Today is my first day of law school

And hopefully in a few years I will be an agent for MMA fighters. I'm excited and scared, but happy I can say I'm following my dream. Phone Post 3.0

Congrats.  We definitely need more lawyers in this country...

What do you call 10,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

Good luck man. My first class in law school was Torts, and my professor told me something that stuck with me: the point of law school is not to learn what the law is. That shit changes on the regular. The point of law school is to teach you how to think like a lawyer. To analyze everything. To ask why. To know what your opponent is going to say before they say it. If you can take that away from the next three years, you'll be successful.

e. kaye - 

An old joke?

rufus - 

LOL

iulawmatt - Good luck man. My first class in law school was Torts, and my professor told me something that stuck with me: the point of law school is not to learn what the law is. That shit changes on the regular. The point of law school is to teach you how to think like a lawyer. To analyze everything. To ask why. To know what your opponent is going to say before they say it. If you can take that away from the next three years, you'll be successful.
Thanks for posting that. Great advice that I won't forget. Phone Post 3.0

I don't know how exactly you break in to being an MMA agent, but I can tell you one thing I've learned about being a succesful lawyer:  Who you know is much more important than what you know.  Lots of people are smart enough to learn to do the work a lawyer does, and lots of people can competently operate a business with the kind of margin a lawyer sees.  The difference between succesful lawyer and broke lawyers is very often who you know.  Emotional intelligence, making connections, networking, joining leadership organizations, these are the most important things you can do with your time.  Obviously learn the law and learn to think like a lawyer, but especially with what you want to get into, access is everything and you need to spend all your free time cultivating the relationships you'll rely on to be succesful.  

iulawmatt - 
e. kaye - 

An old joke?

A good start.

Good luck!

It's not too late to turn back. Trust me, this is the biggest mistake of your life.

DON'T DO IT

ceiling_cat - 

I don't know how exactly you break in to being an MMA agent, but I can tell you one thing I've learned about being a succesful lawyer:  Who you know is much more important than what you know.  Lots of people are smart enough to learn to do the work a lawyer does, and lots of people can competently operate a business with the kind of margin a lawyer sees.  The difference between succesful lawyer and broke lawyers is very often who you know.  Emotional intelligence, making connections, networking, joining leadership organizations, these are the most important things you can do with your time.  Obviously learn the law and learn to think like a lawyer, but especially with what you want to get into, access is everything and you need to spend all your free time cultivating the relationships you'll rely on to be succesful.  

This is great advice too. It all starts in law school. Get involved with organizations that will be useful to your career later on down the line (IU Bloomington, where I went to law school, had an Entertainment Law society or something like that). Take internships, unpaid if you have to, to get real world experience. And since what you're doing is highly competitive, don't slack. I'd be willing to bet your school grades on a curve, which means there's always going to be a pack right around that B to B- range. Show them you're better than that. I didn't do that straight off and I got stuck at a lower GPA than I would have liked early on, and you set yourself up to have to dig out of it later on.

rufus -

I couldn't agree more Phone Post 3.0

I die a little inside every time some young whipper snapper full of promise and unlimited potential decides to go to law school. In this day and age, law school is probably the worst investment you can make. Spare yourself a miserable life of debt slavery and underemployment, and just walk away.

I came incredibly close to becoming a lawyer. Had a successful practice ready to be handed to me.

I walked away at the last minute and never looked back

iulawmatt -
ceiling_cat - 

This is great advice too. It all starts in law school. Get involved with organizations that will be useful to your career later on down the line (IU Bloomington, where I went to law school, had an Entertainment Law society or something like that). Take internships, unpaid if you have to, to get real world experience. And since what you're doing is highly competitive, don't slack. I'd be willing to bet your school grades on a curve, which means there's always going to be a pack right around that B to B- range. Show them you're better than that. I didn't do that straight off and I got stuck at a lower GPA than I would have liked early on, and you set yourself up to have to dig out of it later on.
The first year is grade equalization, so if 5 people get As, 5 people have to fail. The class average has to be somewhere around a C. I plan to work my ass off.

My girlfriend is a year ahead of me in law school, and her brother and his girlfriend are 2 years ahead, so I'm hoping we can all help each other someday. Phone Post 3.0

TheHawker - I die a little inside every time some young whipper snapper full of promise and unlimited potential decides to go to law school. In this day and age, law school is probably the worst investment you can make. Spare yourself a miserable life of debt slavery and underemployment, and just walk away.

You need to listen to this advice.  If you aren't 100% sure you are different than the majority of people who become underemployed debt slaves, you'll fail and the consequences will haunt you for the rest of your life.  I discourage literallly 100% of people who ask me if they should be lawyers.  Everyone discouraged me too.  If you can't take a lifetime of discouragment and negativity about your profession, and still know you're different and you'll suceed, you've already failed.  

ceiling_cat - 
TheHawker - I die a little inside every time some young whipper snapper full of promise and unlimited potential decides to go to law school. In this day and age, law school is probably the worst investment you can make. Spare yourself a miserable life of debt slavery and underemployment, and just walk away.

You need to listen to this advice.  If you aren't 100% sure you are different than the majority of people who become underemployed debt slaves, you'll fail and the consequences will haunt you for the rest of your life.  I discourage literallly 100% of people who ask me if they should be lawyers.  Everyone discouraged me too.  If you can't take a lifetime of discouragment and negativity about your profession, and still know you're different and you'll suceed, you've already failed.  

Even Big Law is downsizing. When you graduate, you won't just be competing with other grads for the tiny number of jobs out there, you'll also be competing with experienced lawyers.

Wanna go into business for yourself instead? Without cutting your teeth working for someone else, you are guaranteed to fail.

Read this:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/113941/big-law-firms-trouble-when-money-dries#

The odds of becoming a successful, high-paid lawyer are about on par with showing up to Hollywood and becoming the next Brad Pitt.

Congrats, I'm not going to talk you out of it. I only have one piece of advice for you. Make sure you only take out federal loans!