Today I’m entering the world of Starlink

Got my Dishy a little bit ago.  I live in an area with 10mbps tops through Centurylink and it’s super inconsistent.  Live in the middle of Missouri. 

2 Likes

I got my dad one for his birthday this year. He lives in a remote area in northern Canada and has never been able to get internet of any kind. This is going to be a gamechanger for him. It should arrive within the next couple weeks. 

DT_MMA -

I got my dad one for his birthday this year. He lives in a remote area in northern Canada and has never been able to get internet of any kind. This is going to be a gamechanger for him. It should arrive within the next couple weeks. 

Awesome.  I can’t wait.  Now all 6 worthless smart TVs and Xbox’s will be used to their fullest capabilities.  haha 

Awesome.

Bless Lord Elon

Is this primarily beneficial to only people in remote areas?  Starlink is $100 for 100 meg download.  I pay AT&T $70 for a gig.

1 Like

I got the link to order the other day. I was bragging to my coworkers about it. I don’t need it yet but if I move out to the sticks it’s a game changer. Most rural isp’s only have 20 down 3 up. It’s crazy expensive too

Soup and Beer -

Is this primarily beneficial to only people in remote areas?  Starlink is $100 for 100 meg download.  I pay AT&T $70 for a gig.

It's for people who live in areas with no or limited internet, where theres no cable/fiber infrastructure, just maybe a phone line at best. A lot of areas rely on shitty dsl, or some kind of junky satellite service, or nothing at all. It's also a gamechanger for off the grid properties. Aside from the reasonably fast speeds, the biggest feature of starlink is its low latency of around 15-20ms.

Elon said it doesnt even work well in dense areas, not that it would make sense for anyone in an urban area to get it anyway given that you can get much faster and cheaper speeds through cable/fiber.

Tulsagasser -

I got the link to order the other day. I was bragging to my coworkers about it. I don’t need it yet but if I move out to the sticks it’s a game changer. Most rural isp’s only have 20 down 3 up. It’s crazy expensive too

If you think most rural ISP offer that kind of DL for any less than $150/month you're in for a rude awakening. 

Tight Butthole -
Tulsagasser -

If you think most rural ISP offer that kind of DL for any less than $150/month you're in for a rude awakening. 

i'm in a rural area, and using a WISP right now. i pay for 20/3, but am excited if i get 12/3. i only pay $50/month unlimited data. it's enough to netfilix on 2 tv's at same time pretty flawlessly. amazon and espn, notot so much.

if i try and stream something live, it buffers endlessly. the fucked up thing, my house is only about 15 miles from a pretty large city. fiber is finally coming in, they've ran it through 1 of my cross streets, but say it will be about 1 year before it come down my street. even then, i might not get it. my street divides 2 counties, and it's the county across the street that's paying to set it up. the company can't tell me if they'll hook up my side, or not.

so, i'm getting starlink. if Elon gets this thing running like he wants, it's going to be a gamechanger, and put a lot of these smaller companys out of business.

Soup and Beer -

I wish I could do that. I'm paying $100 for 50 meg. A gig is over $350 here, and that's only where fiber is offered... which is pretty much nowhere. 

Damn it musk.

half of my dream of moving to a rural area is no internet access. 

I pay 70 for 10.  I was paying 170 for 60 for shitty.  200mbps for 100 a month is a god send where I’m at.  

turducken -
Soup and Beer -

It's for people who live in areas with no or limited internet, where theres no cable/fiber infrastructure, just maybe a phone line at best. A lot of areas rely on shitty dsl, or some kind of junky satellite service, or nothing at all. It's also a gamechanger for off the grid properties. Aside from the reasonably fast speeds, the biggest feature of starlink is its low latency of around 15-20ms.

Elon said it doesnt even work well in dense areas, not that it would make sense for anyone in an urban area to get it anyway given that you can get much faster and cheaper speeds through cable/fiber.

I have the shitty dsl at my remote location. The speed is good enough for two people to stream or zoom... When it's up.

That shit is down about 1/4 of the time.

Wow. I had no idea it was that bad in the Midwest. I get upset when I see 200/40. 

BostonCharm -

Wow. I had no idea it was that bad in the Midwest. I get upset when I see 200/40. 

Yeah man, those are great numbers here.  lol 

1 Like
eubie5 -
Tight Butthole -
Tulsagasser -

i'm in a rural area, and using a WISP right now. i pay for 20/3, but am excited if i get 12/3. i only pay $50/month unlimited data. it's enough to netfilix on 2 tv's at same time pretty flawlessly. amazon and espn, notot so much.

if i try and stream something live, it buffers endlessly. the fucked up thing, my house is only about 15 miles from a pretty large city. fiber is finally coming in, they've ran it through 1 of my cross streets, but say it will be about 1 year before it come down my street. even then, i might not get it. my street divides 2 counties, and it's the county across the street that's paying to set it up. the company can't tell me if they'll hook up my side, or not.

so, i'm getting starlink. if Elon gets this thing running like he wants, it's going to be a gamechanger, and put a lot of these smaller companys out of business.

From what I can find starlink is about 25mb dl on average. Not a whole lot faster for twice as much if that is the case. It's probably a lot better latency wise than what you have though if you're having that kind of trouble streaming live events with 20mb/sec.

I can't imagine how you'd be getting 20mb dl for only 50 a month but sounds like you're a lot closer to a major metro area than I am. I pay 85 a month for 7mb down 2.5mb up for a fixed wireless connection. The only other option I have is dsl thats less than 1mb/sec. I can stream everything fine, besides a a quick buffer on live events. 

BostonCharm -

Depends on where you’re at. I’m in vegas and get 500/10 for 130$. Was paying 72$ in detroit metro area for 500/50. This is a great thing for those in rural areas. 

1 Like
NFABeeJay -

I pay 70 for 10.  I was paying 170 for 60 for shitty.  200mbps for 100 a month is a god send where I’m at.  

If they ever get it up to that speed you can be sure it won't be 100/month. 

Tight Butthole -
Tulsagasser -

That's a pretty broad statement.  I live in a town of 1000 people and pay $80/mo for gig speed.

Aiderbooze -
Tight Butthole -
Tulsagasser -

That's a pretty broad statement.  I live in a town of 1000 people and pay $80/mo for gig speed.

What kind of internet is that? There's nothing close to that where I'm at in Central California.