinha!

damn you!!!!

Greenwhale,

It's the butterfly guard, it's just another name for it. Old school guys tend to call it the sitting guard I noticed.

nice review!

TTT

www.Dogsofwar.net

Thanks I was kinda worried on giving my thoughts...

The sitting up guard is just what bjjprim8 said. Picture your left leg bent in a vertical(up & down) position facing the guy your rolling with tucked in the "Butterfly" position under his right leg, and the right leg bent but in a horizontal direction with the feet almost touching(or in the relative area).

should be getting mine on tuesday..Cant wait

How much overlap with Stephen's butterfly guard DVD?

i assume there should be pretty much no overlap. Considering the sitting guard is usually for a standing opponent and the stuff stephan went over in his video was all with an opponent on the ground

Both people are teaching the butterfly guard. The guard jasculs is writing about is covered in Kenny Florian's gi seminar DVD. Tinguinha's and Kesting's DVD compliment each other well.

I just ordered his Spider Guard DVD. I'll be getting the Sitting Guard and Cross Guard in the next few weeks, I can't wait.

Loki, I'll take it one technique at a time! Can't wait.