Toughill or Coenen for Cyborg Title SHOT?

I hope you get your chance soon, Erin!

Just a few things in reply to the original post.

1) If Sarah Kaufman did, in fact, turn down a chance to fight you, then I'm glad that she did. All of this coming way up in weight nonsense needs to come to an end. I understand that there are far fewer competitors at the 145-pound level than at 135, but expecting the top 135-pound fighters to have to come up in weight for fights is not at all fair.

Just as you said, it's difficult for you to make 145, so imagine if you were offered a fight at 135 and had to turn it down. Nobody would have any right to be critical of you for that because you have to do what makes the most sense for your career and your health.

Hitomi Akano coming up (from 128 pounds) to face Cyborg, who was apparently at around 165 come fight time, was one of the saddest things that I've witnessed in years of following the women's division of MMA, and that sort of stuff needs to come to an immediate end if the division is to be taken seriously.

2) Marloes Coenen narrowly lost a Split Decision to Roxanne at the K-GRACE event, and actually had Roxanne tapping out to a heel hook at the end of round one. However, the submission came after the bell rang, so the fight continued. Roxanne gamely came back strong in the latter rounds, but it is highly inaccurate to imply that that fight was a dominant win for Roxanne. It definitely was not.

3) Having said that, I do not dispute your comments regarding Marloes's recent fights, as her loss to Cindy Dandois was pretty detrimental and beating a winless teenager (Asci Kubra) twice isn't exactly noteworthy. You've strung together a number of wins, whereas she is coming off of a loss. However, she is actually set to compete in an event in Europe in October, before she fights for Strikeforce. If she loses that fight, I can pretty much guarantee that she's not going to be given a title shot against Cyborg if she's coming off of two losses...

4) This is not really part of the "who should get the title shot" discussion, but I interviewed Marloes after the Strikeforce post-fight press conference on Saturday (then talked to her and her Golden Glory teammates for about two hours), and she actually has mostly positive things to say about you. She had previously been alleged to have called you arrogant and some other similar things, but the reality is that that never actually happened (see below).

She does refer to you as not being a part of the August 15th card due to issues with weight, however, but that's about it. The video interview is a little over four minutes long if you want to hear what else she said. Apologies for the background noise, as there were about 150 people in the room.

http://www.mmarising.com/news/2009081501INT.html

Toughill X Gina is good matchup. Both are athletic and marketable. Gina comes from NFL player genes and Toughill fought Ali's daughter.

Cyborg is a different beast altogethor. The only way to beat her is to take an olympic wrestler/boxer/judoka and train her to fight MMA or to find a transgendered Muay Thai fighter. The current crop of female MMA fighters are either too small or not skilled/tough enough.

I think it's pretty poor form to come on here and disrespect Coenen in this way.

Both of you have good records and are obviously serious players in the women's MMA scene who have a strong claim at a shot at Cyborg.
Both of you have imperfect records.
Both of you are easy on the eyes (which shouldn't matter, but sadly it seems to).
Only one of you came onto a public message board to disrespect the other.

Lots of good points made on this thread... I suggest having a serious think about your self-marketing before continuing along this line of advertising.

Any time you have to resort to talking shit about other people....your stance is obviously very weak. The best self-promotion does not say ANYTHING bad about an opponent. In fact, it should be quite the opposite.

If you have an issue with an opposing fighter, sing their praises saying, "They are very good, and deserve their shot like anyone else". Then when you kick the shit out of them everyone knows that YOU ARE NOW THE SHIT....and you didn't even have to say it yourself.

Erin Toughill - 
WrestlingSucks - I remember a similar thread a couple years ago where you wanted to box Ali and when I simply said that she was probably out of your league in boxing, you blew up like a third grader.

I hope, if you do get the fight and win the title, you represent yourself a little better. People aren't always going to agree with you.

Ummm, Ill have to respectfully disagree. It was about 5 years ago now, but I did not say she was "out of my league". I truly believed that I could BEAT her, which is much different. Although I have a strong opinion on things, part of posting is KNOWING that people do have opinions. I believe in myself, and that is what matters to me. What I do know, is I cannot think of any of girl (that did or does MMA) who could be ranked in the top 5 in Boxing AND MMA simultaneously, which I did for a period. I did pretty decent for not even being a boxer lol and getting my ass kicked did not do anything to change my opinion of myself. I am still a good fighter & its when you LOSE, that when someone's true colors come out.

There are a lot of great female fighters out there, but no one knows of them. I feel people might be fans of my fighting, but it's also about promoting yourself. You might not like how I promote myself, but it works. And you are entitled to your opinion; whether you like me as a fighter or not. It's no issue with me. Whether ppl think I will win or NOT, that's also not an issue.

I am glad some ppl realize how hard it REALLY is to get down to 145 lol And if I could get to 135, I would. Prior to Gina, women did (and still do) had to fight in lower/higher weight classes. So it was not uncommon for us to go up and down to get chances just to fight. When mentionin Sara, its more to the fact that she had expressed interest in a higher class prior to her being pumped for 135. She has fought higher and lower. But I would stay in one class if I was given a title shot also. Those were some of the names that came off hand. Any minute her coach will come in here and freak out lol

I took 2007 off for personal reasons. I took 2008 off to shoot American Gladiators.

*Fought Nov 2008 @ 150 lbs. WON UD
*Fought Feb 2009 @ 148 lbs. WON TKO
*Fought May 2009 @ 144 lbs. WON UD...def not an easy task lol For obvious reasons, did not fight Aug 15th. So I have been pretty active and if they give me a TV fight before title shot, great. If not, Im sure ill be just fine :)

didnt realize youve been so active...u definitely deserve a shot b4 coenen...perhaps it was due to your piss poor management?

Erin would beat Cyborg without a doubt! This fight needs to happen!

Erin, stop bringing Sarah's name up...she's not even in your weight class. make 145 and beat a legit opponent and leave it at that. She's 10-0 and a force at 135...stop the hate.

Bobby Lupo -  It's a logical fight for Strikeforce to make. They could introduce Erin to the casual fans in a promo and they'll know she's legit. I think it would be a good fight. For one thing, Erin wouldn't be overpowered by Cyborg. That changes the whole game. I don't know who wins, but I know that I would watch. Cyborg vs. some of these other women, I'm not too interested in.

AND she WAS on American Gladiators season II - STEEL (just more to market) , she's a zmokin'  hot tomatoe,  and although it's pronounced TOE HILL , she be TOUGH and ILL..........  Erin , if I may...................and TELL ME SHE'S NOT 'marketable' .........  Go Ahead TRY to tell me......... 

I wouldn't mind seeing Toughill vs Cyborg. Then again don't have problem with Toughill vs Carano & winner vs Cyborg/Marloes fight.

Actually, both Marloes AND Erin deserve a shot at Cyborg and I'm sure both will get it. My guess is that Marloes will probably be first though because I'd bet that stipulation was part of the deal for her being brought in as the replacement.

Any minute her coach will come in here and freak out lol

I am FREAKING out RIGHT MEOW!!!!

Sarah's COACH!!! lol

Erin Toughill 

I am glad some ppl realize how hard it REALLY is to get down to 145 lol And if I could get to 135, I would. Prior to Gina, women did (and still do) had to fight in lower/higher weight classes. So it was not uncommon for us to go up and down to get chances just to fight. When mentionin Sara, its more to the fact that she had expressed interest in a higher class prior to her being pumped for 135. She has fought higher and lower. But I would stay in one class if I was given a title shot also. Those were some of the names that came off hand. Any minute her coach will come in here and freak out lol

I understand that you are having trouble finding fights with people at your weight class...and that can definitely be frustrating. I went for 13 months without a fight, under different circumstances, but I still understand where you are coming from. However, I have not fought above 135 lbs since April 2007, and have been fairly adamant at staying at 135 now that I'm there. In almost every interview that I have done, and where people have asked me if I would fight Gina or Cyborg, I have always said that I am happy at 135 and would ONLY go up under certain circumstances (ie. no more girls at 135, a HUGE opportunity at the right time in my career).  I have not been the one expressing interest in going up to 145, and when I was offered the fight with you, it was at an even higher weight of 150.

I do hope that you are able to find some good quality opponents to fight at 145...but I wouldn't be too upset that 135lb fighters (myself, Vanessa Porto, even Kobald who has said that she was trying to get down to 130) don't want to go up to fight someone who walks around at 170 or higher (according to you). Best of luck to you and your fighting career.

I was wondering when the biggest smile in MMA would show up.

Sarah Kaufman - 
Erin Toughill 

I understand that you are having trouble finding fights with people at your weight class...and that can definitely be frustrating. I went for 13 months without a fight, under different circumstances, but I still understand where you are coming from. However, I have not fought above 135 lbs since April 2007, and have been fairly adamant at staying at 135 now that I'm there. In almost every interview that I have done, and where people have asked me if I would fight Gina or Cyborg, I have always said that I am happy at 135 and would ONLY go up under certain circumstances (ie. no more girls at 135, a HUGE opportunity at the right time in my career).  I have not been the one expressing interest in going up to 145, and when I was offered the fight with you, it was at an even higher weight of 150.

I do hope that you are able to find some good quality opponents to fight at 145...but I wouldn't be too upset that 135lb fighters (myself, Vanessa Porto, even Kobald who has said that she was trying to get down to 130) don't want to go up to fight someone who walks around at 170 or higher (according to you). Best of luck to you and your fighting career.

^^^ This is class. OP is not.

RyannVonDoom - 
Zedlepln - 

I was wondering when the biggest smile in MMA would show up.

I posted earlier in this thread. Jerk.

LOL

estarriol - 
Sarah Kaufman - 
Erin Toughill 

^^^ This is class. OP is not.

+1

Never really understood why people want the 135ers to fight the 145ers. That is almost like LHW in the UFC most stacked division vs MW which isn't right now.

Fight cyborg? Have a nice nap when she tags you on the button. Laura Ramsey all over again...

How could you not smile at a picture like that?