Tipping at a neighborhood market?

So the is a local market by my house and I when you check out on one of those iPad registers there is a tip option. WTF? The cashier provided no service other than to ring in my groceries. She gave me a look after I selected no tip. Maybe if you got my items I for me and it just walk in to pick up them up but she's just the cashier.

I thought tips were for waiters since they made like $3 bucks an hour not someone who does nothing and makes atleast minimum wage?

I tip servers at restaurants and that's about it. If someone expects a tip just ringing up your groceries, that's ridiculous. You should go rate them online at places like Yelp and let your issue be known. Lots of changes can occur going that route.

If they're using an iPad for a register, there's just about zero chance they had anything to do with writing the software.

BarkLikeADog - If they're using an iPad for a register, there's just about zero chance they had anything to do with writing the software.

As opposed to other cashiers that did write the software?

It's been getting out of hand for years now! Tip jars or tip options everywhere I go. It's bad enough that you're socially/culturally made to feel guilty for not tipping at an eatery for average or poor service.

Tips are good. You want to spread cash around the places you frequent — skip the line at the local fine dining establishment, get the good bourbon hidden in the back, a handjob from the farmer market cashier, etc.

"As opposed to other cashiers that did write the software?"

As opposed to a company that has paid for proprietary software/POS systems. I.e the company downloaded a generic app & pressed play.

BarkLikeADog - "As opposed to other cashiers that did write the software?"

As opposed to a company that has paid for proprietary software/POS systems. I.e the company downloaded a generic app & pressed play.

However, the OP specifically reflected on the cashier that was giving him the stink eye when he opted for zero tip.

The only person who works at a grocery store deserving of tips are the people who bring stuff to your car for you. Even then...meh. That's like one of their three tasks for the day.

At a grocery? No. But I typically will round up to the next dollar for coffee places, sandwich shops, etc.

This tipping shit is beyond out of hand.

Just don't tip for anything, problem solved

ABCTT_GROUNDnLB -
BarkLikeADog - "As opposed to other cashiers that did write the software?"

However, the OP specifically reflected on the cashier that was giving him the stink eye when he opted for zero tip.

Yup how horrific of me for not tipping for a the 3 items I walked around the store and put in a basket myself. Wonder how much of a tip they expect scanning 3 items and putting them in the bag I brought with me?

LFTM -

At a grocery? No. But I typically will round up to the next dollar for coffee places, sandwich shops, etc.

It's a local neighborhood market I've never been expected to tip a cashier in a market before it seemed odd.

BarkLikeADog - If they're using an iPad for a register, there's just about zero chance they had anything to do with writing the software.
Haven't you seen these iPad registers everywhere now. They are not writing the software and are using 3rd party software. They can set it up without a tip option which would make sense for a neighborhood market.

Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -

Tips are good. You want to spread cash around the places you frequent — skip the line at the local fine dining establishment, get the good bourbon hidden in the back, a handjob from the farmer market cashier, etc.

I need to find which farmers market you're going to

It's the commie area you live in. They want you to believe they need $15 hr and free everything, since that's not happening they are trying to guilt you into giving then what they aren't worth .

fastnotch331 - It's the commie area you live in. They want you to believe they need $15 hr and free everything, since that's not happening they are trying to guilt you into giving then what they aren't worth .
They are also bitching because they are building a wholefoods 365 store across the street in a development called The Local. Gentrification pushing them out so they can need those tips more then ever. They are having a weenie roast kickball game today at the park by me today.

Mutant -
fastnotch331 - It's the commie area you live in. They want you to believe they need $15 hr and free everything, since that's not happening they are trying to guilt you into giving then what they aren't worth .
They are also bitching because they are building a wholefoods 365 store across the street in a development called The Local. Gentrification pushing them out so they can need those tips more then ever. They are having a weenie roast kickball game today at the park by me today.
Need to rename that place new Leningrad.