To All The Replicants

Neckcranku,

You are also correct in your answer....both of you are very close to giving me what I want :-)

You have both giving me DEFINITIONS for closure....I want better than that....call me fickle ...re-read my second post.

Good job so far on the posts...

Tony Torres
Va Beach, VA

Realstudent,

First, thanks for taking interest in the post.

I used the term closure on purpose...and guess what?
What you describe IS ONE WAY of closure.

How do you incorporate that in Replication (BMF) or simulation (Panic Attack/ force on force / scenario) is it the same for both?...what else is closure?

Anyone else ?

Tony Torres
Va Beach, VA

Tony,

With the ballistic micro-fight the players involved must first understand the parameters of the drill. When I work through the BMF process with my students, I go over which particular "segments" of a fight will be incorporated and repeated and as a Coach I know what the "sucker move" is going to be. At the end of the BMF for closure, we discuss the specific elements of the drill to see how each participant felt, this solidifies the theories behind the tactics. Each student must leave the session with closure and as COACHs it is our obligation to make sure of that. A quick de briefing at the end regarding tactics, startle flinch mechanisms, good/bad guy principles, CWCT etc is important.

For a freestyle PANIC ATTACK, the Coach must have some way of communicating to the combatants, that session is over (I prefer a whistle). For example, if the bad guy is being a good bad guy he may not get up from two consecutive hard shots to make the scenerio more real. The good guy might continue to attack, while his partner has stopped. This is where the Coach (safety monitor) must step in to stop the session.

At the end of a session, it is again important to discuss how the players felt and discuss any desireables or less desireables, CWCT's.
The difference with the BMF and a freestyle session in regards to closure, is that there is alot more going on with a freestyle scenario where the players have freedom to play out scenario as they see fit.

It is also crucial to make sure that everyone is OK immediately following the drill.

I hope I understood your first question Tony.

Your teamate,
Robb Finlayson, PDR Coach

Robb,

Excellent response...Thats what I was looking for; a personalized response. How YOU apply closure.

You have explained perfectly how you implement closure as a Coach trainer for education and evaluation.

Now lets get into the Matrix...take the red pill...think three dimensionally...other applications of closure.

Tony Torres
Va Beach, VA

BTW all...

Where are the specific examples??

T.T.

Phil,

The consumate athlete's perspective! Awesome!

Let's do this...substitute the word closure with the phrase "conclusion and follow through"

Anybody want to share some examples with us?

Tony Torres
Va Beach, Va

Tony,

I'd like a go at this from the athlete perspective.

I do BMF's as often as I can. It is the drill, along with replication, most responsible for my composure under stress. There's nothing like looking your 'worst nightmares' in the face over and over again.

Pre Drill: I always have a set goal, either technical or emotional, and try to focus my energy on the experience.

Post Drill: First I analyze what I was thinking during the drill, then what I was feeling, then I analyze what I did. If I'm foggy on the think and feel I go in reverse. I try to video tape myself as often as possible when I'm working through something. It's been an amazing learning tool for me. I find it one of the best ways to see how I REALLY perform.

Then, if there are 'less desireable outcomes' I try to determine if the heart of the problem is lack of skill, lack of will, lack of focus, or some combination. If I have trouble diagnosing or overcoming the problem I go to my Coaches. :-)

So closure, for me as an athlete, is generally a 'work in progress'.

P.

I'm not on the PDR team, Tony, nor do I even play a team member on TV-- so it occurs to me that I may not know what you mean, in PDR terms, by closure.My assumption is closure means your exit strategy (and techniques) from the conflict - but that's an assumption.What do you mean by closure?RealStudent

Ok PDR Team,

How do you incorporate closure into your scenario training and BMF's and what's the difference, give specific examples for standing, groundfighting and weapons.

Tony Torres
Va Beach, VA

Truart,

Hug between training partners...walk around shake it off a bit....some belly breathing...debrief from all parties...coachs and participants...plot attribute drills to enhance perfomance...sometimes a slo mo replay to help with the debrief. This is after conclusion...conclusion would be ready stance...scan and assess the area...first aid...ID witnesses...contact authorities...sometimes we practice actually sprinting away...One I havent incorporated yet that I think would be good is to ask the good guy what he remembers about the bad guy/s.

Thats pretty bone thin,but geneerally representative.
I like this question and the questions it brings up!
Gene

Gene,

Very good!

That's what Im talking about. In a Simulation you want to implement aspects like escaping, getting help, being able to describe suspects, treat any injuries.....

What about being able to explain your actions,sequence of events....would that be important?

Why?

Tony Torres

Va Beach VA