Torn Rib Cartilage

I have torn a rib cartilage on my bottom right side rib. I got this from rolling in BJJ class. a guy posted his hand right on my lower rib cage.

any help on how to treat this or get back on the mat faster?

Is this going to be re-occurring?

Have you guys had this before and what did you do? How long does this take to heal!!!

Just real frustrating!! Thanks!

it sucks but it takes a while to heal any rib injury.  pretty much gotta sit out for awhile.

but you CANNOT rush coming back.  if you aggravate rib injuries to the point they are recurring you will really regret it. 

How long did you sit out before going back?

yes!!! it sucks. just let it heal

Is it easy to re-aggrivate after the injured rib healed? Sounds like you have had this happen to you before. Thanks..

ThePatriot - yes!!! it sucks. just let it heal
+1

It's not one of those injuries you push through.  If you don't let it heal right it could become recurring. 

heyyou - Is it easy to re-aggrivate after the injured rib healed? Sounds like you have had this happen to you before. Thanks..

i did not but i do know for a fact that it is easier to hurt it if you have not given yourself enough time to heal.

i let myself sit out for over a month i think 

ajl416az - 
heyyou - Is it easy to re-aggrivate after the injured rib healed? Sounds like you have had this happen to you before. Thanks..

i did not but i do know for a fact that it is easier to hurt it if you have not given yourself enough time to heal.
i let myself sit out for over a month i think 

That sucks. I hurt it a while ago in wrestling practice, I heard a pop. I just started taking BJJ and the same thing happened!

I am just worried that this may be recurring and will stop me from doing BJJ..

Had it twice. Very painful, and slow to heal unfortunately. Do not push recovery - push rest.

Had this happen to me and it took about 6 months for it to heal right...I've rolled and trained more than ever since recovery and it hasn't given me any problems at all...best thing you can do is let it heal properly.I remember hearing a pop and then ignoring it and about a minute later i felt it rip...hurt like hell!

THE CACTUS KID - Had this happen to me and it took about 6 months for it to heal right...I've rolled and trained more than ever since recovery and it hasn't given me any problems at all...best thing you can do is let it heal properly.I remember hearing a pop and then ignoring it and about a minute later i felt it rip...hurt like hell!

It still hurts, been about a week. How long before you started drilling again?

heyyou - 
THE CACTUS KID - Had this happen to me and it took about 6 months for it to heal right...I've rolled and trained more than ever since recovery and it hasn't given me any problems at all...best thing you can do is let it heal properly.I remember hearing a pop and then ignoring it and about a minute later i felt it rip...hurt like hell!

It still hurts, been about a week. How long before you started drilling again?

I tried to drill after like 2 months and it started feeling like it was going to rip again,so i just waited until that feeling was totally gone.I don't know how bad of tear you had,but i have a feeling that mine was pretty bad.

I had the same injury, you will be fine, I had to sit out for about 6 weeks before I could roll again.

Just let it heal right and you will be fine, take you time enjoy other things in life.

Seriously, do not even consider rolling with this. When this happened to me I returned after almost a month and a half. I popped the the rib again and was out for over 6 months.

give it a month to heal. Then focus on your conditioning for a 2 months or so. That when you do return that you will be in as good if not better shape than when you left.

I popped one in October last year and was out til Jan. I waited until 1 week after zero pain and took it easy first few classes.

Now that rib is 100% again and I am nursing new wounds..lol

Had torn costal cartilage when I was 28; took about 6-7 weeks for me to start training (lightly) again. As everyone said, don't rush it.

If the same injury happened now, I'd probably just quit. Everything on me is falling apart.

I had it ,still to this day a feel it on certain moves or if in a bad position 2yrs ago it happened I use a rib binder when training

HOUSEOFPAINMMA - I had it ,still to this day a feel it on certain moves or if in a bad position 2yrs ago it happened I use a rib binder when training

Does the rib binder help out a lot?

This just plain sucks. I had it happen to me years ago and it still comes back every once in a while. I remember when it first happened how much it sucked just to twist around to back up a car.

I tried wrapping it tightly with an ace bandage and kept coming back to practice but I was worthless. Every time you get driven to the mat it feels like you're getting stabbed.

This happened on my left side about a year ago. I took 4 days off and then pushed through the pain for about an additional 10-12 days before it stopped hurting bad. I didn't know you were suppose to take longer time off. I do still feel it occasionally at certain odd shrimping angles.