Top 5 compound exercises that really work in life

Top 5 compound exercises that work in everyday life and real functional training all around? Phone Post 3.0

Deadlift Phone Post 3.0

Deadlift
Squat
Bench
Weighted pull up
Press Phone Post 3.0

As above, maybe dips over press

How does the bent over, barbell row compare to the pull up?  Which targets more muscle groups?

shark tank -

How does the bent over, barbell row compare to the pull up?  Which targets more muscle groups?

I would say both are pretty damn good.  If I HAD to pick only one I would pick pull ups, but I personally alternate between the two when doing back work.

I would also like to add loaded carries to that list.  Like Farmers walks with really heavy weight specifically. Puts a load on your entire body and you have to walk with it.

Hurtsogood -
shark tank -

I would say both are pretty damn good.  If I HAD to pick only one I would pick pull ups, but I personally alternate between the two when doing back work.

I would also like to add loaded carries to that list.  Like Farmers walks with really heavy weight specifically. Puts a load on your entire body and you have to walk with it.

Why do you alternate? Why not both?

1 Like

Animal Mother -
Hurtsogood -
shark tank -

I do both, just on different days.  That's what I meant by alternate.  So lets say I Benched one day, I might do pull ups that day  as well.  Then a couple days later I would overhead press and do rows that day.  That's what I'm refering to.

A push, a pull, a squat, a deadlift. Progressively heavier weights and mix up the exercises to keep it interesting is a reasonably good basis Phone Post 3.0

shark tank - 

Unless you are really good at pullups, rows will give you a much better bang for your buck. Better for brute strength and for muscle building.

GARRA - Deadlift
Squat
Bench
Weighted pull up
Press Phone Post 3.0

I would substitute snatch for bench (you don't really need 2 pressing exercises)

The snatch is a full body movement and it is explosive so it will help you stay athletic.

surf2live -
GARRA - Deadlift
Squat
Bench
Weighted pull up
Press Phone Post 3.0

I would substitute snatch for bench (you don't really need 2 pressing exercises)

The snatch is a full body movement and it is explosive so it will help you stay athletic.

A power clean would make more sense than a snatch simply because you can use more weight while accomplishing a similar goal. 

Hurtsogood -
surf2live -
GARRA - Deadlift
Squat
Bench
Weighted pull up
Press Phone Post 3.0

A power clean would make more sense than a snatch simply because you can use more weight while accomplishing a similar goal. 

I would be ok with that too. Snatches are just more fun to do though lol

surf2live -
Hurtsogood -
surf2live -
GARRA - Deadlift
Squat
Bench
Weighted pull up
Press Phone Post 3.0

I would be ok with that too. Snatches are just more fun to do though lol

I could see that.  I think the technical skill level needed for cleans, especially power cleans in particular is quite a bit lower, though. So assuming the person who will be doing them doesn't have a background in olympic weightlifting, a similar yet less technically demanding movement probably makes the most sense.

1 Like

Dan John goes to great lengths to explain why he thinks the fundamental lifts that every beginner needs to be taught are:

- hinge
- squat
- press
- pull
- weighted carry

With the hinge being any hip dominant exercise (like a deadlift), any version of squat, any major upper body press, any major upper body pull, and any major weighted carry (his preferred option seems to be farmer's walk). And i tend to agree with him. Get strong in 1 lift from each category and i'd say you're in a better place strength wise than 95% of the population.

2 Likes

The following 5 movement patterns are key for my folks: (Examples in  perenthesis)

Deadlift variant: (Trap-Bar DL / Clean Deadlift & Shrug)

Horzontal Push variant: (Push-up / Floor Bench Press)

Horizontal Pull variant: (Recline Pull / Heavy Rowing movement)

Vertical Push variant: (OH Press / Pike or Handstand Push-up)

Vertical Pull variant: (Chin-ups or neutral grip Pull-ups / Supinated or nuetral grip Pull-down)

TAKU

Taku -

The following 5 movement patterns are key for my folks: (Examples in  perenthesis)

Deadlift variant: (Trap-Bar DL / Clean Deadlift & Shrug)

Horzontal Push variant: (Push-up / Floor Bench Press)

Horizontal Pull variant: (Recline Pull / Heavy Rowing movement)

Vertical Push variant: (OH Press / Pike or Handstand Push-up)

Vertical Pull variant: (Chin-ups or neutral grip Pull-ups / Supinated or nuetral grip Pull-down)

TAKU

All in the same workout?

Taku- do you prefer deadlifts over squats?

srld,

Yes, you can do all of those in the same workout. Depends on your program design goals.For me, program design means creating an overall plan of action as to what should be done.Yet the procedures implemented allow for the indidvidual athletes needs, goals, abilites, limitations, and preferences (psychology)

nick1302,

Yes, I do prefer DL variations to classic squat variations. These days I don't have people doing too much back squatting unless they are Power Lifters or O-Lifters. I prefer heavy DL variants supplemented with various other single leg squats & lunges, as well as Goblet Squats, Zercher Squats etc. I also like heavy leg press and single-leg Leg press. I have access to very high-end Leg Press machines so I use them quite a bit.

TAKU

1 Like

Hurtsogood -
Animal Mother -
Hurtsogood -
shark tank -

I do both, just on different days.  That's what I meant by alternate.  So lets say I Benched one day, I might do pull ups that day  as well.  Then a couple days later I would overhead press and do rows that day.  That's what I'm refering to.

I don't even remember writing that. I was drunk. My bad.