"Top 10 " Etiquette/Rules Poster for Gym ideas?

Kying, those are great. Phone Post 3.0

I nearly always miss the warm up just because it's a rush to get there after work.

. Phone Post

Good ideas (from some, lol) and timely for me as I'm looking to put up a new poster like this as well. I guess the specifics depend mostly upon the culture you want at the school.

It would be awesome to use these :-)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bu-b8SMLpUs/Ufbr3TzxCvI/AAAAAAAAF2w/wrosOhZ9jbY/s640/Gross+BJJ.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0_S4aBUh7xM/Ufrh2J4J7II/AAAAAAAAF3I/SNTbKap9atU/s640/10+more+gross+things.jpg

brendan raedy - 

Winning a roll is not more important than your training partner's health.

This.

You get better every time you show up to class.

Jiu Jitsu is one of the few things in life that can't be taken away from you.

Do not meet power with power. (got this from Star Wars: clone wars.)

Matter of fact, there's a lot of stuff in Star Wars.. The principles of Jedi Knights apply to those who practice Jiu Jitsu.

Sir Taps - A friend of mine popped into Marcelo's in NYC a few years ago and said they had a sign up that said something like "we are a team, therefore we all do the same warm up, we all do the same drills, the same techniques etc". I really liked that, as I hate it when students think they're too good to join in the warm up with everyone else, or decide to train something different from the rest of the class. Being injured and unable to perform certain exercises or techniques is one thing, but to just decide to do something else because you feel like it wrong.

James
I like this Phone Post 3.0

brendan raedy -

Winning a roll is not more important than your training partner's health.

Excellent! Such a common occurrence seeing low belts desperate to get that tap even if it's against a child, a girl or much smaller opponent. Phone Post 3.0

If you have any unwritten rules at your gym(don't ask higher belts/black belts to roll, banned submissions etc) you should probably write them out.

Marcelo's guidelines look good. We have a couple blue belts that stroll into class 20 min late then stretch and tape their fingers on the side while looking bored before blessing the class with their presence. I stretch them out every chance I get. They use terms like "jits" and "hella" in everyday conversation, I'm sure of it

Matthew Godden -
Sir Taps - A friend of mine popped into Marcelo's in NYC a few years ago and said they had a sign up that said something like "we are a team, therefore we all do the same warm up, we all do the same drills, the same techniques etc". I really liked that, as I hate it when students think they're too good to join in the warm up with everyone else, or decide to train something different from the rest of the class. Being injured and unable to perform certain exercises or techniques is one thing, but to just decide to do something else because you feel like it wrong.

James

I love this!

So many of those guys around! Phone Post 3.0

I have been doing jiu jitsu on and off for the ladt three years. One thing I dont understand is asking higher belts to roll. I get white shouldnt ask a black belt to roll but what about say white asking a blue or blue asking a brown?

To me it just seems like lost opportunities to learn some cool moves or experience great timing etc.

Thoughts? Phone Post 3.0

. Phone Post 3.0

I do not mind when a lower belt wants to workout and learn. I get aggravated, however, when a lower ranking guy wants to spar solely to break my arm or choke me especially after I have been sparring for 20 minutes while they have been saving up all of their energy to try and look good in front of the class. I know who the wannabe tough guys are and I just tell them no if I don't feel like sparring with them. If a guy is getting stupid and overly aggressive while I am simply flowing with him, I will politely tell him to take it easy and work with me. If he persists in being a prick, I will not hurt him physically but simply embarrass him and take advantage of every situation where I would normally stop him and show him what to do if was being cool. When you tap a guy 20 times in 5-10 minutes they get the picture. Normally with beginners, I won't sink in the submission but simply let them know that they are giving me opportunities when they break position or try attacks when they are in an inferior position where they should first try to improve their position and not try to submit me when I am mounted on them or have a dominant side control for instance.

Tboney8669 - Lower belts should not ask higher belts to roll Phone Post 3.0
I'm not a fan of this one myself. I don't see the harm. Phone Post 3.0

RIPLEY - I do not mind when a lower belt wants to workout and learn. I get aggravated, however, when a lower ranking guy wants to spar solely to break my arm or choke me especially after I have been sparring for 20 minutes while they have been saving up all of their energy to try and look good in front of the class. I know who the wannabe tough guys are and I just tell them no if I don't feel like sparring with them. If a guy is getting stupid and overly aggressive while I am simply flowing with him, I will politely tell him to take it easy and work with me. If he persists in being a prick, I will not hurt him physically but simply embarrass him and take advantage of every situation where I would normally stop him and show him what to do if was being cool. When you tap a guy 20 times in 5-10 minutes they get the picture. Normally with beginners, I won't sink in the submission but simply let them know that they are giving me opportunities when they break position or try attacks when they are in an inferior position where they should first try to improve their position and not try to submit me when I am mounted on them or have a dominant side control for instance.

I can relate. The other thing about lower belts asking higher belts to roll is that the less experienced guys have 1-5 years on the mat and often haven't learned to train for longevity. Yeah you can train "like a beast" early in your career, but eventually you will see the knee injuries, the back pain, the shoulder issues and realize that you want to be doing this well into your 30s, 40s, and 50s. Rolling like it's the UFC championship day in and day out will not help you realize that goal. Training smart is a necessity and it isn't something that a lot of the lower belts have learned yet despite being told repeatedly to slow down.

LordSeano - Lick your finger and stick it in someones ear. Its pretty much one of the most high percentage submissions you can do in junior school along with Chinese Burns Phone Post 3.0

Also no "third hook" when taking the back.

armbarseverywhere - 

You get better every time you show up to class.

Jiu Jitsu is one of the few things in life that can't be taken away from you.

Do not meet power with power. (got this from Star Wars: clone wars.)

Matter of fact, there's a lot of stuff in Star Wars.. The principles of Jedi Knights apply to those who practice Jiu Jitsu.

You should see Ronn Shiraki's website.  He's definitely a Jedi.

Another great thread, all gym owners should read this!