TMA about crossbows, please

As today is Amazon Prime Day, some of the deals are unreal.  Kinda thinking I might get a crossbow.  It'd be used for target practice, potentially hunting (elk at the biggest, I think, though I don't pretend to know if that's viable as I don't really have hunting experience), and, of course, zombies in the apocalypse.

Any suggestions on brands or models?  Anything in particular I should be looking for?

Thanks for any tips

Barnett's are badass crossbows. Try to get a package deal if you can (comes with a scope). Phone Post 3.0

Good to know, thanks

Good anti-zombie weapon if you are as cool as Darryl.

I think I'm about 80% as cool as Darryl

Mencken - 

I think I'm about 80% as cool as Darryl

http://25.media.tumblr.com/91413970b5fa6eccffa0df0b3ddf5aab/tumblr_mihrmaJDmB1r55i5mo1_500.gif

Check your state laws if you intend on hunting w/it

there are draw weight regulations, overall range runs from 75 to 125 pounds

better-hunting crossbows are in the range of 150 to 175 pounds, a few exceeding 200 pounds. Generally, bigger is better—or, in this case, faster. You can go too heavy, though. And at least one state (Ohio) has a maximum allowable draw weight of 200 pounds.

chose a good arrow shaft that can handle draw weight

Buy a good range finder

Barnetts are the cheapest made pieces of shit. Get a ten point. Actually be a man and get a compound bow, or be a real badass and go traditional. But dont just up and walk into the woods without educating yourself.

Lousy zombie weapon, almost impossible to hit the brain or brain-stem perfectly and it reloads slow and arrows are a hassle compared to bullets.... But good for hunting in an apocalyptic setting where there isn't access to ammo you can try and salvage/re-use bolts for the crossbow and sharpen broadheads.... Barnett is good but pricey, honestly bro, anything that looks solid and shoots real aluminum bolts around at least 325 fps will serve you perfectly, look for a package that has bolts and a scope and id bet you can get what you need for 350$ normally so maybe like 200-250 if there's some crazy sale... Phone Post 3.0

You enjoy the siren call that your bullets will make, alerting all the zombies in the area to your presence.  I'll stick with my silent killer

Muppetmower88 - Barnetts are the cheapest made pieces of shit. Get a ten point. Actually be a man and get a compound bow, or be a real badass and go traditional. But dont just up and walk into the woods without educating yourself.

Why is a bow more "manly"?  Does that mean a gun is the most womanly tool to choose?  

And I know a lot about the woods, as I've spent a ton of time in them, but not about hunting.  Not disagreeing with your point, as I'd certainly educate myself about hunting before trying it...just saying that I'm not starting from ground zero

Russfromlowell - Check your state laws if you intend on hunting w/it

better-hunting crossbows are in the range of 150 to 175 pounds, a few exceeding 200 pounds. Generally, bigger is better—or, in this case, faster. You can go too heavy, though. And at least one state (Ohio) has a maximum allowable draw weight of 200 pounds.

Buy a good range finder

Thanks.  Any particular brands you'd suggest?

they are for the biggest of pussy hunters

Anyone saying barnetts are good is not very familiar with the brand. I've only have seen barnetts blown up. Reason being they dont have the same features as the other brands, Ten Point, Excalibur. These brands will out perform barnett all day. Ten point comes sighted in and guaranteed to hit @ 40 yards. There customer service is top notch and imo make the best crossbows in the industry for the price. And I'm anti-crossbow hunting.

But if your just messing around in the yard then have fun and get a cheap barnett

Mencken - 
Russfromlowell - Check your state laws if you intend on hunting w/it

Buy a good range finder

Thanks.  Any particular brands you'd suggest?

Barnett, Tenpoint and Excalibur

Try to find something with an crank cocking aid as well,
no matter how strong you think you are cocking a heavy draw weight is a pain in the ass

Muppetmower88 - Anyone saying barnetts are good is not very familiar with the brand. I've only have seen barnetts blown up. Reason being they dont have the same features as the other brands, Ten Point, Excalibur. These brands will out perform barnett all day. Ten point comes sighted in and guaranteed to hit @ 40 yards. There customer service is top notch and imo make the best crossbows in the industry for the price. And I'm anti-crossbow hunting.

But if your just messing around in the yard then have fun and get a cheap barnett

Haha, you've shit on crossbow hunting twice now.  Can you tell me why?  I'd rather not buy something and decide later that I fucked up...and today's deals are so good that I'd have to get it now

If you want to hunt just to kill a trophy then use a rifle or crossbow. If you are doing it for the pure enjoyment of hunting, get a compound. The sense of pride and accomplishment you get from bringing down an animal with a compound is amazing. You know you outsmarted the animal by being able to get in close undetected. Crossbows take part of the challenge away. Once the deer is close you just point and shoot. That's not as rewarding to me. One of the greatest feelings in my life was when I killed my first deer with a bow. In my opinion crossbows are for older men that can't draw a compound easily. Phone Post 3.0

Hah Really just barnett. But archery is a sport, it takes discipline and patience. You draw your bow, anchor, loose. Its fun enjoyable. I use to work in sporting goods and just saw the slobs that bought crossbows. They are not hunters they dont respect the woods like I do. they would openly admit to shooting deer at ridiculous distances and not recover game. Sight it in once and wont touch It until season rolls around

There are those that take it serious and are ethical. I respect those kind. But generally they are lazy slobs. "I shoot crossbow because I dont have time to practice with a upright bow" but they have time to hunt?

But if your doing crossbow hunting have fun just do it right. Educate yourself and enjoy being outside.