TME about selling autographed baseballs

So Ive got an 80yr old baseball and Im trying to figure out its value so I can sell it.

Ive looked online, and from my understanding, authenticator sites want me to send them my baseball AND pay them like $100 PER NAME to authenticate its legitimacy. Fuck that noise.

Thought about just throwing it up on eBay & Craigslist but dont know if thats the best route to go? Any advice? Anyone well versed in this 'industry'?

IF a blue would be so kind

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/2106030/81921231.jpg

http://smokingwaitress.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Smoking-Baseball-Women-Pictures-19.jpg

http://baseballhotcorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ditchinwork.jpg

The ball in question is a 1934 Detroit Tigers baseball, they were AL champs that year. Ball is signed by player-manager Micky Cochrane, as well as the rest of the roster, including other Hall of Famers Hank Greenberg, Charlie Gehringer & Goose Goslin.

Its been shellacked, so its got a yellowish tint to it, so Im assuming this will drop its value.

Too many dishonest people ruined the trade without verification. Anymore you need to have it psa verified to get anything for it..... Phone Post 3.0

I don't know much about them

But I do know someone who knows all about baseballs, mind if I call him to take a look?

"Ive looked online, and from my understanding, authenticator sites want me to send them my baseball AND pay them like $100 PER NAME to authenticate its legitimacy. Fuck that noise."

Cool so when your ball sells for $200 you wont complain right???

You really have no option BUT to authenticate it through PSA/JSA in some manner.

If you dont you will get a tenth of what your hoping to because people dont want to take the chance.

Then the buyer will send it to PSA/JSA anyways.

And if it comes back to them as fake in any way, they'll file a claim, win, get their refund, and youll still be left with the ball.

You could put a reserve on the ebay listing, but people also dont like that.

Dont quote me but I think PSA has an option where you can send them pics of online listings and ask for their opinion of yay or nay. I think its about $25 or something.

Its not 100% obviously because the ball wouldnt be infront of them but its better than nothing so maybe look into that option.

If it does exist, create the listing then send the picture submission to them on your own listing and see what they say.

Thanks for the replies. Checked out PSA, its expensive but not as bad as I thought. No choice but to authenticate. Gotta spend money to make money I suppose. Then again, authentication cost is why its been sitting in a case for 10+yrs.

Authentication is a joke. TSN just did a report on it. They had an art student fake 17 autographs and took them to a trade show. They took the fakes to 3 different authenticators and all 17 fakes were authenticated without issue. Your ball will undoubtedly fetch a higher price if authenticated, but I wouldn't trust any authentication personally Phone Post 3.0

MayorPirkle - Authentication is a joke. TSN just did a report on it. They had an art student fake 17 autographs and took them to a trade show. They took the fakes to 3 different authenticators and all 17 fakes were authenticated without issue. Your ball will undoubtedly fetch a higher price if authenticated, but I wouldn't trust any authentication personally Phone Post 3.0

I agree.

But hes looking to sell, not buy.

So if he wants to maximize his sell price and exposure, he'll get that certificate and list the ball sitting beside it.

MusclesMarinara -
MayorPirkle - Authentication is a joke. TSN just did a report on it. They had an art student fake 17 autographs and took them to a trade show. They took the fakes to 3 different authenticators and all 17 fakes were authenticated without issue. Your ball will undoubtedly fetch a higher price if authenticated, but I wouldn't trust any authentication personally Phone Post 3.0

I agree.

But hes looking to sell, not buy.

So if he wants to maximize his sell price and exposure, he'll get that certificate and list the ball sitting beside it.

Oh for sure. Even fakes are authenticated nowadays, good luck selling anything that isn't Phone Post 3.0