"Too sore to train 3 times a week"

I hear this from a lot of guys, even higher belts. When I do hear it, I can't help but think "it's cause you chose an unsustainable game".

Usually their game requires
1. Explosiveness
2. Speed
3. Inversion
4. Weak open guard Phone Post 3.0

I think if you really want to progress and improve your game that you need to train AT LEAST 3 times a week. If you physically are unable to train that often you probably need to alter your style to accommodate your level of athleticism. Phone Post 3.0

A better excuse would be 'i have other thing to do like work and family' Phone Post 3.0

Elaborate on "weak open guard" please Phone Post 3.0

Akston - Elaborate on "weak open guard" please Phone Post 3.0
Or are you just saying their open guard game isn't developed Phone Post 3.0

Akston -
Yup. So they get in a ton more scrambles Phone Post 3.0

I too would like to hear more about #4.

I guess I would have thought that an ineffective closed guard would cause more scrambles than an under-developed open guard......

I'm a 43 year old brown belt so I relate to the idea of someone not recovering because their game can't be maintained over time, but I guess I thought I mitigated it best by having effective closed and half guards.

I'd like to hear more about this since you have a breadth of experience in two high end academies.

checkuroil -
Akston -
Yup. So they get in a ton more scrambles Phone Post 3.0
OK figured but wasn't sure Phone Post 3.0

In half and closed guards you have to hold peoples weight on you. With open guards you can control your opponent without bearing their weight Phone Post 3.0

I always shake my head at the guys who cannot roll for more than 2 rounds because their game is entirely based on old-man strength and stubbornness. If you are a purple or higher, you should be able to flow for 30 minutes without too much trouble.

What do you consider an "inversion" based game? How is that an unsustainable game?

liquidrob - What do you consider an "inversion" based game? How is that an unsustainable game?
Using inversion to retain guard.

It's unsustainable because you will eventually bulge a disc Phone Post 3.0

checkuroil - 
liquidrob - What do you consider an "inversion" based game? How is that an unsustainable game?

This. I know an older BB that was always going inverted. Now? never because of back issues.

checkuroil - 

Probably not, guys who invert generally know how to keep someone's weight off them, they are usually more flexible, not as rigid, flow more and understand movement better, plus probably have a better open guard game

I doubt those guys are taking rounds off and can't train "3 times a week" because they are sore, that's more of a competition game and those guys like to train

I agree with the sentiment, but as someone whose training has gone from averaging 10-12 classes/wk up to 3-5 classes/wk after the birth of my son, the combination of sleepless nights and work obligations will wear you out no matter what - sometimes I just show up to the gym a zombie and go through the motions. I definitely notice more soreness associated with training due to lack of sleep.

I still want to train twice a day everyday, but balancing family and work requires some compromise...eventually my son will be big enough to get on the mat and then it's game on again!

liquidrob -
checkuroil - 

Probably not, guys who invert generally know how to keep someone's weight off them, they are usually more flexible, not as rigid, flow more and understand movement better, plus probably have a better open guard game

I doubt those guys are taking rounds off and can't train "3 times a week" because they are sore, that's more of a competition game and those guys like to train
I personally know two top tier black belts who had to leave competitions for over a year due to inversion created disc issues.

It only takes one error and you're done Phone Post 3.0

I think all of them are lame ass excuses.

Sure, you can cause disc issues by inverting, but I am willing to bet closed guard and half guard players have there problems specific to there guards as well.

People who dont invert use the sore excuse as well.

Its a combat sport(since you specifically brought up competitions) and even past that, its a martial art.

Soreness is par for the course if your gonna get involved with jiu jitsu.

Its not an unsustainable game, its whiny bitching plain and simple.

I have yet to see someone training 3 or more days a week hard, that isnt sore, regardless of game.

Because again, its a martial art/combat sport where we are forcibly putting each other in positions anything but condusive to not being sore.

None of the things you have mentioned are unsustainable past a weak open guard. Thats plenty sustainable, just dont show up at least 3 times a week.

Im sure you know plenty of people who are injured, I know I do, and I can only chalk that up to getting involved in a sport/martial art where your constantly pressure testing your game.

Deal with the injuries, deal with the soreness, and quit it with the pussy mentality.

I have a wife and kid, and am the sole provider and oh, i dont have health insurance.

6 days a week, and I am sore most of the time, or something is tweaked, or something or other that isnt a fun time, happy, feeling.

If your gonna bitch about soreness for any reason, martial arts probably arent the path for you.

Take up a board game or something.

that sounds like an excuse. I am 33, back problems, overweight and I train 5 days a week very often. 

heck I find the best way to deal with sore muscles is just to get back on the mat

checkuroil - 
liquidrob -
checkuroil - 

I personally know two top tier black belts who had to leave competitions for over a year due to inversion created disc issues.

It only takes one error and you're done Phone Post 3.0

Agreed. Lots of things can hurt you in BJJ, but with inverting you're taking a risk with THE most vulvnerable and unstable part of your spine. Long term, the odds of it turning around to bite you --no matter how good you are-- are just too high.

Kyoki - I think all of them are lame ass excuses.

Sure, you can cause disc issues by inverting, but I am willing to bet closed guard and half guard players have there problems specific to there guards as well.

People who dont invert use the sore excuse as well.

Its a combat sport(since you specifically brought up competitions) and even past that, its a martial art.

Soreness is par for the course if your gonna get involved with jiu jitsu.

Its not an unsustainable game, its whiny bitching plain and simple.

I have yet to see someone training 3 or more days a week hard, that isnt sore, regardless of game.

Because again, its a martial art/combat sport where we are forcibly putting each other in positions anything but condusive to not being sore.

None of the things you have mentioned are unsustainable past a weak open guard. Thats plenty sustainable, just dont show up at least 3 times a week.

Im sure you know plenty of people who are injured, I know I do, and I can only chalk that up to getting involved in a sport/martial art where your constantly pressure testing your game.

Deal with the injuries, deal with the soreness, and quit it with the pussy mentality.

I have a wife and kid, and am the sole provider and oh, i dont have health insurance.

6 days a week, and I am sore most of the time, or something is tweaked, or something or other that isnt a fun time, happy, feeling.

If your gonna bitch about soreness for any reason, martial arts probably arent the path for you.

Take up a board game or something.

Just curious -- what are your goals? why are you doing jiu jitsu?