TMA Italian-US Dual Citizenship

I recently learned that since 1992, any US citizen (possibly anyone from anywhere, not sure) who has Italian lineage that they can document is allowed to be granted Italian citizenship. I figure there are agencies and a few grand involved if you really want to get it done and have the lineage to prove.

So, given what we know, good and bad, about Italy right now and in general, are there still interesting cultural or financial opportunities to be had with American money there, does citizenship provide anything cool related to healthcare or retirement, etc? Are they more irreparably doomed as an economy and culture than most others as a result of covid, immigration, or other?

Anyone with any experience or curiosity in this area?

Relevant to my interests 

My grandfather emigrated from Italy with grandmom and two of their eventual 5 kids in the 1920s. A couple of my cousins went back to visit some relatives in the 70s. I would love to do the same some day. This idea sounds interesting!

There probably aren't many downsides to it unless you have your heart set on getting a job that requires security clearances.

There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all.

1 Like

Now... that being said...

If anyone wants to TAKE Italy with me and restore the crown, I'm all for it. We shall make Italy part of America and you'll all be given land and title. I will rule like my forefathers. Fairly, but in a wholly debaucherous manner.

In my research, if your male relative that immigrated from Italy after 1936, you’re in the clear. My great grandfather came over before that, however he wasn’t naturalized until my grandfather was borin in 1936. So I believe that means I’m in the clear. I plan to obtain once this whole thing “dies” down.

This sounds like a good idea. I imagine that things will get cheaper there soon. I wish they did this for Portugal.

Dual citizenship is immoral. 

1 Like

I’ve looked into it - my dad grew up in Sicily...I don’t really see the benefit but it’s nice to have that option.

The Mat Pimp - 

Yep. Shouldn't be allowed, at least in this country. Teddy had it right.

BonedByPicograms* - 
BonedByPicograms* -
sadic1 - I recently learned that since 1992, any US citizen (possibly anyone from anywhere, not sure) who has Italian lineage that they can document is allowed to be granted Italian citizenship. I figure there are agencies and a few grand involved if you really want to get it done and have the lineage to prove.

So, given what we know, good and bad, about Italy right now and in general, are there still interesting cultural or financial opportunities to be had with American money there, does citizenship provide anything cool related to healthcare or retirement, etc? Are they more irreparably doomed as an economy and culture than most others as a result of covid, immigration, or other?

Anyone with any experience or curiosity in this area?

Not completely true.  There are many variables. For it to work.  We tried and my wife’s great great grandfather was born 1 week after the cut off date.

Also,  are you going the maternal or paternal route?

Date of naturalization is also a factor.

Interesting stuff, thanks! Did you use an agency? I assumed that would give you your best chance since they know the ropes.

Both grandparents on my fathers side and one on my mothers side were born in Italy and came to the us legally through Ellis Island. It looks like I would meet the criteria, unless Im reading it wrong. If your wife's great, great grandfather was born a week after the cutoff, why couldn't his father be documented and used instead?

Altofsky - 
The Mat Pimp - 

I can definitely see the rationale for this thinking, but I still want to know my options! :)

Altofsky -
The Mat Pimp - 

As far as the US government is concerned, dual citizenship isn't a legal concept that exists. Any other citizenships you have are not considered any of their business.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all ... The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic ... There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

-Theodore Roosevelt Jr.

But let’s talk Sicilian women. I’ve been to the mainland solo a few times and Sicily. Two different worlds. Mainland Italians came off as pussies and Betas. Sicilians are rougher around the edges, which I loved. The women. Ohhhhh the women.

Mainlanders are pretty, but Sicilians are beautiful. So sexy. And blunt and to the point. I told my current girlfriend I’m headed back solo in winter. She’s not pleased with me.

You wouldn't have been very popular during WW2. 

anthonyMI - 
Altofsky -
The Mat Pimp - 

As far as the US government is concerned, dual citizenship isn't a legal concept that exists. Any other citizenships you have are not considered any of their business.

Yup. Well aware. Disagree vehemently.

Teddy had it right.

I'm no Italian American or McAmerican. I'm American.

I'd look into any possible tax implications.

"Traditional Martial Arts" Italian-US Dual Citizenship?" like centurion stuff?