Tom DeBlass on King Mo, UFC/Bellator, Garry v Kron

OpenMatRadio

http://www.openmatradio.com/?p=2022

This week we welcome back Tom DeBlass to OMR. Tom is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu based mixed martial artist fighting for Bellator. We discuss his upcoming fight with King Mo on the Nov 15 Bellator card. Outside of MMA Tom is a successful grappler. We discuss his very controversial match with the legend that is Rodrigo “Comprido” Medeiros at the most recent IBJJF NoGI Mundials. We discuss how a rematch between his student Garry Tonon and Kron Gracie might go and whether Tom would like to see that happen on the tatami or in a cage! We had to discuss what the upcoming Renzo Gracie and Kazushi Sakuraba match means to Tom and the Renzo Gracie/Ricardo Almeida Association. Finally, Tom gives some great advice to anyone looking to improve their training, how to become a better training partner and much much more. For more about Tom please check out http://www.oceancountybjj.com/and our first show with Tom http://www.openmatradio.com/?p=1805

As always thanks to our friends at http://onthemat.com/where you can save 20% by using code OMR20 at checkout.

Shout out to our friends at Jiu Jitsu Style Magazine http://www.bjjstyle.com

Check out [URL="http://www.polaris-pro.org/"]http://www.polaris-pro.org/[/URL]to learn how you can watch one of the best Professional Jiu Jitsu events in the near future!

If you’d like to support OMR while getting some amazing instructional material please visit our friends at ArteChokeMedia at http://artechokemedia.com/omr

You guys are the best. Phone Post 3.0

This podcast sucked! Sounds like Tom kept giving excuses to why he lost to Barnett, Comprido, etc. He insults Comprido by saying that he himself couldn't win that way but begins with him complaining about the "shorts" Comprido wore for the match! His comments about Mo Lawal are a joke! Tom discusses his reasons for not wanting to fight in the UFC. A bunch of bull shit. We have UFC fighters in our gym and they have yet to fight outside of USA. His remark about Gary submitting Kron! LOL!!!! Gary is a stud but nowhere near the level of Kron! I laugh at the remark from Paul regarding the difference between a fighter and a martial artist. Paul proceeds to downgrade wrestling as if wrestlers overreact when they win. Paul you obviously do not know wrestling. Most, and I mean about 95% of ALL wrestlers have the mentality that when they win, "THEY ACT LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN THERE!" It sounded like the female interviewer knew much more about wrestling than Paul when she said "heavy hands". Which I am sure Paul knows nothing about! We have a saying in wrestling Tom: Never leave it up to the ref! And you obviously did! Good luck in your fight with former Oklahoma State wrestler Mo Lawal because you are going to need it!

handfightingfan - This podcast sucked! Sounds like Tom kept giving excuses to why he lost to Barnett, Comprido, etc. He insults Comprido by saying that he himself couldn't win that way but begins with him complaining about the "shorts" Comprido wore for the match! His comments about Mo Lawal are a joke! Tom discusses his reasons for not wanting to fight in the UFC. A bunch of bull shit. We have UFC fighters in our gym and they have yet to fight outside of USA. His remark about Gary submitting Kron! LOL!!!! Gary is a stud but nowhere near the level of Kron! I laugh at the remark from Paul regarding the difference between a fighter and a martial artist. Paul proceeds to downgrade wrestling as if wrestlers overreact when they win. Paul you obviously do not know wrestling. Most, and I mean about 95% of ALL wrestlers have the mentality that when they win, "THEY ACT LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN THERE!" It sounded like the female interviewer knew much more about wrestling than Paul when she said "heavy hands". Which I am sure Paul knows nothing about! We have a saying in wrestling Tom: Never leave it up to the ref! And you obviously did! Good luck in your fight with former Oklahoma State wrestler Mo Lawal because you are going to need it!
Wow, did I mess around with your girlfriend or something years ago? Geeze. First negative comment I heard about this podcast yet. You need a hug or something. Phone Post 3.0

Tom I apologize if I came off as a prick. You are a well known bjj fighter. I just hate to see someone of your caliber give reasons about their losses. In the few losses you have your opponents got their arms raised. May be different next time you meet up with them.

handfightingfan - Tom I apologize if I came off as a prick. You are a well known bjj fighter. I just hate to see someone of your caliber give reasons about their losses. In the few losses you have your opponents got their arms raised. May be different next time you meet up with them.
I really appreciate you coming back here and being nicer. Maybe you misunderstood man. I wasn't making excuses, if you see the match with comprido and I the ref clearly doesn't give me points and restarts me in a terrible position. I made the comment about his shorts because IBJJF is really strict, and are known to disqaulity people if their dress code isn't matched. When compridos wasn't, they asked me if I had extra shorts for him. Just weird. And regarding Barnett, he's a huge tough monster! Phone Post 3.0

handfightingfan - This podcast sucked! Sounds like Tom kept giving excuses to why he lost to Barnett, Comprido, etc. He insults Comprido by saying that he himself couldn't win that way but begins with him complaining about the "shorts" Comprido wore for the match! His comments about Mo Lawal are a joke! Tom discusses his reasons for not wanting to fight in the UFC. A bunch of bull shit. We have UFC fighters in our gym and they have yet to fight outside of USA. His remark about Gary submitting Kron! LOL!!!! Gary is a stud but nowhere near the level of Kron! I laugh at the remark from Paul regarding the difference between a fighter and a martial artist. Paul proceeds to downgrade wrestling as if wrestlers overreact when they win. Paul you obviously do not know wrestling. Most, and I mean about 95% of ALL wrestlers have the mentality that when they win, "THEY ACT LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN THERE!" It sounded like the female interviewer knew much more about wrestling than Paul when she said "heavy hands". Which I am sure Paul knows nothing about! We have a saying in wrestling Tom: Never leave it up to the ref! And you obviously did! Good luck in your fight with former Oklahoma State wrestler Mo Lawal because you are going to need it!

I appreciate the comments but not your tone. I'm not trying to get in some online battle here as that does nothing for anyone. Your tone in your first post is why a lot of fighters don't bother posting on forums anymore.

Tom gave an accurate account of his match with Comprido. The issues involved unequal treatment from the IBJJF. This is not the first time that has happened. It's why people like Bill Cooper, Rader, Ryan Hall and many others won't even bother with the IBJJF anymore. I brought the questions up to Tom and he answered them. I didn't think he made "excuses" but rather explained what happened. Had he not made any comment people like you might claim he's skirting questions. Comprido is down for a rematch as well. I'm hoping Metamoris steps up and puts the match on. For sure there are fans of both men that want to see it without the constraints of the IBJJF.

As far as the UFC issue, I have had tons of friends fight outside the country for the UFC and lose money doing so. So, that's a real issue.

Regarding Garry vs Kron, did you see their match at ADCC? I think Garry came closer to finishing Kron than anyone in that tournament. Kron won in the last few seconds but I believe Garry was up on points at the time. Garry didn't have a coach there either. Tom trains Garry so I think he has more of a valid opinion on Garry's skill level than you do.

My opinion on there being a difference in attitude between "fighters" and "Martial artists" is my opinion. One that I stand by. Not all fighters are wrestlers either. I am not trying to "downgrade" wrestling at all. A lot of my time in interviews with Rader and Mark Dickman(who I sponsor) was about wrestling and the mentality that comes along with it. In my opinion wrestlers, on average, do emphasize different things than pure jiu jitsu players. I'm not a wrestler and OMR is not a wrestling podcast. I'd suggest you check out Take it Uneasy with Lex. He has lots of wrestlers and judoka on. You might enjoy his show more than OMR.

So thanks for the feedback and change in tone after Tom posted. If your goal is to imapct how the show is created I'm happy to hear your opinions. If you just want to talk shit, well that doesn't really help anyone.

Tom, good on you for responding. I wouldn't have blamed you if you didn't take the time to post.

Inside BJJ podcast.

handfightingfan - Inside BJJ podcast.
What's your point? Tim and the crew are awesome. I'm always down to support them and any other podcast down to support the community. Phone Post 3.0

Open Mat Radio - 
What's your point? Tim and the crew are awesome. I'm always down to support them and any other podcast down to support the community. Phone Post 3.0

Oh I know they are awesome! My point is you can learn a thing or three from listening to their podcast to help you improve yours.

Open Mat Radio is one of the most highly regarded podcasts in our sport. Paul does an amazing job and truly truly loves Jiu-Jitsu. Paul, I hope to come back on when Metamoris hopefully sets me up with Comprido. Phone Post 3.0

handfightingfan -
Open Mat Radio - 

Oh I know they are awesome! My point is you can learn a thing or three from listening to their podcast to help you improve yours.
We occupy different spaces in the scene. I always say that if InsideBJJ is Howard Stern then OpenMatRadio is Charlie Rose. We were just talking about collaborating on a show. Not sure if you're trying to push some rivalry that doesn't exist.

It's great there are so many podcasts now. You clearly aren't a fan of mine, which is fine by me. Check out Take it Uneasy, Verbal Tapcast or Just the Gi Top. Phone Post 3.0

TomDeBlass - Open Mat Radio is one of the most highly regarded podcasts in our sport. Paul does an amazing job and truly truly loves Jiu-Jitsu. Paul, I hope to come back on when Metamoris hopefully sets me up with Comprido. Phone Post 3.0
Thanks Tom! Always happy to have you on the show. Thanks again for the support. Hope to catch you at M5 if you're making the trip with Garry. Phone Post 3.0

iVaporize - Kron vs Gary in MMA would be awesome... Kron by armbar again!
When did Kron arm bar Garry? Lol Phone Post 3.0