"Too sore to train 3 times a week"

Inverting definitely seems to be a young man's game. I don't see a lot of guys in the 35+ crowd doing it. I'm 33 and I'll try it once in a while but I don't like the pressure it puts on my back and neck so I generally avoid it.

When I was a white belt I had difficulties training 5 - 6 days a week, but I just seemed to get over it. I feel your body needs some time to adapt to it, it will be exhausting at first. Phone Post 3.0

OH SNAP!! Kyoki just put you punk-ass b!tches on blast! Y'all need to back up out this thread, yo.

Dude got sore once and trained anyways --he did not give a f@ck!

So f@ck you and your back surgery, slipped disc, torn ligament,  or whatever else it is you pusswad cry-babies whine about.

Kyoki ain't got time for that sh!t, he's gettin' hiz gRAPpLEz on like a straight up warrior.

RESPECT!

misterw - 
Kyoki - I think all of them are lame ass excuses.

Sure, you can cause disc issues by inverting, but I am willing to bet closed guard and half guard players have there problems specific to there guards as well.

People who dont invert use the sore excuse as well.

Its a combat sport(since you specifically brought up competitions) and even past that, its a martial art.

Soreness is par for the course if your gonna get involved with jiu jitsu.

Its not an unsustainable game, its whiny bitching plain and simple.

I have yet to see someone training 3 or more days a week hard, that isnt sore, regardless of game.

Because again, its a martial art/combat sport where we are forcibly putting each other in positions anything but condusive to not being sore.

None of the things you have mentioned are unsustainable past a weak open guard. Thats plenty sustainable, just dont show up at least 3 times a week.

Im sure you know plenty of people who are injured, I know I do, and I can only chalk that up to getting involved in a sport/martial art where your constantly pressure testing your game.

Deal with the injuries, deal with the soreness, and quit it with the pussy mentality.

I have a wife and kid, and am the sole provider and oh, i dont have health insurance.

6 days a week, and I am sore most of the time, or something is tweaked, or something or other that isnt a fun time, happy, feeling.

If your gonna bitch about soreness for any reason, martial arts probably arent the path for you.

Take up a board game or something.

Just curious -- what are your goals? why are you doing jiu jitsu?

Its fucking fun, thats why.

I think martial arts are awesome, and have been doing them for 15 years, which I realize, isnt long for some, but hey,its been long enough to get a couple of injuries, and know that complaining about being sore, regardless of reason makes doesnt make you any better at it.

As for inverting past 35, and it being a young mans game... I am 35+ and think age is another excuse that gets tossed around a ton.

Im older, im sore, im injured in some way or another all the time.

So guess what im going to do?

Get ready for class.

The young man's game thing is just an observation I've made over the last several years as inversion has come en vogue. Speaking personally, it is not comfortable for me and I generally avoid it. If you're 35+ and can do it comfortably, cool.

train today in a way that you are able to train tomorrow, simple as that

this will mean something different for everyone, but the key to longevity in the sport is avoiding injury. adapt your game to avoid injury

I'm 40, I berimbolo, kiss of the dragon, etc...I think the key is just don't invert to just invert, that's where guys get smashed

If you control the distance, push away, etc...first before the "invert" you are safe IMO, inverted when they are on top pressuring isn't the way to go

I see guys play closed guard and get stacked on there neck, that is much worse

Just read the threads here, many old school closed guard, half guard, etc...players are all jacked up with bad backs, Rickson doesnt even roll hardly anymore from injuries, he is supposed to be the technical bjj master who flow with the go

Kyoki - 
misterw - 
Kyoki - I think all of them are lame ass excuses.

Sure, you can cause disc issues by inverting, but I am willing to bet closed guard and half guard players have there problems specific to there guards as well.

People who dont invert use the sore excuse as well.

Its a combat sport(since you specifically brought up competitions) and even past that, its a martial art.

Soreness is par for the course if your gonna get involved with jiu jitsu.

Its not an unsustainable game, its whiny bitching plain and simple.

I have yet to see someone training 3 or more days a week hard, that isnt sore, regardless of game.

Because again, its a martial art/combat sport where we are forcibly putting each other in positions anything but condusive to not being sore.

None of the things you have mentioned are unsustainable past a weak open guard. Thats plenty sustainable, just dont show up at least 3 times a week.

Im sure you know plenty of people who are injured, I know I do, and I can only chalk that up to getting involved in a sport/martial art where your constantly pressure testing your game.

Deal with the injuries, deal with the soreness, and quit it with the pussy mentality.

I have a wife and kid, and am the sole provider and oh, i dont have health insurance.

6 days a week, and I am sore most of the time, or something is tweaked, or something or other that isnt a fun time, happy, feeling.

If your gonna bitch about soreness for any reason, martial arts probably arent the path for you.

Take up a board game or something.

Just curious -- what are your goals? why are you doing jiu jitsu?

Its fucking fun, thats why.

I think martial arts are awesome, and have been doing them for 15 years, which I realize, isnt long for some, but hey,its been long enough to get a couple of injuries, and know that complaining about being sore, regardless of reason makes doesnt make you any better at it.

As for inverting past 35, and it being a young mans game... I am 35+ and think age is another excuse that gets tossed around a ton.

Im older, im sore, im injured in some way or another all the time.

So guess what im going to do?

Get ready for class.

God amongst men this one; while we are being little whiny bitches, this manly man is taking his injuries like a champ all while being the sole provider for his family with no health insurance. An exemplary example.

Sarcasm noted.

Ill assume that was all you could offer because perhaps I was making too much sense and so you had to fall back to B.S. ?

Still, im not the one talking about being too sore to train 3 times a week.

Still, all I hear here lately is why people cant do this or that.

Age, family, injury.

Are these new concepts?

I could think of a million reasons not to train as well.

I could be all sympathetic about the various reasons one has not to train, or, I could be less sympathetic and more realistic.

Lol, and now the "unsustainable game" is another reason.

Except as mentioned, a lot of old school guys are injured, weird how all that self defense training seems to make you less able to defend yourself.

maybe the guy is sore.on the other hand maybe it's his diet,his work that cause the problem

Kyoki - Sarcasm noted.

Ill assume that was all you could offer because perhaps I was making too much sense and so you had to fall back to B.S. ?

Age, family, injury.

Are these new concepts?

I could be all sympathetic about the various reasons one has not to train, or, I could be less sympathetic and more realistic.

Except as mentioned, a lot of old school guys are injured, weird how all that self defense training seems to make you less able to defend yourself.

and you have 20 yrs on the mat?

You can hurt your vertebrae in many positions. If you want to make sure you don't hurt your neck just stay home.

Kyoki - Sarcasm noted.

Age, family, injury.

Are these new concepts?

You are obviously very inexperienced Phone Post 3.0

"I have a wife and kid, and am the sole provider and oh, i dont have health insurance."

You should quit jiu-jitsu and use that money to buy health insurance, for the sake of your family.

meatballcheeze - "I have a wife and kid, and am the sole provider and oh, i dont have health insurance."

You should quit jiu-jitsu and use that money to buy health insurance, for the sake of your family.

BAH....thats for pussys!

JUS GO TRANE!

Sgt. Slaphead - 
meatballcheeze - "I have a wife and kid, and am the sole provider and oh, i dont have health insurance."

BAH....thats for pussys!

JUS GO TRANE!

Wow, now I respect the brazillians wi their multiple girlfriend having, party all night escapades and still traine five days a week?!

On a serious note, training partners got a lot to do with your game and how often and hard you can train.  Ask sarge, some of our training partners are straight outta some science fiction movie, big, strong, heavy freaks of nature. Closed guard, open guard, it don't matter.  You will be sore.

I came up skateboarding in my youth, now I have some years into bjj. I used to think exactly like Kyoki and other people. I was sore, I gutted it out and fucking trained, all these people complaining about injuries, just excuses, they weren't as mentally strong as me.

....Then I suffered a real injury. No not a hurt wrist, a cranked arm, a sore neck. I tore my ACL and never was able to skateboard the same. Got into BJJ and was able to adapt my game, for about 3 years I never had any serious injury and trained my ass off 5 times a week including wrestling. Never got the part timers or people who claimed injuries.

...Then I blew a disc in my neck and have been struggling to keep training 3 times a week or more for the last year and a bit. I have adapted my training, but these are realities that people who have been LUCKY to never been seriously injured and will never understand. I dont even fucking know how I blew the disc in my neck, over a period of months my pinker finger area of my hand started going numb, then it got to the point where I was bed ridden for 2 months and couldn't work. It wasnt like I played inverted guard every day and got slammed or any one act, I dont even play inverted or anything crazy, it just happened over time and now it is what it is.

This thread is sort of funny. Not sure if intentional. Phone Post 3.0

U know what was the best display of old timers and inversion. The master and seniors worlds. Barely a berimbolo or upside down game was seen. Sure there might have been 1 or 2, but the high percentage was bread and butter jiu jitsu, at a high level due to the limited time matches
I think kioki is wrong btw Phone Post 3.0

Seriously, this guy sounds like a selfish twat that really shouldn't have got married and have kids.

Work all day... BJJ all night. When do you spend time with your wife and child? Unless your child is older and your wife trains with you?

I would LOVE to be training 5-6 times a week, and I'd easily recover if I could be sleeping 8 hours a night with a good diet...

Sadly, life doesn't allow for it. Family is far more important (to me) than a hobby. Glad you have found such passion, i'm sure we will see you on the podium at the world pro absolute blackbelts soon with that level of dedication.

To the OP: you are right... People who use the EXCUSE of being too sore to train... Pussies.