Torn Labrum and Rotator cuff rehab

Just had my shoulder scoped 3 weeks ago.  Still in a sling but doing a bit of stretching and the pendlum swinging at the moment and some range of motion is beginning to come back.  I have a follow up on the 24th of this month and the sling will come off.  I'm supposed to start moving it around at that point but no resistance training until the 3rd month.

I'm looking for things that worked well and things to avoid from people who have gone through the same thing.  I just listend to Dan Strauss talk on his recent podcast with Dickie Martin about his labrum surgery.  His PT had him lifting weights quite early but he only had the labrum done and I don't think my case is the same since they had to anchor my rotator cuff back to the bone.

As a side note, I tried all the PT stuff for almost 6 months trying to allow the shoulder to heal on its own, but the pain was just getting worse so the Ortho recommended surgery.

I had a handle on a rope that i fed thrkugh an eye bolt overhead, slowly pulled my arm up with other hand to increase RoM.

What happened to your shoulder? I just had my first ever shoulder dislocation while wrestling about 4 weeks ago. The next day I started small movement patterns (mainly wrist and elbow circles). Kept it in a sling on and off for a week but I've had to return to work quickly so I've just been paying attention to posture and shoulder position. Just teaching jiu jitsu classes right now and doing all the PT stuff like bands and isometrics in hope that I will never need surgery and hopefully can compete in JJ again soon. 

There is a thread on here with loads of details. My labrum repair recovery was very quick (not the norm).
My lumbar discectomy is taking fucking ages. 6 months in and just back rolling with little guys

Focus on getting your range of motion back.

End-range isometric holds in all directions

1. Overhead (flexion)
  2. Americana position (shoulder external rotation)
  3. Kimura position (shoulder internal rotation)

Make sure your shoulder blade moves well to help maximize your range of motion.

Don't think you have to do more in terms of new exercises. This might be boring but this will work to help regain your mobility.

It sucks bro hope you get better

I have a slap in my left shoulder and a rotator/bicep tear in right. Dr highly suggested surgery on both but of course I'm too stupid to do it. I've been doing pt for past 4 months on one shoulder and actually rolled with my son and a good friend today for the first time since February. I'm still warm so I hope I'm not in pain when I u cool down

Neal Zumbro -

What happened to your shoulder? I just had my first ever shoulder dislocation while wrestling about 4 weeks ago. The next day I started small movement patterns (mainly wrist and elbow circles). Kept it in a sling on and off for a week but I've had to return to work quickly so I've just been paying attention to posture and shoulder position. Just teaching jiu jitsu classes right now and doing all the PT stuff like bands and isometrics in hope that I will never need surgery and hopefully can compete in JJ again soon. 

Wear and tear. There wasn't one incident that injured it. one day i was stretching my chest after lifting and the shoulder started hurtingg after that. tried I, T, Y back PT stuff as well as rotator cuff resistance bands but the pain kept getting worse.   i was rolling with my arm in my belt for a month and then just bit the bullet and had it repaired.

Buy this book on Amazon Shoulder Pain? The Solution & Prevention by John M. Kirsch, MD.

Easy read. Basically, hang from a pull up bar and do some exercises listed in his book.

Joe Rogan is a big proponent of the hanging from the pull-up bar solution. I imagine that it works well for some types of injuries not for others, but I don't know.

Another good read is the shoulder rehab document by the United States canoe and kayak association. Shoulder injuries are very common in that sport, and so they really understand the rehab component of it. I have a link to the PDF document here on my website: http://www.grapplearts.com/shoulder-rehab-for-grapplers/

Sorry to hear about your injury and good luck with the rehab

Blehhh I can feel my left shoulder is torn again. I assume the labrum. I had the surgery and fixed two tears in it like 5 or 6 years ago. Hurts when I sleep on it, but otherwise it is just a weakness, it is really slow to lift my arm and I can't press the same weight as my right arm. Trying to make it through the summer before I get it operated on although I'll probably have it at least arthrogrammed first.

Wait until your doctor says for you to start doing anything. After surgery you don't want to do too much too quick.

I've had it in both shoulders. After PT, I would HIGHLY recommend myofascial release (I recommend this after any surgery.) It has helped me tremendously.

Stephan Kesting -

Joe Rogan is a big proponent of the hanging from the pull-up bar solution. I imagine that it works well for some types of injuries not for others, but I don't know.

Another good read is the shoulder rehab document by the United States canoe and kayak association. Shoulder injuries are very common in that sport, and so they really understand the rehab component of it. I have a link to the PDF document here on my website: http://www.grapplearts.com/shoulder-rehab-for-grapplers/

Sorry to hear about your injury and good luck with the rehab

Thanks, Stephan.  I will read this over.

At this point, I'm trying to just do the pendulum and a bit of stretching that the Dr. told me to do.  

Changing a diaper with one arm is proving more difficult than a roll with my instrucor. I've heard this surgery was bad, but it is worse than I anticipated.