To the self employed amongst us...

A few questions...

1) What made you want to work for yourself? 

2) What was your "eurkea moment" when you decided to go it alone?

3) How profitable is your business?

4) And is it something that can be sustained (a trade, for example) and isn't a fad?

I'm at a bit of a crossroads in my life when working for someone else isn't attractive in ANY capacity, whether it's pay, the hours, the job etc. So I'm looking to start something up of my own (what it is, I'm not yet sure. Retail, probably. Vape shop etc).

But would you say it's something to get involved in or would I be better off going back to college and bettering myself and getting a qualification (s)? Physical Theraphy is something I'D LOVE to get involved in, but man is it hard to get into! And in fairness, i just want to earn, not learn.

I've always admired ANYONE who goes it alone and makes it happen, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Since my first paper route, I always had entrepreneurial spirit.

Tried again and again, finally everything came together. I sold bags of popcorn at 6 in school.

By my standards.

Yes.

If you are prepared to work harder, have less free time, and more stress, to bring something you are enduringly passionate about to reality, go for it. If you have any doubt, don't do it.

Vape shop lolz Phone Post 3.0

Sub Phone Post 3.0

I recently branched off on my own and love it. Wouldn't change anything in the world.

OP. ....Def be careful if you are thinking about a vape shop, a buddy of mine was going to the same late last year, and depending on where you live, check out the new new rules, taxes, etc, it might not be worth it at all. Def do your research. Good luck! If you have any questions let me know Phone Post 3.0

I didn't really have a choice, I am autistic but was undiagnosed, which made it essentially impossible to land or keep a normal gig. Post diagnosis that's not as much of a problem, but now having been to the other side, I don't have much interest following someone else's plan at reduced rates. I recently took a corporate gig for the first time ever - just to get out of the house more - & I'm not digging it.

I don't agree with the work harder/less free time/more stress assumption. You get to pick your risks & rewards.

I've been signing the checks for about 14 yrs. My dad always said "owning a business is not for the faint of heart" and he was right.  There are obviously ups and downs, but avoid the trap of creating an job for yourself, as opposed building a business.  If it turns out to be just a job, the additional stress may not be worth it.

Fuck having incompetent bosses Phone Post 3.0

Grew up with my dad owning his own business. Been my goal forever. Still learning the hvac trade but one day Phone Post 3.0

eff the og - Vape shop lolz Phone Post 3.0

You may laugh, but a guy I know has made a decent fortune out of them.

RockstarWestfall - I recently branched off on my own and love it. Wouldn't change anything in the world.

OP. ....Def be careful if you are thinking about a vape shop, a buddy of mine was going to the same late last year, and depending on where you live, check out the new new rules, taxes, etc, it might not be worth it at all. Def do your research. Good luck! If you have any questions let me know Phone Post 3.0

Thank you!

1) How come it didn't work out for him?

2) What do you do?

Who's hiring??? Phone Post 3.0

Started a company by buying up some industrial assets, two factories.  Manufacturing business.

It's kind of cool in that you get to say that you are the boss and the buck stops here, etc. 

Fuck that moment when you have to put the company payroll on a credit card cash advance because a customer screwed you that month.

It has its ups and downs.

I like it, but I also do some other things for money here and there.  

Things I'm not always proud of.....

I set up my own business 13 years ago from scratch. It is quite successful we've won national awards and got 13 employees and approx 120 contractors involved now.
I am a terrible team player and like to be in control. Plus i wanted to build my own business for as long as i can remember. Its runs in my family genes there are business owners all over the family tree, i guess we share a characteristic in our brain that makes us want to do it on our own.

I set up a website that became huge and had thousands of followers and it showed me i could make a change on a big scale if i had a go.

Slightly above industry norm

4) And is it something that can be sustained (a trade, for example) and isn't a fad?
Its not a fad its in a key sector that will never disappear. Phone Post 3.0

Domenico - I set up my own business 13 years ago from scratch. It is quite successful we've won national awards and got 13 employees and approx 120 contractors involved now.
I am a terrible team player and like to be in control. Plus i wanted to build my own business for as long as i can remember. Its runs in my family genes there are business owners all over the family tree, i guess we share a characteristic in our brain that makes us want to do it on our own.

I set up a website that became huge and had thousands of followers and it showed me i could make a change on a big scale if i had a go.

Slightly above industry norm

Its not a fad its in a key sector that will never disappear. Phone Post 3.0

Well done! What is it that you do?

The flexibility in terms of when and where I work. Avoiding life in an office building. Not having a boss.

I was working for a company that moved out of state. I decided to go back to school and started consulting (for the same company). I never looked back.

I make an above average income. I have enough money about twice what I need.

Yes it's a particular skill in a niche of the industry and my services are always needed.

Started a nuisance wildlife control business in '12

Started because I have real problems with authority mostly. Douche statement, I know but it's true. Teachers, cops, bosses, couldn't ever deal with it. The "because I said so" thing makes my fucking skin crawl. My dad owned his own business so I had some tools to start with anyway. The guy that really taught me the ropes ran his business like a fucking idiot. Knew I could do it better so I moved home and started shit out of the back of a Subaru with a good friend

Been at it a couple years now, make an average living, growing a little every year, always turned a profit, but it's been a very slow growth. Definitely sustainable as people have no idea how to rid even the simplest critters.

For me I feel there's really not many options, wildlife can be a tough field to find good work, especially for a hard headed pollack.

It's definitely easier to do your 8 and skate job, but I have a lot of freedom to balance the tremendous responsibility. Phone Post 3.0