To all the Mark Hunt doubters

Still haven't seen the fight but if the heavyweight dropped the middleweight 3 times (with punches) and the middleweight keept getting back up would it be fair to say that Mark never really hurt his opponent either???

Not saying Hunt didn't deserve the win just interesting to see a few on her say Vanderlei never did anything to cause damage to Hunt yet doesn't seem Hunts punches did much damage to Vanderlei either.

Keats i would have to disagree, if you get punched and you go down it has done some damage!!!

i recommend you watch the fight and see what happens when he gets the uppercut followed by the hook. Vanderlei is one tough guy to get up after that.

yep in the first round from what i heard

Thats cool, just asking and going off what others are saying on here. I have seen alot of people get dropped in boxing and get not get hurt and infact get straight up and win the fight.

Probably missed it in the post but where can I get the fight from.

Either way it's got to be a huge thing for Hunt and New Zealand/Australia.

"I actually think Elvis probably is correct about him not having confidence with his submissions. But I do think that if you put most BJJ Black belts, with Silva's physical capabilities, mounted on Mark Hunt, they would be able to submit him. "

yes Drizzit44, perhaps the Gracies could show him, although they were scalped by saku, who in turn was molested by Silva.

"yes Drizzit44, perhaps the Gracies could show him, although they were scalped by saku, who in turn was molested by Silva."

I'm sorry, but I don't get the connection between what I posted and this comment.

The thing people tend to get confused about, is that in this sport, a win or loss in any one fight means bugger all!

Just because Hunt beat Silva and Silva beat Saku, doesnt mean that Hunt should beat Saku. Any fighter on their day can win or lose.

Im sick of all the teenies saying 'he beat him so that must mean he will know beat this guy'.

Im not trying to shit on Hunts win. It was an awesome match and he deserved the split (under pride rules). But if they fought again in 2 months, whos to say Silva wont win?
Another thing, is the whole doubting Silvas bjj black belt. BJJ is not MMA. And fighting in a ring is so different than rolling at the gym.

-Dave

Agreed 100%

Dave Foki has German Suplexed the correct!

The other problem is also most of the subs from mount put you at a great risk of getting reversed and ending up underneath your opponant, something I'm sure Silva would have wanted to avoid.

Elvis

"Another thing, is the whole doubting Silvas bjj black belt. BJJ is not MMA. And fighting in a ring is so different than rolling at the gym."

This is true, and i would also like to add that I think Silva is an awsome fighter, probably the best at his weight. I was just a bit dissapointed that he didn't do more when he had the mount, he was very defensive and consequently didn't do much damage from that position.

He wasn't going to win standing, so he needed to do more when he had it on the ground. Also, when he got rolled while trying the figure four it was largely because he didn't apply it properly.

Hunt won the fight via the "damage" criteria IMO.

I know all the diff ones come up, but they were both aggressive and trying to finish the fight (well wandy was via 3 sub attempts, 1 which looked the goods and the others not so) and all wandy did was get a few takedowns after that.

Keats, I know it sounds weird to hear about how wandy got dropped, but goddamn, in the 2nd round Hunt hit him with this widowmaker right-hand and it looked like it was all over. Wandy didnt even crawl back to the centre for restart afterwards, he scooted lol. But the damage criteria would be pointless if it only counted if it finished the fight. Either way, Wandy taking this fight just inspired more awe than ever, but I was stoked Mark got the win.

Oh an BTW Raspar, isn't Hunt from NZ, not Australia? :)

Stats: Power Punches: Hunt 19 Silva 1

Power Knees and Kicks: Hunt 2 Silva 2

Takedowns: Hunt 0 Silva 7

Reverses or Standup: Hunt 4 Silva 0

Knockdowns: Hunt 2 Silva 0

Deep Submission Attempts: Hunt 0 Silva 3

Mounts: Hunt 0 Silva 2

Standup: Hunt completely dominated the standup and nearly had Silva out. Silva did not connect solidly on but one power punch the entire fight and did no damage to Hunt with strikes. Silva mostly threw wild punches that never landed.

Ground Game: Silva scored 7 takedowns but Hunt reversed or stood up 4 times. Silva did no significant damage from the top and mostly stalled. Silva mounted 2 times but used this position only to stall with no offense. Silva scored 3 deep submission attempts but only one really came anywhere close to finishing it. Hunt had top position on the ground 4 times due to reversals but also did little damage from the top except when he had Silva in serious trouble where he landed a couple power shots in round 2.

Conclusion: If this was a submission wrestling or jiu-jitsu competition Silva would be the winner. Since this is a fight, where damage is the number one criteria, the winner would have to be Hunt. It was a close fight but Hunt deserved it more based on the fact that he did significant damage, while Silva did NO significant damage at all to Hunt.