"Too sore to train 3 times a week"

Medusas Weave - 
checkuroil - In half and closed guards you have to hold peoples weight on you. With open guards you can control your opponent without bearing their weight Phone Post 3.0

Wow, are you BJJ Scout? Such detailed breakdown.

yeah, Roger Gracie (closed guard), Kron (closed guard), and Lucas Leite (HG) are just getting crushed by peoples weight on them.

You're an idiot.

Is granby roll considered an inversion? While I gladly stay away from berimbolo in exchange of longivity in BJJ, I pretty much need granby type of movements to maintain guard. Any thoughts?

I tend to think it's really important to practice inversions. I'd even recommend playing some inversion games with players of a similar size in order to get used to movement, but I'd never make them "my game." The games teach you how to protect your neck when you get in bad spots, but a mistake here and there, particularly with a larger opponent, can result in long standing injuries. That's fire I don't want to play with.

In my 40s...around 145 lbs...I do my best to stay super technical and control my pace...but the reality is that rolling with big guys takes its toll. I've learned over the years that if I exceed 3-4 classes a week, my body just doesn't have the time to recover and lingering injuries get worse or new ones pop up. I know young kids or genetic wunderkinds may not get it, but keeping this pace allows me to stay on the mat consistently, hopefully for years to come. Phone Post 3.0

mkou - 
Medusas Weave -
checkuroil - In half and closed guards you have to hold peoples weight on you. With open guards you can control your opponent without bearing their weight Phone Post 3.0

yeah, Roger Gracie (closed guard), Kron (closed guard), and Lucas Leite (HG) are just getting crushed by peoples weight on them.
Just like Miyaos and Ryan Hall invert like crazy without any known neck problems, so I guess everyone can do it! Phone Post 3.0

To be perfectly honest I doubt the Miyaos will be all that healthy when they hit 35.

myates -
mkou - 
Medusas Weave -

Just like Miyaos and Ryan Hall invert like crazy without any known neck problems, so I guess everyone can do it! Phone Post 3.0

To be perfectly honest I doubt the Miyaos will be all that healthy when they hit 35.
Well they're professional combat sport athletes, chances are they're not. Phone Post 3.0

I'm at the gym everyday but I don't roll everyday. You have to be smart about your training. You can train everyday if you pace yourself Phone Post 3.0

Kyoki - I think all of them are lame ass excuses.

Sure, you can cause disc issues by inverting, but I am willing to bet closed guard and half guard players have there problems specific to there guards as well.

People who dont invert use the sore excuse as well.

Its a combat sport(since you specifically brought up competitions) and even past that, its a martial art.

Soreness is par for the course if your gonna get involved with jiu jitsu.

Its not an unsustainable game, its whiny bitching plain and simple.

I have yet to see someone training 3 or more days a week hard, that isnt sore, regardless of game.

Because again, its a martial art/combat sport where we are forcibly putting each other in positions anything but condusive to not being sore.

None of the things you have mentioned are unsustainable past a weak open guard. Thats plenty sustainable, just dont show up at least 3 times a week.

Im sure you know plenty of people who are injured, I know I do, and I can only chalk that up to getting involved in a sport/martial art where your constantly pressure testing your game.

Deal with the injuries, deal with the soreness, and quit it with the pussy mentality.

I have a wife and kid, and am the sole provider and oh, i dont have health insurance.

6 days a week, and I am sore most of the time, or something is tweaked, or something or other that isnt a fun time, happy, feeling.

If your gonna bitch about soreness for any reason, martial arts probably arent the path for you.

Take up a board game or something.

If you're the sole provider and you get seriously injured without health insurance, it means not only will your wife and kid not have a source of income for your time off, but will also have to scramble in order to pay outrageous medical bills.  I commend you for being tough and loving what you're doing...but given that you're doing a dangerous sport for funsies, shouldn't you try to rearrange some finances so that they're protected if/when it bites you in the ass a bit?