Top Muay Thai in U.S. ?

Saekson Janjira in Dallas

Matee Jetapak is up in Walled Lake MI, I think.

WizzleTeatsv2 - Unfortunately for SBB, that beer was chock full of roofies.

Fortunately for most of us, when WizzleTeats uses roofies, it makes him too drowsy to rape us.

Anyway, Sityodtong is great, but Boston isn't much of a college town.

Kru Phil Nurse

Which gyms have produced the top fighters? Lumpinee champions etc.. ?

Bull_in_chinashop -  Which gyms have produced the top fighters? Lumpinee champions etc.. ?

Such a thing isn't really common in the US.  You aren't exactly a Muay Thai hot bed in case you haven't noticed.

matee is up michigan i think

It's hard moving and trying to find a replacement training club when you're use to the one your at.... I feel dedicated to the club im at... Good thing the internet has the training and fight videos you want to hold you over! A goo d site I found for fight videos is http://fighttube.tv Awsome place to check out some good fight vids!
As for the college part.... sorry man not my area??? lol

Bull_in_chinashop -  Which gyms have produced the top fighters? Lumpinee champions etc.. ?

As someone has said, this isnt very common. An American gym producing an Lumpinee champion is like a Thai baseball league producing a Cy Young winning pitcher.

* I think I can name at least one or two, but I don't think I've seen them mentioned..  that's point. - "What criteria were you basing the "best muay thai schools" on? IMHO it's about fighters and records, champions etc..

ex. Clearly Sityodtong Boston is an excellent place for MMA striking and Mark D. has done a great job, but I don't know anything about muay thai champions he's produced. Any current title holders? what organizations? Any international champs? Any pro fighters? Lumpinee etc...

*Edit I mistakenly meant fighters who have won at Lumpinn stadium, not Lumpinee champions. there is of course a difference.

There have been exactly "zero" Lumpinee champions produced by a U.S. based gym.

The only country aside from Thailand that holds this distinction is France(1 time). For Rajadamnern, the only other country is Japan(3 times).

ok so no Lumpinee champs.  but certainly there have been US fighters who have fought in Lumpinee and won.  Where do they train? Are there gyms who consistently put people of this caliber out?

Sityodtong in Pasadena is the most slept on MT gym i can think of. Kru Walter is brilliant and a joy to train under.

There have been US fighters that have fought and won at Lumpinee and Rajadamnern. The thing is, those guys were all training in Thailand at the time. I can't think of anyone who wasn't in Thailand for at least a few weeks before fighting in one of the big 2.

I know there are more people than this, but, for example, Wayne Gregory won at Lumpinee, Bryce Kraus at Rajadamnern, Mark Dellagrotte at Rajadamnern, Neil Chatchaiyan(I think thats his last name) at Lumpini, I can't remember his name, but Duke Roufus had a guy that had his pro-Debut at Rajadamnern....

Bryan72 - There have been US fighters that have fought and won at Lumpinee and Rajadamnern. The thing is, those guys were all training in Thailand at the time. I can't think of anyone who wasn't in Thailand for at least a few weeks before fighting in one of the big 2.

Are you saying that those two weeks in Thailand make mediocre fighters superb? ie. That the training at their home camp (probably 95% of their entire training) means little to their sucess in the ring compared to those 2 weeks?  I'd sincerely like to hear your rationale for that opinion.

btw: had no idea that Dellagrotte competed at such a high level. nice! To me credentials like that are what this thread should be about: fighting at a high level, major titles, producing multiple champs etc..

No, I'm not saying that their home camp training is lacking or was unimportant in their development. Not at all. What I'm saying is that, I think most who've put some time in over there will agree, is your game changes immensely. And often in a fairly short amount of time.

What I'm trying to get at is that those guys I mentioned, are all from a different US Based gym.

The one thing they all have in common, before their Thailand fight, was an extended training duration in Thailand. Ask Ray Elbe if the time spent at a Thai ran camp, ran by guys who know HOW to win a fight there, is beneficial.

One other thing, and this is not meant as a slight on anyone, but just as information, just because a guy is fighting at Lumpinee or Rajadamnern doesn't mean they are fighting at the highest level.

Kru Walt has fought and won as the main event in Pattaya Stadium.

Bryan those were cool stats on France and Japan. I had no idea about those....are they for all the weight divisions?!?!

Hey Ray

The only non-Thai Lumpini Champ was Mourad Sari, he won the 140 lbs. title in I think 1999. For the Japanese, Fujiwara was Rajadamnern Lightweight Champ in the early 1970's, a fighter named Ogasawara won the Rajadamnern 154lbs Title and Kozo Takeda won the 147 lbs. Title, both in 2000, IIRC.

Muay thai history from PopeDaddy...like the word of God.