Too many THANKS in boxing..

Just watched the Pacquiao Mayweather press conference and noticed an enormous amount of random unknown people thanking each other for something that should have happened 5 years ago.

Who are ALL these promoters that were required to make this fight happen? Why do they make it sound like they did the impossible? These dudes are competitors, no?

I'm excited for this overdue last hora in boxing but it makes me appreciate MMA/UFC so much more.

Monopoly or not, we've seen countless super fights and top contenders settle who is the better fighter.

MMA doesn't need 300 promoters to make a fight happen, when it should have happen naturally. We're spoiled with MMA because of the UFC, and I dig it.

Pacquiao takes this fight 5 years ago, sadly now, I think Floyd scores another decision.

dhughes - 
ShootProod - Just watched the Pacquiao Mayweather press conference and noticed an enormous amount of random unknown people thanking each other for something that should have happened 5 years ago.

Who are ALL these promoters that were required to make this fight happen? Why do they make it sound like they did the impossible? These dudes are competitors, no?

I'm excited for this overdue last hora in boxing but it makes me appreciate MMA/UFC so much more.

Monopoly or not, we've seen countless super fights and top contenders settle who is the better fighter.

MMA doesn't need 300 promoters to make a fight happen, when it should have happen naturally. We're spoiled with MMA because of the UFC, and I dig it.

Pacquiao takes this fight 5 years ago, sadly now, I think Floyd scores another decision.

Well you are not wrong in a sense but of course it is easier when a single company owns most all of the top fighters.

True Story.. So an MMA-monopoly is good for the sport?

Nothing competes with other major sports pro leagues. Football players dream to play in the NFL, Hockey players seek the NHL etc etc etc.

If Viacom ramps up, hopefully it doesn't mean less fights that should happen.

ChXck VS Wandy should have happened 3 years earlier.

UFC doesnt make the super fights happen even when they have all the guys under one roof and when they dont there is no chance of them ever happening as after they became the top dog they refuse to work with anyone.  Before they were top dog they were happy to work with PRIDE and K-1, see Chuck being allowed in PRIDE GP and Royce fighting Hughes.

EckY -

UFC doesnt make the super fights happen even when they have all the guys under one roof and when they dont there is no chance of them ever happening as after they became the top dog they refuse to work with anyone.  Before they were top dog they were happy to work with PRIDE and K-1, see Chuck being allowed in PRIDE GP and Royce fighting Hughes.

But this isn't a superfight in the conventional sense of the word. They've been the best two guys at 145-150 for years and years. It's a natural match-up that should have happened two or three times by now. Phone Post 3.0

ShootProod - 
dhughes - 
ShootProod - Just watched the Pacquiao Mayweather press conference and noticed an enormous amount of random unknown people thanking each other for something that should have happened 5 years ago.

Well you are not wrong in a sense but of course it is easier when a single company owns most all of the top fighters.

Nothing competes with other major sports pro leagues. Football players dream to play in the NFL, Hockey players seek the NHL etc etc etc.

Chack Wand was epic.

The UFC is just as bad. Wasn't Chuck vs Wand 5 years too late? Fight promoters want to make every last possible dollar they can off of a dominant champion before having the champions face each other and possibly jeopardize one of their drawing power. This is why the true super fights usually only happen after one or both parties involved have suffered defeats. In the UFC, there has only been 1 true super fight, and that was at UFC 94, St. Pierre vs Penn 2, where both fighters were not only dominant champions, but both were considered to be head and shoulders above their peers, and numbers 2 and 3 respectively, pound for pound. Yes, the Mayweather\Pacquiao fight should have happened 5 years ago, but then again, Georges St. Pierre vs Anderson Silva should have as well. Phone Post 3.0

The Power Double - 
EckY -

But this isn't a superfight in the conventional sense of the word. They've been the best two guys at 145-150 for years and years. It's a natural match-up that should have happened two or three times by now. Phone Post 3.0

2 best guys with different promoters.  Same as Chuck vs Wand or Fedor vs UFC Champ.

EKPOGI -
ShootProod - 
dhughes - 

Chack Wand was epic.
In fairness to the UFC they sent Chuck to Pride to fight Wand but Rampage got in his way. They also had Wand come into the octagon to hype a fight with Chuck but it was just Pride selling wolf tickets Phone Post 3.0

ShootProod - Just watched the Pacquiao Mayweather press conference and noticed an enormous amount of random unknown people thanking each other for something that should have happened 5 years ago.

It doesn't need 300 promoters to make a fight happen? Really, how many did it take to make Silva vs gsp? Jones vs Silva? Phone Post 3.0

EckY -
The Power Double - 
EckY -

2 best guys with different promoters.  Same as Chuck vs Wand or Fedor vs UFC Champ.

Fair point. Freakin promoters shouldn't matter so much in boxing though. I guess that's one of the pros to having a giant like the UFC in the sport Phone Post 3.0