Today show NHB story..

Maybe the promoter wanted this sort of attention. Considering that the poster has "banned in the USA" and No Holds Barred written all over it and not one little Shooto symbol anywhere. Its the same marketing philosophy used for the early UFC. Make it look violent and controversial and lots of people will come to check it out. You will have sold out shows full of meatheads and make a sum quick cash. However you face the same risks and potential problems as the UFC did. You will end up being hasseled by the authorities constantly and maybe even get the sport banned.

As I said when the poster came out, the sport has progressed from those days and so should the marketing. It should be billed as the ultimate display of athletic ability. Two warriors entering the ring 2 see who is the most skilled and afterwards excepting their win/loss and shaking hands. Their is very rarely bad blood between 2 fighters and neither wants 2 badly hurt the other guy they just want to test their ability and get the W. Look at sports like NFL and Rugby, its rough but people admire the skills of the players and therefore watch it with their young kids etc. They don't think the players are trying 2 hurt eachother just win the game by any means within the rules, same goes for MMA and

We need 2 educate the public so they understand whats going on and can see this 2. Not bill it as sum pit fight between 2 meatheads in some kind of death match. Just look at how big MMA is in Japan where people admire the fighters skills as compared to the US where its still has that "2 men enter 1 guy leaves" stigma attached 2 it.

None of this bad press and irresponsible journalism would have occurred if the promoters had only used the word "SHOOTO" on their posters and promotional material.
Once again The King has made me see the light with his foresight and wisdom.
I thank you Elvis for highlighting the flaws in my infantile extrapolations.

Paul Dallow.

Can someone please define "sanctioned".... Justin,... anybody,..... Beuller,.. Beuller,... Fry!

I have an understanding of the term just would like someone explain how a MMA fight can be sanctioned.

"None of this bad press and irresponsible journalism would have occurred if the promoters had only used the word "SHOOTO" on their posters and promotional material."

Quite so Paul, but I reckon most people new to MMA/NHB would give 'SHOOTO' the good old 'what thah??'

I did for a long time til I bothered to look it up.

I think jo blo public would have a hard time thinking NHB/MMA was non-violent due to the pics used and general 'feel' of the advertising needed to entice punters to go along.

I personally love the blood'n'guts arrangement, unfortunately I'm not the one holding the aces.

Here's a revalation: It's a combat sport, it IS violent.

That's not to say it's not safe, but you can't deny the fact that it's not violent.

On another note, didn't the promoter in question here have something to do with getting the sport approved in Vic ?

I thought that was mentioned when the first Melbourne show was put on.

Any one know ?

Tank

Re sacnctioning.....

Various states have various forms of legislature and various governing bodies for combat sports.

I know in NSW the Boxing and wrestling control act (from memmory) is the legislature that governs all sports contested in a ring.

Victoria also has a sanctioning body that had to pass MMA as a permissable sport.

I do know that John was very thorough in his handling of this matter and went to great lengths and professionalism to have the sport permitted in that state.

JUstin

Good email Pulsar. I have to agree with cadmus re the boxing comparison though.

Regards

Gerald.

Any feedback from the Today Show on the email?

"None of this bad press and irresponsible journalism would have occurred if the promoters had only used the word "SHOOTO" on their posters and promotional material. Once again The King has made me see the light with his foresight and wisdom. I thank you Elvis for highlighting the flaws in my infantile extrapolations."

Your desire to grow and learn is admirable. If only more people were like you.

I don't think just using the term SHOOTO would have removed any bad publicity. But I also think that by not having the "banned" remarks means it can't come back and bite us on the butt.

Elvis