Top Half-Guard Attacks

Top Half-Guard attacks (two chokes and a back take)!

Hey everyone!

We are excited to share two great chokes from the top half-guard position. These two chokes (cross choke and brabo choke) use the lapel of your opponent. When your opponent blocks the chokes, we show you how to use the same lapel grip to take the back and attack the bow and arrow choke!

Drill these a lot, you will be surprising your training partners and opponents in no time!
These positions are must-haves for beginners and advanced Jiu-Jitsu players alike!

Good training!
Eric Burdo
BJJ Black Belt
Richmond BJJ Academy
BJJ Revolution Team

www.RichmondBJJ.com
www.BJJRevolution.com

gotta give u some props. i was ho-hum with the first 2 techs as they are fairly common, but i really liked that last backtake, the whole setup and straight to finish.

it is true, u can learn something everyday

walbjj - gotta give u some props. i was ho-hum with the first 2 techs as they are fairly common, but i really liked that last backtake, the whole setup and straight to finish.

it is true, u can learn something everyday

Ha ha, thanks! Glad you liked it. Honestly, the chokes were just a buildup to the back take, I wanted to give the technique some context.
I personally use this series a lot, it is very high percentage for me.
Good training to you!
Eric

Good stuff. For top half guard I prefer the kimura as my first line of attack though. But that's another game. Phone Post 3.0

love these chokes from guard first time seeing the back take... nice trying to convert it to guard play in my head now. Have you tried it from guard? or is there too much room for him to move and free himself?

biggator - love these chokes from guard first time seeing the back take... nice trying to convert it to guard play in my head now. Have you tried it from guard? or is there too much room for him to move and free himself?

Yes! I actually learned this back take from the guard first, a few years ago! I then realized that the entire series was also available from the top half-guard position, and use the series in both spots successfully! The back take is amazing from the guard, one of my favorite options!
-Eric

Awesome back take and choke . Thanks for posting . I use those first 2 often but now I'm going to work that last one .

joemasepoos - Awesome back take and choke . Thanks for posting . I use those first 2 often but now I'm going to work that last one .

Thanks! Glad you liked the techniques!

TTT Phone Post

In! Phone Post 3.0

good stuff, thanks

Excellent transitions from half guard, thanks.I like the take your back transition.

judoblackbelt - Excellent transitions from half guard, thanks.I like the take your back transition.

Awesome, glad you like it!

For later Phone Post 3.0

Eric Burdo - 
biggator - love these chokes from guard first time seeing the back take... nice trying to convert it to guard play in my head now. Have you tried it from guard? or is there too much room for him to move and free himself?

Yes! I actually learned this back take from the guard first, a few years ago! I then realized that the entire series was also available from the top half-guard position, and use the series in both spots successfully! The back take is amazing from the guard, one of my favorite options!
-Eric

sweet VTFU thanks cant wait to try it.

love you guys vids keep up the good work

good stuff...

I love those set ups... I always pull his lapel out of his belt and shove it towards his arm pit when I'm trying for the underhook. This especially saves you if you haven't settled into a 1/2 yet and maybe still threatening a knee cut through pass, but didn't get the far side underhook.

On the brabo I have a preference for cupping his elbow and pulling it up and around, rather than just pulling the arm across. Just feels stronger.

biggator - 
Eric Burdo - 

-Eric

sweet VTFU thanks cant wait to try it.

love you guys vids keep up the good work

Awesome, thanks for the kind words. We love doing the videos!

mrgoodarmbar - good stuff...

I love those set ups... I always pull his lapel out of his belt and shove it towards his arm pit when I'm trying for the underhook. This especially saves you if you haven't settled into a 1/2 yet and maybe still threatening a knee cut through pass, but didn't get the far side underhook.

On the brabo I have a preference for cupping his elbow and pulling it up and around, rather than just pulling the arm across. Just feels stronger.

Agreed on both points. Feeding the lapel early is always smart and proactive. I also sometimes cup the elbow on the bravo, but usually try for the sleeve first.
Thanks for the feedback!

Sub Phone Post 3.0