Top prospect that you never bought the hype for?

Through the years have there been any fighters that got tons of hype that you didn't agree with? 

One for me is Ortega.  I thought his ceiling was pretty low given his poor wrestling and non elite striking. I also worried because a lot of his wins were comeback finishes he obtained through capitalizing on brief windows of opportunity. 

1 Like

Chris Weidman 

2 Likes

Anthony Pettis. All the hype around him dominating LW for years but I always thought there were too many wreslters/grapplers in the division that were bad matchups for him.

5 Likes

O Malley. I called chito owning him. Also askren. I called that shit since he poked that guy in the eye back in Strikeforce. He was way overblown and I told Cre every step of the way

7 Likes

I never though Erick Silva would get nowhere near the belt.

4 Likes

Sage training at Tristar 

3 Likes

Conor.  Lost so fucking much money betting against that guy.  If I take out just his "losses", I come out positive overall.

The crazy thing is I still fucking bet against the guy.  My brain keeps going back and looking at his obvious skill as "he just got lucky".

One of my biggest bets (top 3) was picking Floyd over Conor... can't remember the exact details but it was a prop bet, something like "Floyd inside of 9", might have been 10.  I remember watching it live... completely delighted for Conor, but again fucking flabbergasted at what I was watching.  It looked to me like Conor was walking away with it until the stoppage. 

I won the money but fuck betting on Conor fights anymore.  I'm out.

3 Likes

None of them, I can see with my own eyes.

Too many people rely on the ufc marketing machine to tell them who is good and when that fighter doesn't live up to the hype, everyone will say he's shit and overrated. I don't think that's fair to the fighter because they lose so much stock after a loss because everyone expects too much from them.

1 Like

John Hathaway

3 Likes

Theres a new hype train every week. I though O'Malley would get mauled by some grapplers....but I had him beating Chito as a lock, to be honest

2 Likes
Joshinho -

None of them, I can see with my own eyes.

Too many people rely on the ufc marketing machine to tell them who is good and when that fighter doesn't live up to the hype, everyone will say he's shit and overrated. I don't think that's fair to the fighter because they lose so much stock after a loss because everyone expects too much from them.

You've always been right about every prospect. Lol. Impressive. 

1 Like

Gotta be Conor. I always thought he was kind of slow.

Not actual slow of course but the speed of guys like Aldo or Mendes is different

2 Likes
Jouska -

I never though Erick Silva would get nowhere near the belt.

this one for me, he lacked heart and we could see that from the beginning

T?bikan J?dan - 

Through the years have there been any fighters that got tons of hype that you didn't agree with? 

One for me is Ortega.  I thought his ceiling was pretty low given his poor wrestling and non elite striking. I also worried because a lot of his wins were comeback finishes he obtained through capitalizing on brief windows of opportunity. 

Ortega’s striking was good enough to KO Edgar.

1 Like
Ministry of Truth -
T?bikan J?dan - 

Ortega’s striking was good enough to KO Edgar.

This is true. But it was also bad enough for Holloway to fix his hand position in the middle of a round 

I also didn't buy Adesanya's hype early on. I think i was a doubter until he KOed Brunson 

jgiveshead -

Conor.  Lost so fucking much money betting against that guy.  If I take out just his "losses", I come out positive overall.

The crazy thing is I still fucking bet against the guy.  My brain keeps going back and looking at his obvious skill as "he just got lucky".

One of my biggest bets (top 3) was picking Floyd over Conor... can't remember the exact details but it was a prop bet, something like "Floyd inside of 9", might have been 10.  I remember watching it live... completely delighted for Conor, but again fucking flabbergasted at what I was watching.  It looked to me like Conor was walking away with it until the stoppage. 

I won the money but fuck betting on Conor fights anymore.  I'm out.

You thought Conor was “walking away” with the Floyd fight?

Jesus.

2 Likes

Yair. Don't get me wrong, I love watching him fight but he's just way too wild to be a champion or title contender.

1 Like

Outside of UFC but - Michael Venom Page

2 Likes

David Terrell, once i saw Evan Tanner bully him i new he was one of those guys that is great at giving beatings but can't take one

1 Like