Tito..Hughes...Gatekeepers?

First off, I want to say that both Tito and Hughes have been great champs and deserve the recognition and respect of those following the sport. The title of gatekeeper was not meant to be disrespectful. But in both cases, I do not see how either of them can beat the current champ.

Tito can not beat Liddell. Hughes can not beat GSP. (Though Hughes has a better chance than Tito imo) They can also be argued as the # 2/3 guys in their division. This is how they become the gatekeeper for the champ.

Randy was smart, and got out while he did. Tito and Hughes are still both young in age even though they've been around for awhile. I guess you can still have a lucrative career as the gatekeeper for Chuck and GSP. Should these guys keep fighting even though they can't beat the #1 guy? Maybe it's time to move to Pride and try their luck there. Of course, never say never, but it seems that the champs are too good for these guys.

But how horrible is that for the divison to have Hughes as gatekeeper? Very few people would make it to GSP. lol

yeah, gatekeepers... Chuck and GSP will either die of boredom or of poverty from lack of fighting purses because nobody ever gets to them...

The greatest Welterweight of all time a "gatekeeper?" What color is the sky in your world?

OMFG are you serious?

No disrespect intended, but I don't think you quite get the meaning of the term gatekeeper - it's not someone who is #2 or #3 in a division!

This term refers to someone who has a solid skillset and always gives his all, and is a good barometer for other fighters to gauge their legitimacy by - Kazuyuki Fujita is a classic example IMO.

Forrest Griffin...imo.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if the terms "gatekeeper" and "washed up" were completely removed from the mma lexicon.

As ridiculously dominant as Hughes has been, to consider him a gatekeeper after his one loss to the likes to GSP is absolutely ludicrous. He may not be champion right now, but he's still a top contender.

Although Tito hasn't been as dominant recently in his division as Hughes has been in his, Tito is certainly no 'gatekeeper' either. Anyone who could beat Tito would easily be a top contender in LHW.

Are Hughes and Ortiz great fighters? Yes.

Are they good enough to take the belt from the current title holders? Nope.

Are they each #2 in their division? Yes.

Therefore, Hughes and Ortiz are the gatekeepers to GSP and Liddell.

Not to be confused with a guy like Joe Riggs, who is a more traditional gatekeeper.

"Are Hughes and Ortiz great fighters? Yes.
Are they good enough to take the belt from the current title holders? Nope.

Are they each #2 in their division? Yes.

Therefore, Hughes and Ortiz are the gatekeepers to GSP and Liddell.

Not to be confused with a guy like Joe Riggs, who is a more traditional gatekeeper."

Thank goodness there are some people who did well in reading comprehension. Thanks rbrad, this is what I meant by my post.

" I guess you can still have a lucrative career as the gatekeeper for Chuck and GSP."

They would essentially be gatekeepers to Chuck and GSP. I don't ever seem them winning against these guys. Not saying they are bottom level fighters etc.

But how horrible is that for the divison to have Hughes as gatekeeper? Very few people would make it to GSP. lol

+1 here, dude hughes as a gatekeeper, try ficket, diaz, kos

They just happen to be DAMN good gatekeepers. You've just witnessed the evolution of MMA once again. Recognize.

Chuck will lose within the next few years and most likely slip from then on; the guy is 37, and while he isn't a complete lush or drug addict, let's face it: the guy isn't Randy Couture in the "my body is a temple" dept. I agree it looks like a pretty big long shot for Tito to beat Liddell (or even get another shot), but if Rampage for instance beats Liddell, I think Tito could beat him. Tito is basically like Nog has been in Pride for the longest time, able to beat just about everybody like he owns them, except for the champ.

Hughes has no chance in a rematch with GSP, IMO. I've noticed, even against Riggs, that his clinching and takedown game has been slipping. compared to the new welterweights, he's not as freakishly strong as he was even a year ago.

I remember the first GSP fight, thinking "holy shit, this guy has Hughes' number." That armbar was a miracle, but also shows how skilled and experienced Hughes has become. Before the rematch, all I'm thinking is "how in the fuck is Hughes winning this?" because he had a hard enough time getting GSP down the first time, and had to outsmart Penn to escape that ass whooping (and who knows how much Penn's rib helped him...I know when that happened to me, i literally went to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack or something. that is an injury you just can't fight off mentally, like you can a broken hand). I hate to think of Hughes as a gatekeeper, but he has to seriously outsmart GSP somehow to win, because in every other area he is fucked.

And all of this reminds me, I'm gonna be really bummed if Penn stays at 155, and we never see a rematch with GSP.

I don't think Hughes is slipping as much as other fighters are getting better. Let's hear it for the constant EVOLUTION of MMA.

hughes has beaten gsp

he stands a better chance than tito vs chuck

Dude, I'm not sure you understand what a "gate keeper" means. Both Hughes and Tito are far too talented to be gatekeepers. Like someone above said, GSP and Chuck will be pretty damn bored if everyone has to to trough Tito and Hughes first.

The term Gatekeeper is normally reserved for fighters like Gary Goodridge, whom good fighters have a chance to beat... you have to be much more then a good fighter to beat Hughes..

They are not "Gatekeepers".  I agree that Tito will not beat Chuck and Hughes will not beat GSP or BJ Penn either.

"They just happen to be DAMN good gatekeepers. You've just
witnessed
the evolution of MMA once again. Recognize."

Exactly. Maybe the word "gatekeeper" is too loaded a term. But the
point
is that although Tito and Hughes are good/great fighters and past
champions...they simply cannot beat the current title holders. LOL @
the people going bonkers over the term "gatekeeper" without being
able to read it in context. But my mistake for using that word in the
first place.

Randy got
out. Heard rumors that he would come back if Tito won (rumors
only...),
but didn't hear anything about him coming back if Chuck won.

Again, not saying Tito and Hughes are bad fighters, there is a reason
why they
held the belt, but I am just saying I do not see how they can up their
game
anymore. They've reached their limit imo, and the next breed of
fighters
are taking over. Guys that can do everything, and are extremely
athletic
as well. I guess it will be like the old Tyson Punchout on NES. They
will
be like Sandman before you can fight Tyson.

IF they are the gatekeepers you are going to have very very very few people get in. I presume this is a troll job however because only a complete idiot would actually think losing one fight to an amazing fighter relegate Hughes to gate keeper status.