too good

got this off another forum, enjoy

Anti-MMA article in "Black Belt"

Posted: 0 minutes ago Member Since: 1/1/01

This month's black belt magazine focuses on MMA but, in it, Bill Wallace -- who was the commentator in UFC 1 -- writes an article in which he states his dislike for MMA and predicts its demise.

This is, of course, paraphrased but he says that MMA fighters are unskilled and aren't tough. As evidence he states that boxers punch each other for 12 rounds but MMA fights end with only a few blows. He insinuates that a skilled Karate fighter could beat most MMA fighters because of their striking skills. Showing his ignorance and bias for only traditional karate, he also states that, by watching MMA fighters' punching and kicking, he and most karateka can tell that MMA fighters don't train at all!

I don't want to go on, other than to say Bill Wallace is an ass. He got canned by UFC because he was so terrible, didn't know any of the techniques the fighters were using and got all their names wrong in his commentary. Likewise, in the late 80s and early 90s he got canned from commenting pro-kickboxing because he didn't know about the rule changes and thought kicking below the waist was illegal and a "sissy" way of fighting. He was stunned when Muay Thai trained fighters would routinely destroy karate kickboxers using leg kicks. He didn't want to believe such techniques had any effect on a fighter.

Check out the article, and you'll see what I mean. It's in this month's Black Belt.

i miss seeing strong tma guys compete though. compete and lose maybe, but compete none-the-less.

hybrid fighters are getting boring to me.

From reading your summary, how else does one get high level TMA arse-kickers into doing some damage in the MMA world?

I can imagine the many, who have not competed even in Wallace's level, who are gonna be all pumped up about the article and cheer...but still not compete. I no believe! It doesn't help either way.

FCTV got it right though, compete outside of the comfort zone. Take on the "unskilled", get paid and get practically free publicity.

" i miss seeing strong tma guys compete though. compete and lose maybe, but compete none-the-less.

hybrid fighters are getting boring to me."

Me too! I loved the old UFCs style v. style. Nowadays everybody does/trains pretty much the same thing.....boring. rather watch Judo.

^^exactly what i mean. i don't even care too much about big names as long as it's style vs style--those are the matches that i tend to get psyched for.

I just like to watch the "lethal weapons" throw deadly windmill punches when put under pressure.

windmill kung fu is a true tma.