TME about cameras!

In the market for a nicer camera than my smartphone. I'd be using it to capture memories of my first kid we had a few weeks ago and shoot some videos. I'm looking for something versatile but not break the bank. Ideally no more than $800.

New to this so what features/specs should I look for and any specific cameras to recommend. Appreciate the help!

Get one of them Polaroid instamatics

- Gramps

just use your phone, your kid isn't that special

big thread on it a few mos back.  i'll bump it for you.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/OtherGround/DSLRFancy-Cameras:2666082-1

New phones do a good enough job for me.

Panasonic G-7. Small, Light, Will do 4-K Video and really good hd 1080 video. = about $480 with one kit lens from several different places online.

Panasonic G-85. Small, light, will do 4-K video and really good hd 1080 video. It is an update to the G7 and has 5 Axis Stabilization for really really smooth video and it will help you take better stills. About $700+ and depending on where you get it, it might come with a decent kit lens.

I'm a Panasonic user and really really like the size, quality, price and usability (Screens, layout etc) of them. They are whats called a Micro Four Thirds sensor so it is a small sensor and not as good in low light. Each one comes with a built in flash. Also has the ability to send pictures straight to your phone which is nice.

I'm sure other users will have their opinions as well. Go to a store and hold one and mess around with it.

You can get a very nice little starting setup for $800. Busy now but I'll throw in some recommendations when i get home.

I work as a photographer. I used to bust out my $4k DSLR for moments I really wanted captured well. Now, I honestly just use my phone (Galaxy S8) unless I need something very specific.

The thing is, expensive cameras are super useful if you're good at photo editing or understand how to use different lenses optimally. If I'm not planning on editing a photo heavily or get a depth-of-field effect, I don't bust out the nice camera anymore.

EFM -

Thanks!

It is more about the lens then the camera. Which every system or camera you go with, please pick up a cheap 50mm 1.8 lens. The kit lens will totally underwhelm you. 

Sony s6000....cheap. a6300 step up but still in your range

jcblass -

It is more about the lens then the camera. Which every system or camera you go with, please pick up a cheap 50mm 1.8 lens. The kit lens will totally underwhelm you. 

So true.  Prime lenses (fixed focal lengths) are typically much cheaper, much faster, and much better glass than a zoom lens.  They take much better pics but require a lot more walking.

EFM -

Thanks for bumping this. Couldn’t find it on this shitty app. 

Toiletclogger -
EFM -

Thanks for bumping this. Couldn’t find it on this shitty app. 

You bet.

EFM -
jcblass -

So true.  Prime lenses (fixed focal lengths) are typically much cheaper, much faster, and much better glass than a zoom lens.  They take much better pics but require a lot more walking.

These two guys have said the smartest stuff so far.

StankieEdgar -
EFM -
jcblass -

These 3 gentlemen know whats up!

Get that cheap 50mm f/1.8 asap for nice bokeh/blurry background and your results will look much better. Will also let you shoot easier in low light.
Next investment should be an external flashgun.
Good luck, fren.

Just purchased the A6000 but shit Best Buy rapes you on those memory cards!

ThinkAlpha - Just purchased the A6000 but shit Best Buy rapes you on those memory cards!
Best Buy is not the place to get camera gear and accessories

StankieEdgar -
ThinkAlpha - Just purchased the A6000 but shit Best Buy rapes you on those memory cards!
Best Buy is not the place to get camera gear and accessories
Where do you recommend?

MojoJojo - 
StankieEdgar -
EFM -
jcblass -

These 3 gentlemen know whats up!

Get that cheap 50mm f/1.8 asap for nice bokeh/blurry background and your results will look much better. Will also let you shoot easier in low light.
Next investment should be an external flashgun.
Good luck, fren.

Correct, people think th DSLR itself is what gives that "professional" look. They assume because the DSLR (or mirrorless) was $700.00 dollars, "it must take professional images." However, the kit lens these 600-800 dollar systems ship with are mostly garbage, and will only give you really large snap shots. Yes, I know some nice photos can be taken with a kit lens, but that usually falls on the subject matter coupled with a decent photographer. However, a nice fast 50mm lens will take a snap shot of your kids and really make it pop if you read up a bit and understand how depth of field works etc...10 or 15 minutes on youtube will get you started, perfecting it takes longer. 

I have studied photography academically, and worked as a professional photographer for many years. All too often I hear people complain that they are not happy with the results of their new fancy DSLR "kit." 

This clip is a bit sarcastic, but makes some good points.