Tips for Old Guy Getting Back Into BJJ?

Hiya folks. I’m 36. Haven’t rolled in 12 years. Did it on and off for a couple. Need to lose about 30 pounds which is one of the reasons I’m getting back into it. 

I lift a lot but there is no cardio. Another reason I’m getting back into it. My concern is flexibility and that I had spinal surgery 1.5 years ago. I expressed that to the instructor and he knows I’m going to ease back into rolling. Any advice?

I start Tuesday btw. Pretty excited about it as my 9 year old is going as well so we can bond on the way to and from classes. 

NEVER TAP TO WHITEBELTS!

King Trav -

NEVER TAP TO WHITEBELTS!

I’m not going to tap to anyone ever to assert my dominance. 

If you’re in a bad position and can’t escape, grab their nuts and squeeze really hard. 

You in Cincinnati?

for some reason, I remember a thread long ago where you were in Cincinnati 

Old? Shit dog I'm pushing the big 5 0. Just ease into it. How long did you train before the break? To see real weight loss, you need to train for about a year. Step up the intensity after a few months and get after it. Injuries will sideline your progress. Think longevity. 

I was a beginning white belt at 36 and not a black belt until age 51. That was nearly four years ago. I respect that you have had a serious orthopedic surgery, so train carefully, but get this age thing behind you.

circusmonkey -

I was a beginning white belt at 36 and not a black belt until age 51. That was nearly four years ago. I respect that you have had a serious orthopedic surgery, so train carefully, but get this age thing behind you.

That’s good perspective, thanks. 

Robobear -

Old? Shit dog I'm pushing the big 5 0. Just ease into it. How long did you train before the break? To see real weight loss, you need to train for about a year. Step up the intensity after a few months and get after it. Injuries will sideline your progress. Think longevity. 

I trained for a couple years off and on but it was my “mma years“ and I was going much harder than I would now. 

I knew I would hear what I wanted when I posted here lol. 

Nothing you learned previously works anymore.

–It’s ALL leg locks now. So don’t embarrass yourself by trying any of the outdated moves or people will laugh at you.

Try to randomly throw the term “honey hole” around, until you get up to speed.

shen - Nothing you learned previously works anymore.

–It’s ALL leg locks now. So don’t embarrass yourself by trying any of the outdated moves or people will laugh at you.

Try to randomly throw the term “honey hole” around, until you get up to speed.

So like first day insist that I introduce myself to the class and say something like “it’s been a long time but I can’t wait to enjoy your honey holes.” ?  Wrote it down. 

^ That would be perfect!

MarsMan -
Arglebargle - 

Any advice?

I much older that you and never really stopped for that long but here's my take.

Do it only for 2x/week for the first couple of weeks... give your body some EXTRA time to recover from a totally new effort (you will likely use more strength than necessary too).

Most times I keep it to only 3x/wk... I like to give a full day of rest between sessions (and lift on the off days)... I'll add an extra day if work allows or the previous day was a little easier than usual.

Let the guys you roll with know about the injury, especially if it was a cervical one (in that case, at least for a while, avoid trying to do inverted shit).

(As much as possible) Make your training your priority for the day, hydrate well before class, schedule your stuff so you don't get late and you don't have to leave early, you know the drill.

Take a few minutes after class to relax, stretch and review what was taught.

Have fun!

Add more sessions/intensity if you see fit, but wait at least a full month.

Appreciate the advice. Will reread this again Tuesday. The injury was L5/S1 so I’m not as worried as I would be with a C surgery. But...still leery. I responded to a similar post just now on my other thread. I’m easing into this and will try to not live roll for at least a month. I think the key to me being successful at all this will be keeping myself in check and remembering I’m not a young buck anymore. 

When you roll with girls, make sure you compliment them lots. “You smell pretty” “I like the way you breath when you’re working hard” and “your skin is so soft and smooth” are go tos for me. Try those, or come up with your own. 

King Trav -

When you roll with girls, make sure you compliment them lots. “You smell pretty” “I like the way you breath when you’re working hard” and “your skin is so soft and smooth” are go tos for me. Try those, or come up with your own. 

Or just stay in their guard and look deeply into their eyes. 

Well good tbing you lift, yoi at least have a base of strength and muscle to help protect you and hold shit together. That said, dont make too much use of your strength. It will hold you back and cause escalation witj partners. Make sure you partners know about your spine so they dont do stupod shit. Scale back yourlifting for a few months.

For older guys I say focus on you movement and positioning to keep yourself safe and prevent further injuring your problem areas. Obviously dont be afraid to tap to stay safe.

Breathe…monitor you breathing well. It will help you maintain your intenisty level, which you really want to keep below 75% max effort. In fact your first couple of months, dont go above 65% level.

Obviously you not gonna be a world-beater, so just have fun being a recreastional player. But LOL@36 being “old”…i make 50 in <6mos

Talk to your instructor about your injury.  He may want you to just drill, but if you roll he will know who best to pair you with.

Do you know the guys on the mat?  

Just be selfish with your training.

lol@36 being old

Best advice. WAIT.

Do 4 months of Yoga and weight training before you even think about it. 

Yoga 2-3x week, weights 2.3x week. 

Judge Mental -

Best advice. WAIT.

Do 4 months of Yoga and weight training before you even think about it. 

Yoga 2-3x week, weights 2.3x week. 

Too late. Started back up last night. Took it easy and just drilled. Of course an old toe injury popped back up during warmups. But it’s a tie so I’m not real worried about it. Although I do think I need to tape it tomorrow which is lame. 

I’ve been lifting since two months after my back surgery. 2-4 times a week for 20 months. A good deal of core work (although you couldn’t tell by looking lol) and stretching as well. Feels good, man. 

Talked to the instructor last night after and he told me when I was ready to roll just let him know. I told him my goal is to not roll until the end of April. He gets it.