To atheists/agnostics with kids?

Do you introduce religion to your kids.? I am not religious and am an agnostic, but I feel that religion has many great principles in it and gives you a sense of community..

Do any of you guys practice religion despite being agnostic or atheists? What do you tell your children?

My son is 3 and a half, and I haven't told him anything.

I've learned on the OG that religion is inborn, so I'm waiting for him to spontaneously create his own religion.

But so far, nothing. If he has a religion now, it's the worship of steam locomotives.

In order to accept religion you have to reject citical thinking. Teaching your kids not to critically analyse claims is NOT a good thing. Don't say anything about religion. Teach them how to think, how to examine claims and evidence. Let them make their own minds up, do not subject them to indoctrination, its nothing short of child abuse IMO.

I have a 6 year old but have taught him nothing about religion. I have tauht him about Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny though, because that stuff is harmless. Phone Post

BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane - 

In order to accept religion you have to reject citical thinking. Teaching your kids not to critically analyse claims is NOT a good thing. Don't say anything about religion. Teach them how to think, how to examine claims and evidence. Let them make their own minds up, do not subject them to indoctrination, its nothing short of child abuse IMO.

THIS

I have no intentions of introducing religion to my future children. I would briefly explain it unbiasedly to them if they asked though and let them make up their own mind. What do you mean by great principles though? Because you can still raise children with decent morals and ethics without being religious. Phone Post 3.0

Theres a catholic priest near us who runs an after school club for young boys.

He doesnt like girls to attend (bit sexist but what can you say!) and only wants boys under 5 to attend but it seems like a GREAT way to introduce religion to my son.

The priest is apparently very hands on so you know he'll be good! Phone Post 3.0

We pick up religion a little as we go through the comics and talk about half-gods and Gods like Thor, Odin and Diana. Phone Post 3.0

Agreed. Ive made up my mind that if my daughter wants to get into religion later in her life then thats her choice. Im not gonna start shoving that shit down her throat from the get go for no good reason. Of course one set of her grandparents cant wait to take her to church and start filling her head with the weirdness. I cant want to have that talk with them. My parents know better (Catholics) but my wifes parents would be the type to sneak her to church and think they are doing something to better her. Let people find their own way in life IMO.

Palmala Handerson - 

THIS

THIS THIS!!!

Don't worry, my kids will help yours out. Luckily, atheists are not particularly successful breeders.

I teach mine the 10 commandments but instead of a wizard and invisae gods giving them. They are just common sense morals.

My kids are amazing and heading into college with good morals and no judgements of others or religious nuts. They simply don't need it. Phone Post 3.0

Judge Mental - I teach mine the 10 commandments but instead of a wizard and invisae gods giving them. They are just common sense morals.

My kids are amazing and heading into college with good morals and no judgements of others or religious nuts. They simply don't need it. Phone Post 3.0
How do you get around the whole first 5 commandments being totally about god and nothing to do with ethics and behaviour. Seems like a strange guideline to use... Phone Post 3.0

LordSeano - 
Judge Mental - I teach mine the 10 commandments but instead of a wizard and invisae gods giving them. They are just common sense morals.

How do you get around the whole first 5 commandments being totally about god and nothing to do with ethics and behaviour. Seems like a strange guideline to use... Phone Post 3.0

"Don't fornicate!!!! But i really don't care if you own another human being. Just don't fornicate! Oh and don't make any images in the likeness of heaven!!! Rape? That's not so bad either. Oh and don't blaspheme the holy spirit! I can't stand that shit and I will not forgive you of it, ever!!!!"

-God

BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane -

Yes ! This ! Phone Post 3.0

BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane -

This will do Phone Post 3.0

Why not just teach your child morality and ethics without the magic nonsense.

So, if you want to indoctrinate your kids to be just like you by telling them what good morals and ethics are, how do you respond when they ask you why "good" ethics are good? Who sets the standard and why should they allow that person to oppress them?

I'm not quite sure how to handle this either but my child won't partake in any religion for the sake of community. This is something I've noticed many of my friends doing and I can't understand it. You're going to change your belief system just so you can belong? You admit that you don't believe in the stories of the Bible but you'll let someone else tell your children that they're real?

While I'm all for letting my children find their own way, the truth is that it's impossible to be an involved parent and still not offer guidance. When my children ask me about god I'll explain that god is some being that some people believe in. I'm guessing the follow up will be whether or not I believe in god. My answer will sway their beliefs.

sadic1 - So, if you want to indoctrinate your kids to be just like you by telling them what good morals and ethics are, how do you respond when they ask you why "good" ethics are good? Who sets the standard and why should they allow that person to oppress them?
Your kids will teach mine everything they need to know. Right? Phone Post 3.0