tme salary negotiation

May be promoted at work soon- tme about negotiating salary that has worked for you.

Going for me i know the "target" salary raise percentage. Im researching salary.com and glassdoor.com for similar job titles and salary ranges as ammo too- are there better sites for this?

Check with recruiters too. Usually they are pretty free with ranges in your area.

I just interviewed for a promotion a couple of weeks ago that would have involved added supervision of 3 departments and I have no supervisory position. It would have been way more responsibility and require way more than the 40 hours per week I put in now. They liked me for the position, but we couldnt see eye to eye on salary. I asked for 18% and said that I was not willing to negotiate the number. I had a good justification for my number, but they ultimately decided to interview external candidates. I'm content with the way it played out though because 18% really was my floor for taking on the work load increase.

TL;RD - asked for high non-negotiable raise for promotion. Did not get promotion.

Yea most important is to know what other people in the same position makes.

Also don't focus on only salary, sometimes they will budge on benefits more than salary.

So try to squeeze an extra week of vacation out of them.

Ask for more than you actually want, or something like that.

All I know is I suck at it. I'd like to know some tips too

if you have real leverage you can get a big increase. Otherwise it will be nominal 

In

Show em your hog

try bene's if not salary .. more weeks vacation, ect

1st rule of negotiations...

NEVER GO 1st

2nd rule of negotiations 

you can never ever go up... but you can always come down.. so start higher than you want 

Once you put your number out there... stay silent .. it doesn't matter how uncomfortable the silence is... or how long it lasts.. but the next person to speak will lose the negotiation. 

androb -

Once you put your number out there... stay silent .. it doesn't matter how uncomfortable the silence is... or how long it lasts.. but the next person to speak will lose the negotiation. 

http://giphy.com/gifs/ytwfxx-cat-drawing-3o6Zt0fifTY4hRIUdG

androb -

if you make successive offers, you have effectively negotiated against yourself 

So glassdoor and salary.com are basically worthless... they end up fishing for info oj my current salary and job description

Did find a few comparable, though not exact, positions with pay ranges. My plan is to have the following ready:

1. Measured accomplishments on where my department and company were before they hired me, vs. Where they are now

2. Have as many salary range comps as.possible for the industrt and area

Reaching out to a recruiter for salary ranges- think theyd share that info? They get paid if they place me, not by giving away what they know

One thing to avoid: many companies will try to avoid raises by giving impressive sounding titles instead. You cannot spend a title.

Know the amount you want, and then ask for 10% more than that, with well stated rationale for why you deserve it.

Most larger companies will have pretty specific guidelines on promotions and increases.  You can probably negotiate 2 to 3% over what they offer, but probably not much more.  Dont expect to get rich on your first big promotion, the key is getting the promotion as it will lead to better increases later and more possible growth.

The guy that negotiated himself out of a promotion is pretty much dead in the water with that company.

I think you should show them your butthole during negotiations.

just ask them for their range and criteria beforehand... save everybody a bunch of hassle. no way they won't appreciate that kind of leadership